Why does the Council feel the need to enforce bus lanes on Xmas Day?

As you are well aware from previous posts, overall highway capacity is largely governed by junction capacity. Bus lanes generally end before the junction so don't affect network capacity.

In light traffic conditions, motorists will gain no advantage by using the bus lane.

Yes, I agree, but equally there is no reason to be enforcing the lanes.

---------- Post added 29-12-2017 at 10:05 ----------

we are all equal but bus and taxi passengers are some how more deserving of a quick journey than other road users. I don't think so.

Multi occupancy vehicles are given a benefit to encourage there use.

I'm not sure why that includes taxi's though, as not counting the driver they are often single occupancy.

It’s patently obviously why the road system is in such disarray having read some of planner1’s comments!!

Yeah..his comment.".If the bus lane stops before the junction and all traffic can use all lanes, how does it cause traffic congestion? How quickly traffic can flow over the stop line at the junction is what determines junction capacity and whether there will be a queue." Shows how little he knows.

On the subject of taxis using bus lanes. I'm hearing from a lot of drivers that many are now going home during rush hour, as it is not economically viable to work when the traffic is moving as slow as it does during those times. Taxi drivers get paid by the mile, so, clearly, if traffic is virtually at a standstill, their earnings can drop below the level necessary to cover their business expenses (fuel, radio, taxes, maintenance etc).

So I'd say that is a good reason why taxis should be allowed to use bus lanes- it encourages them to continue working during rush hours.

Additionally, a lot of disabled people use taxis- they will be severely affected if numbers diminish.

And of course, a lot of hospital users, including large numbers of dialysis patients, use taxis- for those, it is critical that they aren't held up in static traffic.

On the subject of taxis using bus lanes. I'm hearing from a lot of drivers that many are now going home during rush hour, as it is not economically viable to work when the traffic is moving as slow as it does during those times. Taxi drivers get paid by the mile, so, clearly, if traffic is virtually at a standstill, their earnings can drop below the level necessary to cover their business expenses (fuel, radio, taxes, maintenance etc).

So I'd say that is a good reason why taxis should be allowed to use bus lanes- it encourages them to continue working during rush hours.

Additionally, a lot of disabled people use taxis- they will be severely affected if numbers diminish.

And of course, a lot of hospital users, including large numbers of dialysis patients, use taxis- for those, it is critical that they aren't held up in static traffic.

I've never been unable to get a taxi in the rush hours.

Hackney meters apply a waiting charge when stationary or travelling slower than 8mph.

There is no justification for subsidising one sector's income over another's. My time is as valuable as any taxi driver's.

If you have an appointment that involves travelling during rush hour, set off earlier.

Edited by cgksheff

I've never been unable to get a taxi in the rush hours.
Lucky you. I've often been unable to get one in rush hour

Hackney meters apply a waiting charge when stationary or travelling slower than 8mph.

and City cabs don't.

There is no justification for subsidising one sector's income over another's. My time is as valuable as any taxi driver's.

'Subsidising', I would say, is not the right word. I was talking about taxi's being allowed to use bus lanes, and gave several good justifications for that.

SYPTE are doing a review of the existing bus lanes to see if they are still needed.

So the people whos job it is to promote buses over cars are reviewing the need to keep bus lanes.........

Think I know how this will end up..........

'Subsidising', I would say, is not the right word. I was talking about taxi's being allowed to use bus lanes, and gave several good justifications for that.

Subsidising is a very good term.

My (and your) taxes are being used to give a pecuniary advantage to taxi drivers, whether plying, carrying a fare, doing their own shopping or whatever.

As in some other towns, it should be stopped.

Subsidising is a very good term.

My (and your) taxes are being used to give a pecuniary advantage to taxi drivers, whether plying, carrying a fare, doing their own shopping or whatever.

As in some other towns, it should be stopped.

Taxis / Private Hire Vehicles are seen as public transport.

One taxi can fulfil the transport needs of many people throughout the day, which means those people don't need to use a car and clog up the already congested streets.

Most towns / cities allow taxis to use bus lanes, some allow Private Hire Vehicles (PHV's).

I'm not aware of any towns / cities where they have actually stopped taxis / PHV's having access. The growing trend is for more towns/cities to allow PHV's in bus lanes.

You also have to remember that decisions like this are political ones, taken by Councillors. The taxi lobby is quite strong politically in Sheffield.

Taxis / Private Hire Vehicles are seen as public transport.

One taxi can fulfil the transport needs of many people throughout the day, which means those people don't need to use a car and clog up the already congested streets.

Most towns / cities allow taxis to use bus lanes, some allow Private Hire Vehicles (PHV's).

Just to correct you.. they are still using a car , it happens to be a taxi.. So they are still clogging the streets.

Edited by nikki-red
fixed the quote

Just to correct you.. they are still using a car , it happens to be a taxi.. So they are still clogging the streets.

They are using one car for many trips during the day. If all the taxi users brought their own car, there would be a lot more cars on the streets.

Why do lazy pig headed entitled drivers need to use bus lanes?

We can all ask questions dear. Try answering some.

You have still failed in giving any legitimate reason why you NEED to use a bus lane.

Lets see your "effort".

I suppose you are one of the cycle idiots who prefer to use the pavements or not bother stopping at red lights

They are using one car for many trips during the day. If all the taxi users brought their own car, there would be a lot more cars on the streets.

Like i said..still clogging the streets.