Pet insurance companies

I’m looking in to getting pet insurance for our rescue Staffy, approximately 6 year’s old, we’ve had her spayed, no health problems, fully vaccinated, regular vet checks etc so hopefully not difficult to insure so just looking for recommendations as to which company is the best to go with, and who to avoid. Thank you!

My last dog was an English Bull Terrier (they are wonderful family dogs) He came with insurance from Petplan which we continued with.It was excellent - he was diagnosed with a serious heart condition when he was seven years old and was on medication until he died three years later.The tests required for the initial diagnosis cost £300 and the tablets were approximately £85 per month.Petplan paid for everything except the £50 excess on the policy which we paid at the time,everything else was covered. We only paid the excess once.It was expensive though ,and when we bought our current dog ( a mini BT this time) I decided to opt for Animal Friends ,who were cheaper.Big mistake - the only time we tried to claim,it wasn’t covered( dental treatment) So I guess the rule is “ you get what you pay for”.If we ever have another dog ( this one is 12 now) I will definitely go back to Petplan.

Thank you, that’s really helpful!

I’ve asked the same question on Facebook and a friend has also just recommended PetPlan.

We’ve just gone with the ‘Insurance Emporium’ for our Pointer. We’ve got a ‘whole of life policy’ meaning we can claim for the same problem should it recurr over and over. We’ve got a £75 excess and pay £12 per month. Pretty happy with the service so far!

I use animal friends , they have paid out no questions asked a few times for various animals . I have always been treated well when i have spoke to them too .

I've made claims with morethan and they were great. Had animal friends before and tried to claim for a foreign body removal of £2500 but there was a clause I had missed stating you could only claim up to £500 per condition plus pay an excess. It was advertised as £3000 limit but the clause wasn't clear. They also tried to get out of paying saying the previous foreign body removal wasn't stated as a previous medical condition. I had to argue that it wasn't a medical condition. Wouldn't touch animal friends again.

Thanks everyone, that’s been really helpful. I’ve had a few Facebook comments telling me to avoid Animal Friends too so I’ll definitely take that advice and shall look into the other recommendations. Thank you!

Thanks everyone, that’s been really helpful. I’ve had a few Facebook comments telling me to avoid Animal Friends too so I’ll definitely take that advice and shall look into the other recommendations. Thank you!

we were told that too , but we were already with them when Bella had a neurological problem , we rang them and explained they told us to go ahead , they paid out within 14 days of the bill , by that time Bella had a similar other issue they were just so kind and helpful , even when the inevitable end of her illness resulted in loss we were paid out 14 days later , not that that replaced Bella but the quickness and the closure was really professional .

I found Petplan on onestoppetshop.co.uk but it was listed under horses but they cover allsorts of pets. seemed like good prices and cover so did some more research and found plenty of others who used them.