Help to decide with job

Hi. Been offerd a new job. But really not sure what to do. My current job I'm a labour good money finished everyday at 3.30 with no weekends the job it's self so laid back. New job is in retail management side little bit more money but more hours but job as security as a big company.

Job 1 said his layed back with no stress but at 37 years old can I keep labouring

Job 2 I did for 14 years only left due to area manager. Who as now left know the job with my eyes closed and know the job will be there for along time

Do I take less stress and shorter hours or good job with good money but more hours

I'm really stuck if any one as been in this situation can you please advice me what made you choose thanks for any help.

Danny x

I'm sure it's a choice lots of people have to decide on.

Personally I would choose a job with less stress though less money. I've been in a job where the pay is more but the stress of the job was overwhelming....To the point where I couldn't enjoy the extra money because of the hassle the job with more responsibility.

Only you know yourself - what you can handle and what's important to you.

Thanks for reply Mister M. I totally understand what your saying but the job with less stress is my age at 38 this year I'm not getting no younger the job is stress free but hard graft say in two years will the company want a new young lad or will the company go bust as its building trade. I'm my own worst enemy lol should be thinking positive but just don't know what to do. Thanks for advice tho

If you can do the management job with your eyes closed is it really stressful at all? More money and all the opportunities that more money brings, a possible ladder to climb, looks better on CV if you are made redundant.

Labouring is physically demanding and a buildr doesn’t need to go bust to get rid if staff, just a slight downturn. Now if the builder was going to commit to training you up I might look at it differently.

As you say you’re never gatting younger, you probably need to assume you will wirk to at least 70 before retiring.

The longer you’re out of an office environment the more it will have changed by the time you try to go back.

I'm sure it's a choice lots of people have to decide on.

Personally I would choose a job with less stress though less money. I've been in a job where the pay is more but the stress of the job was overwhelming....To the point where I couldn't enjoy the extra money because of the hassle the job with more responsibility.

Only you know yourself - what you can handle and what's important to you.

I agree,i chose the second option maximum stress ,long hours,demanding customers but better money.If i could travel back forty years i would choose a different option,i am an example of what happens to you after doing a job like that for a long time,poor health comes with the job over a long period.

Learn on the job,you must know that its not that hard to learn a building skill.38 this year isn't old, wish I was,I still work in a physical job for my own firm.I learned long ago self employment is more rewarding financially,so my way of thinking is biased to that route.Good luck in what choice you make.

I've recently swapped jobs. Taken a £3k a year hit on wages and having to learn a whole new job after 16 years but the stress levels are lower and it means I don't have to commute to Leeds.

It's the little differences I notice, petty I'd call them, but after 16 years in one job with it's rules and regulations, dress codes and working regulations it's been annoying to have to adhere to whole new set.

I chose to get out of the physical job into non manual because you can only go so long and you could finish in a bad situation, as my colleague did who carried on. At 60 he was in pain all day. Couldn't get disability and job centre told him to train for a new career, like as if employer's would be scrabbling to employ a 60 odd year old with no experience.

Thankyou every one for your comments. Sometimes other people's views help again thankyou I now start my new job on Tuesday again thankyou x

Thankyou every one for your comments. Sometimes other people's views help again thankyou I now start my new job on Tuesday again thankyou x

Congratulations. Hope its great.

<deleted>

No reason for comment now as you've taken the job.