Why does the Council feel the need to enforce bus lanes on Xmas Day?

Could it be perhaps that they make a large amount of money by continuing with enforcement on bank holidays?

Interesting that according to you the "ask" is now for bus lanes not to be enforced on all public holidays, not just Christmas Day. I really don't know how you can justify that, when public transport does run on those days.

If you view post#84 you'll see that the Council issued 7 or 8 pcn's on Christmas Day on the past two years, so they aren't exactly making a large amount of money from that particular day (which is what the thread is about after all).

Even if you take the 56 pcn uplift that's been quoted on a bank holiday Monday and apply it across all 7 public holidays excluding Xmas, if you assume they receive £30 per pcn, you get £11.8k which is a very modest amount when you look at the overall take on bus lane / gate enforcement.

We aren't talking large amounts of money here.

Edited by Planner1

It's not oooo at all :roll: Think about it :) I read a lot of threads and I think 'personally' there is no real need for! What time does this close? What time does this place open? Where is the best place? Where can I buy? What's the speed limit on?? Where can I park? Use friggin GOOGLE, It's brilliant!

What really gets me is sometimes the mods CLOSE threads because 'the question has been answered' but we STILL get inane questions and threads going on for pages and pages - bit like this one :roll:

Back in the Eighties, when we had full employment in the steelworks, we didn’t have time to start stupid topics like this one.

Now the steelworks are closed down, we have the conundrum of having far too much free time, but having nothing constructive to fill it with.

Hence topics like this one.

Personally, I blame Thatcher meself

Back in the Eighties,

What the hell has the eighties got to do with inane posts and bus lanes????:roll:

What the hell has the eighties got to do with inane posts and bus lanes????:roll:

Nothing.

Absolutely nothing at all.

I just want this inane topic to reach ten pages before the Mods close it.

How do you add lots of smilies to a post? You seem to be good at it

Just received a response from Newham Borough Council in London in regards to whether they enforce bus lane restrictions on Christmas Day.

This is their response :

- Although legally enforcement can take place on Christmas Day, Newham Council does not

enforce bus lane moving traffic contraventions on Christmas Day.

Interesting that according to you the "ask" is now for bus lanes not to be enforced on all public holidays, not just Christmas Day.

That's the 2nd time you've said that, just because I make a reference to BHs generally rather than Xmas day.

We've already established that traffic volumes are low on BHs and generally bus services are running a Sunday service.

I really don't know how you can justify that, when public transport does run on those days.

Again, much like it does on Sundays when most of the bus lanes (timed ones anyway) aren't in force.

If you view post#84 you'll see that the Council issued 7 or 8 pcn's on Christmas Day on the past two years, so they aren't exactly making a large amount of money from that particular day (which is what the thread is about after all).

Even if you take the 56 pcn uplift that's been quoted on a bank holiday Monday and apply it across all 7 public holidays excluding Xmas, if you assume they receive £30 per pcn, you get £11.8k which is a very modest amount when you look at the overall take on bus lane / gate enforcement.

We aren't talking large amounts of money here.

True, so not financial then.

Probably that they just haven't really considered the idea of relaxing it, would be my guess.

Nothing. How do you add lots of smilies to a post? You seem to be good at it

:roll: Look to the right when posting. Better still.... start a thread and ask

How do you add smilies to a post? :hihi:

In case you are still confused I use smilies because a facial expression is difficult to do with text :help:

:roll: Look to the right when posting. Better still.... start a thread and ask

How do you add smilies to a post? :hihi:

In case you are still confused I use smilies because a facial expression is difficult to do with text :help:

He goes to the trouble of making all his text purple every post so I think he knows how to do smileys really.

It's not oooo at all :roll: Think about it :) I read a lot of threads and I think 'personally' there is no real need for! What time does this close? What time does this place open? Where is the best place? Where can I buy? What's the speed limit on?? Where can I park? Use friggin GOOGLE, It's brilliant!

What really gets me is sometimes the mods CLOSE threads because 'the question has been answered' but we STILL get inane questions and threads going on for pages and pages - bit like this one :roll:

So if you're allowed to park on yellow lines on a bank holiday but that yellow line is in a bus lane, do you still get a ticket? :)

I think part of the problem is that people just don't look at the signs.

The Council website says:

They operate at different times and days of the week depending on their location. At these times, you should not enter (even partially) a bus lane or bus gate or park in either - see below for exceptions. Check the signs. Times do not vary for bank/public holidays.

Are you seriously contending that people may not realise that Christmas Day is a bank / public holiday?

- It is the ONLY day where there is NO public transport in operation. Why cannot the Council add to their website: 'this includes Christmas Day?' Is it because they are too embarrassed to make that clear?

Personally, I rather doubt that many people actually look at the Council website for info on bus lane enforcement before going into the city on a public holiday.

I don't think that anyone really would check the Council website to see what the policy is for say a bank holiday etc. There is no consistency between Councils across the UK. Even more reason to make the signs more "clear and understandable". You cannot get away from the fact that on Bank Holidays, there is a 30% rise in bus lane contraventions in Sheffield compared to a normal working day Monday, and this is after considering that the road system will be quieter

One thing that some people say confuses them is that parking in Council operated spaces is free on bank / public holidays. I've seen several contend that this made them think it was also ok to use bus lanes/gates. Personally I can't really see how they can reasonably link the two. However, if the Council stopped giving free parking on bank / public holidays it might prevent that linkage being made. Not everywhere gives free parking on bank/public holidays (Newcastle for example only gives it on Christmas Day).

- I think that the link or confusion, apart from Christmas Day, is that buses run a Sunday service on a Bank Holiday and it's generally a Sunday when most bus lanes are not in operation. That was the reason why my brother ventured into one, when there was not a vehicle in sight that bank holiday morning. He just didn't think they would be in operation . I wonder how many other motorists get caught unwittingly like my brother did?

I have responded within your 'QUOTE'.

The OP raised a fair point in the heading to this thread. 7 pages later the staggeringly obvious course of allowing a seasonal amnesty for one day seems to be too difficult to administer. Fear that if one offence were overlooked how many others might be next?

Now Christmas is behind us it would be interesting to know how many tickets were actually issued for that day. A lot fewer than the number of posts in this thread.