Crystal Bar - reopened after NYE stabbings

banning the implement like knives and guns wont stop the idiots and those hell bent on causing someone harm, a harmless biro pen can inflict horrific injuries to an eye or neck its the idiots that need clamping down on zero tolerance, even if they look likely to cause trouble in club ban entry.

afraid not

C+P

The maximum penalty for an adult carrying a knife is 4 years in prison and an unlimited fine. You’ll get a prison sentence if you’re convicted of carrying a knife more than once.

https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives

Since you can legally carry a knife, there is clearly no mandatory sentence for carrying one.

My work takes me to various nightspots and yes, I carry a multitool - with a knife.

But now you're putting caveats in. Can carry one for work as I'm less likely to kill you while I'm on the clock? I've normally got one on my keys. It gets used for all sorts of things, some days it doesn't get used at all. I carried one round Morrisons the other day. Do you think other shoppers were at risk?

Be careful many mulitools knives are classed as locking knives and so illegal to carry, some one got prosecuted for having one in his car when stopped by police. No doubt i will get the usual o no they didn't sf pantominers so i had better start searching for a link now.

In the old days a clubbing with the wheel brace was the method of choice but they were never banned.

It was never the best place, but Crystal never used to be this bad. Wasn't there a serious sexual assault there too?

i dont need to explain.

no one ever has to explain to a policeman why you are NOT breaking a law.

sorry office i am doing no wrong. enjoy your donut. goodbye.

also. for curiosity. as a 53yr old man with no arrests or police activity in my life. why on earth would i ever have to be talking to a policeman anyway unless i was reporting a crime.

Someone of a similar description to you could have done something so under stop and search powers you could be stopped, searched and asked question regardless of not having any police activity in your life.

yes, still though, this part of the debate is still shying away from real issues. Every law in existence is because of a moron, and as laws change, so do the morons. Morons aren't stupid! :hihi:

The public at large will shout [and do], if things like this become large scale, start to 'demand things'. Even if every pub and club spent thousands on metal detectors, these people will just use something else. Jails are pretty tight and still they can get pretty much anything in, so what chance have clubs.

I remember Republic and Bed both having metal detectors on the door. Pat-downs for weapons and drugs were a pretty regular sight. Not that I ever really felt unsafe there - seems like security was relatively effective.

I remember Republic and Bed both having metal detectors on the door. Pat-downs for weapons and drugs were a pretty regular sight. Not that I ever really felt unsafe there - seems like security was relatively effective.

The attack in crystal was done with a broken bottle, so all the metal detectors in the world wouldn't have made a difference

The attack in crystal was done with a broken bottle, so all the metal detectors in the world wouldn't have made a difference

Fair enough, but again, serving drinks in glass was a pretty rare sight in clubs 'back in the day'.

True enough. They could ban anyone carrying any blade anywhere. You could stab someone with a screwdriver or a ball point pen, or a broken bottle.

And people will still carry a weapon they can pick up at a pound shop. Unless we ban knives in their entirety altogether. Which we can't.

We have laws banning the killing of people. Let's really enforce that one. 60 years no parole rather than 15 years then out in 8 nonsense.

Like you, and others on here, I have almost always carried a small folding pocket knife for well over 45 years, and have never found the need to threaten anyone.

However, I do have concerns with the new proposed legislation on offensive weapons.

See THIS LINK as a downloadable pdf; you will note that there doesn't seem to be any mention of sub 3" folders; just "an article with blade or point".

See the proposals in section C p11 et. seq. which cover extending schools to universities, collages, etc.

OK you and I may not actually go into the buildings themselves, but I certainly pass through the grounds on a regular basis, either walking under Western Bank, or near Hallam univ. when going to the bus station.

Knowing how badly knee jerk legislation can be drafted, it concerns me that otherwise law abiding folks such as ourselves will suddenly be declared dangerous criminals, without even being aware of it.

Also see the proposals banning the internet sales of items to private addresses, so even tradesmen, working from home, will no longer be able to order the tools of their trade for home delivery.

Ouch, where did this information come from? I'm not questioning it at all just curious.

The description could be as vague as "male, wearing a jumper", on a day that you're wearing a jumper and in the wrong place at the wrong time.

and of course pigs might fly.

trust me on this. there is NO ONE of my description..

Are you a green skinned alien with big sticky out ears? :hihi: