Why does the Council feel the need to enforce bus lanes on Xmas Day?

I snipped the bit that was entirely unrelated to the first sentence.

For what reason do you believe that the report in Liverpool, produced by a bus company, in support of bus lanes, is accurate?

The actual report can be found here:

http://councillors.liverpool.gov.uk/documents/s140386/Appendix%203

And concludes.....

The results of this work are a set of recommendations which propose a substantial

rationalisation of traditional bus lane based bus priority, but more importantly

identify a comprehensive package of measures that seek to provide better priority

to buses whilst at the same time bringing distinct benefits to the other local users

of the corridor.

Well, no, there isn't. I drove through town on xmas day, there was hardly any traffic.

Of course I had no reason to use any bus lanes because the traffic was so light.

So how do you know there wasnt traffic conjestion in Woodseats ? Ecclesall ? In town when you werent there ?

I can't speak for locations I wasn't in, but I'm pretty happy to generalise on this issue.

I saw the lack of traffic through the city centre and on the 18 mile journey to my parents and back. It's about the quietest I've ever seen it, bar 0400 in the morning.

If you want to disprove my assumption I'm sure that there would be a report of congestion in some specific area that you can find...

Planner1 , the info I received back from my freedom of information requests do show a 30% increase in bus lane contraventions on a Bank Holiday, compared to a normal working day Monday.

These figures prove that the signs are NOT necessarily "clear and understandable", as the Council and yourself continue to affirm.

<Snip>

Those figures don't prove that at all. They are the same signs all the time. So if there is an increase on bank holidays, it's not because of what the signs say. It might be because of what people assume.

Many drivers do not appear to be able to comprehend the signage appertaining to bus lanes as it is - I can't see how adding information about BHs is going to improve this situation. It'd just confuse them even more...

Observation and experience only, but by way of example - 9 times out of 10 when I drive down Chesterfield Road near Homebase at, say, 1030am I am the only one driving down the 'bus lane', where everyone else sits in the right hand lane. They don't seem to understand the basic English on the signs which indicate the 'bus lane' ceased at 0930.

Similarly on Ecclesall Rd South. Same thing.

Quite often the bus lanes have cars parked in them when not in operation.

The actual report can be found here:

http://councillors.liverpool.gov.uk/documents/s140386/Appendix%203

And concludes.....

The results of this work are a set of recommendations which propose a substantial

rationalisation of traditional bus lane based bus priority, but more importantly

identify a comprehensive package of measures that seek to provide better priority

to buses whilst at the same time bringing distinct benefits to the other local users

of the corridor.

Let's try that in English, shall we?

The work recommends rationalising bus lanes and better bus priority, which will also help other local road users.

Let's try that in English, shall we?

The work recommends rationalising bus lanes and better bus priority, which will also help other local road users.

The original was in English. Remind us again of what your day job is. ;)

Just received a PCN for bus lane contravention on Mansfield Road, xmas day. my thoughts were no busses no bus lane, silly me lesson learnt.

Don't you have to received them within 14 days?... or is that just speeding and parking tickets.

Hi the PCN was dated the 5th i received it on the 8th so i guess it was within the 14 days

Xmas day, 5th and 8th? I'm confused.