Drunk Tanks. Pressure Release for A & Es?

Good idea.and if possible look for phone numbers of family and friends to come pick them up...Imagine having to pick up your drunken son or daughter a few nights running.

Absolutely ridiculous idea to consider charging. It’s a change culture and attitude that is required not simply applying the stick approach.

What next? Not giving help to lung cancer patients because they may have smoked at some point in their lives? The fundamentals of the NHS is that you are given help based on your need whatever that maybe.

It is people like you that endanger the NHS as we know it.

No it really isn't. Going out and getting completely smashed on alcohol/drugs is an option. It isn't a 'lifestyle' choice. If you are so irresponsible that you cause the NHS a problem in looking after you, than you have to pay for it. Simple as that. I like my drinks, I have NEVER been admitted to hospital for it. If I had been, I would have appreciated a 'wake up call' in the long term - you know, the one that says - sort your stuff out, if you do this again you will end up paying £500 to the state.

One of the few places where a state is useful!

I think it's clearly a good idea, and much of the rest of the thread is bordering on facebook or twitter type conversation.

It surprises me when people who are generally left-wing write this sort of thing.

Who's left-wing? (Sorry, always triggers me this distinction between left and right ;) )

The solution is already there,d and d, locked up until next day and straight from cells to court.It seems police are reluctant to do this,paper work perhaps?

It's more like cost, lottiecass.

This would cost a lot of money, and what would actually happen is that the people who get locked up would be mainly people with no money or little money.

The left would love this, if Tory's brought it in.

The right would love this, if Labour brought this in.

In other words, it's a rubbish idea, as would just cost a lot of money, and we'd just end up with loads of time and money wasted, and towns wouldn't be any better.

Good idea.and if possible look for phone numbers of family and friends to come pick them up...Imagine having to pick up your drunken son or daughter a few nights running.

:confused: lala land

Can't see the Torys going for this; way to ideological; and wouldn't work.

Can't see Labour going for this, as even they could see this not working.

---------- Post added 30-12-2017 at 17:18 ----------

Who's left-wing? (Sorry, always triggers me this distinction between left and right ;) )

Well Anna wrote it as far as I could see, but the quotes were mixed up, so removed her name. So it was just a point in general.

The reason is because charging (or hanged:hihi:) for being drunk and billing them, sounds like far-right ideology. Far left and far right aren't far apart though.

The solution is already there,d and d, locked up until next day and straight from cells to court.It seems police are reluctant to do this,paper work perhaps?

That was my idea as well, but you have posted before I got to post. That's the solution, drunk,cell, Court.

Angel1.

That was my idea as well, but you have posted before I got to post. That's the solution, drunk,cell, Court.

Angel1.

OK, so let's start with this ideology.

If 3 people get locked up. One is a millionaire, one is a homeless man with MI, and one is on NMW

What would you set the fine at?

The papers and the rest of the left ideologists would be up in arms if the millionaire wasn't hammered - and even then, they'll say, not enough, it was only 0.1% of his wealth. We see this every day on social media. The homeless man would be brought up by every Labour politician in any debate for 2 years, and no one would give a **** about the bloke on NMW. That's society now. Completely black and white, and no one thinks about the majority of people, politics just concentrates on the 2 opposites richest vs poorest.

-

I'm surprised no one has the answers, it's not that difficult. People are just programmed these days into punishment / tax / fines etc.

Edited by *_ash_*

Cost ash? how much do you think its costing the nhs? with no chance of recouping any costs from drunks.As for poor drunks,they manage to be able to find enough cash to get ****** so tough luck ,fine them all equal amounts graduated per offence.If the fines were a realistic amount maybe people would get a taxi home instead of creating problems.

Absolutely ridiculous idea to consider charging. It’s a change culture and attitude that is required not simply applying the stick approach.

What next? Not giving help to lung cancer patients because they may have smoked at some point in their lives? The fundamentals of the NHS is that you are given help based on your need whatever that maybe.

It is people like you that endanger the NHS as we know it.

So what help does a drunk need except sleep?

I wish people wouldn't compare the cost of medication between what can and what can't be prevented. You can't stop yourself getting cancer, you can stop yourself becoming an drunk.

It could be a coincidence that the few alcoholics i know have almost no requirement for hospitalisation,they walk the streets ,get hammered and go home to sleep it off. Then start again next day.

So even an addict isn't causing the trouble that the little boys and girls do every weekend.

In my twenties, I was a one time customer in one of those.

It was a bad experience, but in the same time, it was a warning that I really need to stop binge drinking sessions.

OK, so let's start with this ideology.

If 3 people get locked up. One is a millionaire, one is a homeless man with MI, and one is on NMW

What would you set the fine at?

The papers and the rest of the left ideologists would be up in arms if the millionaire wasn't hammered - and even then, they'll say, not enough, it was only 0.1% of his wealth. We see this every day on social media. The homeless man would be brought up by every Labour politician in any debate for 2 years, and no one would give a **** about the bloke on NMW. That's society now. Completely black and white, and no one thinks about the majority of people, politics just concentrates on the 2 opposites richest vs poorest.

-

I'm surprised no one has the answers, it's not that difficult. People are just programmed these days into punishment / tax / fines etc.

Like Tim said earlier you maybe start charging on the third visit. It isn’t a fine but the cost of a nights stay in the hotel for drunks.

I could imagine it wouldn’t be cheap. Say it might cost a couple of million to build a facility and it’d probably be built privately so any repayments have to factor that in. You’d need at least three staff for safety reasons. They’d have to be trained etc... You’d need on-call staff like doctors, social workers etc... You’d have to heat and light the place.

I’d say the cost of a night in one of those places could easily be well north of £500 - just charge anybody who ends up in there the same and that is the full cost of their stay. It’s not a fine and the places might end up doing good rather than being considered as punishment. For example pressure on other services reduces and if operated correctly they could be gateways to support services for people who would otherwise fly under the radar. If somebody ends up in one of those places their drunk mates can go home rather than infesting A&E all night.

Would"nt a dunk tank soon sober them up.

Make them walk a mile , after it's snowed. And then give them a mirror, so they can realize they look like poop. And wag your finger at them. That should do the trick.

I would be quite happy for things to stay the same, except our laws need to be enforced. I am sure we already have 'drunk and disorderly' and ................

Welll Anna wrote it as far as I could see, but the quotes were mixed up, so removed her name. So it was just a point in general.

The reason is because charging (or hanged:hihi:) for being drunk and billing them, sounds like far-right ideology. Far left and far right aren't far apart though.

Sounds like common sense to me. (And I am neither far-left nor far-right.)

It's not a big deal.

But if you get so legless you become a danger to yourself and others, you need a place to be safe, so why wouldn't you expect to pay for the facilities? If you throw up in a taxi, you would (rightly) be expected to pay the cost of cleaning it up.

Edited by Anna B