Sign in to follow this  

Mary Ann Rawson

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/ziongraveyardattercliffe?utm_id=106&utm_term=VZxe4kN36

Not many people know that Sheffield women abolitionists were the driving force both re abolition of slavery and the drive to women getting the vote. One such great woman was Mary Ann Rawson. We have a few days left to save her monument and a small important piece of Attercliffe's unique history being turned into a carpark. Please tell everyone you can think of and lets save an important piece of our heritage.

We went looking for this the other day and it seemed to be completely inaccessible. Surely her remains will be respectfully exhumed and reinterred?

Have shared on Facebook.

Edited by lectrolove

The whole point is to make it accessible. And I doubt anyone will care where she goes. Was only found out recently by someone researching Mary Ann Rawson and soon after she learned that the graveyard was being sold. I was in there during Heritage Open Day and it has great potential as both a memorial to Mary Ann and a wildlife haven. Rawson is of international importance yet how many have heard her name or know her contribution?

The group have work days every week to clear away the rubbish so if you go onto their website you can find out when the graveyard is accessible to visitors and take a look then.

This is an important part of Sheffield's Heritage and should be protected. I see that the target is getting closer. It would be outrageous for the graveyard to become a car park when one of those buried there has done so much towards the Abolitionist movement.

They have reached 90% of their target. I do hope they reach this as I do believe we can push for a lot more funding on the basis of this, especially as there is a focus on women activists this year there is a chance for getting big publicity for Mary ann Rawson both for Zion Cemetery and Wincobank chapel.