Why no receipts?

I recently purchased a cheap mobile phone from one of the big mobile retailers.When I paid I asked for my receipt and was told the company no longer gave receipts,everything was in their system,if anything went wrong I should take it back to any of their shops and they would check on their computer that it was still under warranty and do the necessary repairs.As the phone was only a cheap one I didn't bother .However when I got home I started thinking. I could have bought a £500 phone and I would still have not got a receipt,if I had any problems and went back and there was any mistake on their system I would have no way of proving when and where it was bought,I could stand to lose a fair amount of cash,especially as I had had previous problems with this company trying to get out of warranty work.So from now on any company not giving a receipt-no deal.I will take notice of ITVs Judge Rinder who always says "always have a contract" or "always have a receipt"you will then be able to make a claim.

Edited by ivan edake
spelling.

Saves having to dig out the receipt if anything goes wrong I suppose. I bought a charger for my fellas Mac book air from Apple store in Meadowhall on the Sunday before Christmas. On Boxing Day I had to take it back as I ordered the wrong one. I was not given a receipt but opted for the email option. The email never arrived but I was in and out in minutes when the looked on there system.

They could send a receipt via email like many retailers do.

Apparently there is no legal obligation to provide a receipt.

https://www.theguardian.com/notesandqueries/query/0,5753,-22696,00.html

You are of course entitled to not purchase the item when you learn that no receipt will be issued (the main reason to have a receipt would be for your proof of purchase and their assertion that they keep records might not be enough for a cynical person).

Would i be seen as cynical if i suggested that sending reciepts by e mail is another way to send you spam??

Apparently there is no legal obligation to provide a receipt.

https://www.theguardian.com/notesandqueries/query/0,5753,-22696,00.html

You are of course entitled to not purchase the item when you learn that no receipt will be issued (the main reason to have a receipt would be for your proof of purchase and their assertion that they keep records might not be enough for a cynical person).

Yes you are right Cyclone,I am cynical.This is Rip off Britain,most companies don't care one jot about customer satisfaction or customer service.I have had Trading Standards on to this company before when they were telling Porkies, but it is such a long drawn out process because Trading Standards wont become involved until three letters have been written to the offending company,they will then become involved if there is still no satisfactory outcome.Having a receipt is 90% of the battle.There is also still loads of people who don't have a computer,therefore no E.Mail address for a receipt to be sent to.

---------- Post added 02-01-2018 at 19:18 ----------

Would i be seen as cynical if i suggested that sending reciepts by e mail is another way to send you spam??

Not Cynical,but sensible enough to think about it and realise it is a possibility.

I recently purchased a cheap mobile phone from one of the big mobile retailers.When I paid I asked for my receipt and was told the company no longer gave receipts,everything was in their system,if anything went wrong I should take it back to any of their shops and they would check on their computer that it was still under warranty and do the necessary repairs.As the phone was only a cheap one I didn't bother .However when I got home I started thinking. I could have bought a £500 phone and I would still have not got a receipt,if I had any problems and went back and there was any mistake on their system I would have no way of proving when and where it was bought,I could stand to lose a fair amount of cash,especially as I had had previous problems with this company trying to get out of warranty work.So from now on any company not giving a receipt-no deal.I will take notice of ITVs Judge Rinder who always says "always have a contract" or "always have a receipt"you will then be able to make a claim.

Pay by card, the transaction on your statement is all the proof you need.

Pay by card, the transaction on your statement is all the proof you need.

Is it though? It's proof of spending money in the store, but they could dispute the specific item, say it cost £19.99 and is a branded item that can be bought in many places... They conveniently can't find it on their records, and they say that you spending £19.99 with them isn't proof that you bought that item.

What now?

From a shops point of view, they need a copy of the receipt to see if what they've sold, tallies up with the money they've made. If someone hadn't given you one, and haven't done it through the till, it could mean they've pocketed the money. I remember when the 99p store was asking you to report if you'd not been given one.

Same with Argos.

Bought something online, paid with card, picked up at their outlet in Dronfield.

Was advised that my 'receipt' was my earlier email order confirmation and my text message giving an order reference number.

Same with Argos.

Bought something online, paid with card, picked up at their outlet in Dronfield.

Was advised that my 'receipt' was my earlier email order confirmation and my text message giving an order reference number.

This is fair enough,you have the equivalent of a receipt.The phone company I am referring to offered absolutely nothing only their word that everything was on their system.

This is fair enough,you have the equivalent of a receipt.The phone company I am referring to offered absolutely nothing only their word that everything was on their system.

Granted, but I doubt if I'll save the email and text for 12 months!