Why does the Council feel the need to enforce bus lanes on Xmas Day?

Originally Posted by diezeltruck

The signs could easily include "inc. Public or Bank Holidays."

The signs cannot include that text because the government traffic signs regulations don't allow it.
That's incorrect as you should well know Planner1 if you were to carefully read the legislation you quote. Why are you posting false information?

TSRGD 2016, Schedule 3, Part 3 Item 8 clearly states a time period may be quoted on a supplementary plate beneath a blue circular sign such as is used in Sheffield.

Additionally, Diagram 959B, (Schedule 9, Part 4, Item 10), clearly permits that, "the time period may be varied." The permitted variants of this particular sign allow exactly the sort of sign which was authorised for use at various locations in Sheffield in 2015. The DfT's Traffic authorisations webpage, case 4226 refers. As a new poster, sadly I can't include the link.

Therefore there is NO legal reason why bus gate restrictions can't be relaxed on ANY day of the year, should SCC, for example, wish to prove they aren't anti-car.

It would seem that other members of the forum should not take Planner1's post as being the last word of traffic-related matters - he is clearly not always right.

It was issued on the 5th but came through my door on the 8th.

Originally Posted by diezeltruck

The signs could easily include "inc. Public or Bank Holidays."

That's incorrect as you should well know Planner1 if you were to carefully read the legislation you quote. Why are you posting false information?

TSRGD 2016, Schedule 3, Part 3 Item 8 clearly states a time period may be quoted on a supplementary plate beneath a blue circular sign such as is used in Sheffield.

Additionally, Diagram 959B, (Schedule 9, Part 4, Item 10), clearly permits that, "the time period may be varied." The permitted variants of this particular sign allow exactly the sort of sign which was authorised for use at various locations in Sheffield in 2015. The DfT's Traffic authorisations webpage, case 4226 refers. As a new poster, sadly I can't include the link.

Therefore there is NO legal reason why bus gate restrictions can't be relaxed on ANY day of the year, should SCC, for example, wish to prove they aren't anti-car.

It would seem that other members of the forum should not take Planner1's post as being the last word of traffic-related matters - he is clearly not always right.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2016/362/schedule/9/part/4/made?view=plain

Time period, yes. Which would apply to every day specified, if a Bank Holiday or not.

Planner is saying the words "exc. bank holidays" or words to that effect CANNOT be added, and I dont see anything on that link to disprove that.

Isn't "exc Bank Hols" part of a time period, much like Mon - Fri, or Weekdays, or 1600 - 1800.

Isn't "exc Bank Hols" part of a time period, much like Mon - Fri, or Weekdays, or 1600 - 1800.

I assume in this instance a "time period" is days and hours and cant include supplementary wording to exclude particular days.

The signs already include details about Mon - Fri, Mon - Sat, etc though...

The signs already include details about Mon - Fri, Mon - Sat, etc though...

And I assume this is all the regs allow, you cant then go excluding particular days within that range of your own choosing.

Time period, yes. Which would apply to every day specified, if a Bank Holiday or not.

Planner is saying the words "exc. bank holidays" or words to that effect CANNOT be added, and I dont see anything on that link to disprove that.

The relevant wording is, as I stated, "the time period may be varied".

So, for example, "Mon-Fri 7am - 9 am 3.30pm - 5pm except Bank holidays" would be a lawful expression of a time period. If SCC disagree with this, they know full well that they can seek advice and, if necessary, authorisation from DfT for this or a similar legend. There is nothing in TSRGD to prevent them doing this. They have the contact details of the relevant team at DfT.

The authorisation could either be on a site specific basis or for use at any location within the city boundary. The authorisation process is a fairly simple paper exercise, which they have done before, as case 4226 shows.

And I assume this is all the regs allow, you cant then go excluding particular days within that range of your own choosing.

Didn't we just look at the regs, and it didn't say anything about the allowed wording except that a time period (including days in the example) could be specified.

---------- Post added 17-01-2018 at 10:35 ----------

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2016/362/schedule/9/part/4/made?view=plain

Unless P1 has some explanation for that, it doesn't appear to be contained within the legislation does it. That's the point that Weredoomed is making.

Didn't we just look at the regs, and it didn't say anything about the allowed wording except that a time period (including days in the example) could be specified.

---------- Post added 17-01-2018 at 10:35 ----------

Unless P1 has some explanation for that, it doesn't appear to be contained within the legislation does it. That's the point that Weredoomed is making.

The regulations have been written in a sufficiently open manner to allow local authorities to word signs pretty much how they wish. This has been done deliberately to reduce the workload of the DfT team tasked with authorising non-prescribed signs.

It would take merely a simple email to DfT asking to confirm or refute whether the legend (or similar) I've quoted is prescribed. If DfT say it isn't, they could be asked in the same email if they would be prepared to authorise it or not. They will give simple yes or no answers to these questions.

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools - Douglas Bader.