John Benn Tapton Crescent Road, Francis Barnett motorcycle

Hi, I am looking for information regarding my 80 year old francis Barnett seagull 250 cc motorcycle purchased in Sheffield from Frank Ropers on London road back in 1937.

The last known owner around 1979 was a John Benn from 6 Tapton Crescent Road, but the present home owners have no info regarding the properties past occupants.

I would like to piece together the history of bikes owners prior to John Benn. I’m told the bike was kept in memory of a soldier who never returned from the war for many years! If anyone knows anything or if this was a relative of yours I’d love to hear from you, and maybe get to fill in the gaps regarding the previous owners.

Thanks in advance

Jason

Have you tried a search on your reg number through your search engine? Just a thought as the bike could have been to shows etc.

Hi, I have been told the DVLA can run searches on old owners so will give that a try. I will also put the reg into a search but it has been used as an ornament for years so doubt if it will have been to any shows. Thanks again

Might also be worthwhile contacting Old Bike Mart magazine.

John Benn was a metalwork teacher at King Edwards, and a lovely bloke. It's definitely the same one, I remember him living on there. Doubt he's still alive now though, I was a pupil of his 30+ years ago and he was on the verge of retirement then, he'd probably be in his mid 90s now if he's still around.