Why does the Council feel the need to enforce bus lanes on Xmas Day?

Planner1 , the info I received back from my freedom of information requests do show a 30% increase in bus lane contraventions on a Bank Holiday, compared to a normal working day Monday.

These figures prove that the signs are NOT necessarily "clear and understandable", as the Council and yourself continue to affirm.

The roads in general would also be less busy on Bank Holidays, compared to a normal working day.

Thank you for offering to speak to the relevant department that operates the Matrix system.

I have noticed that Council websites could be far more informative and clear in regards to enforcement on Bank Holidays etc. Sheffield City Council does state this, but could go further making it absolutely clear what their policy is on Christmas Day, so that there is no ambiguity.

why is it common sense?

if traffic generally is lighter on these days then why should anyone want or have a need to use bus lanes?

That's also true, as I've agreed throughout that the low level of traffic makes using them unimportant (but equally it makes enforcing them unimportant).

---------- Post added 31-12-2017 at 14:29 ----------

It might be common sense to you, but the government, who set the signing regulations, don't agree.

The signing regulations have nothing to do with this discussion, and apparently plenty of local authorities agree.

Planner1 , the info I received back from my freedom of information requests do show a 30% increase in bus lane contraventions on a Bank Holiday, compared to a normal working day Monday.

These figures prove that the signs are NOT necessarily "clear and understandable", as the Council and yourself continue to affirm.

The roads in general would also be less busy on Bank Holidays, compared to a normal working day.

Thank you for offering to speak to the relevant department that operates the Matrix system.

I have noticed that Council websites could be far more informative and clear in regards to enforcement on Bank Holidays etc. Sheffield City Council does state this, but could go further making it absolutely clear what their policy is on Christmas Day, so that there is no ambiguity.

I think part of the problem is that people just don't look at the signs.

The Council website says:

They operate at different times and days of the week depending on their location. At these times, you should not enter (even partially) a bus lane or bus gate or park in either - see below for exceptions. Check the signs. Times do not vary for bank/public holidays.

Are you seriously contending that people may not realise that Christmas Day is a bank / public holiday?

Personally, I rather doubt that many people actually look at the Council website for info on bus lane enforcement before going into the city on a public holiday.

One thing that some people say confuses them is that parking in Council operated spaces is free on bank / public holidays. I've seen several contend that this made them think it was also ok to use bus lanes/gates. Personally I can't really see how they can reasonably link the two. However, if the Council stopped giving free parking on bank / public holidays it might prevent that linkage being made. Not everywhere gives free parking on bank/public holidays (Newcastle for example only gives it on Christmas Day)

---------- Post added 31-12-2017 at 14:53 ----------

The signing regulations have nothing to do with this discussion, and apparently plenty of local authorities agree.

And plenty don't, so it isn't a matter of "common sense". It's a matter of opinion.

If you think it's important, tell your councillors.

Also, as others have said, in lighter traffic conditions, drivers gain no advantage by using a bus lane so why do they feel the need to do so?

It would be great to turn right off Holme Lane to go along Langsett instead of going straight ahead through the junction to the roundabout to come back on yourself to turn left onto Langsett. For instance.

It would be great to turn right off Holme Lane to go along Langsett instead of going straight ahead through the junction to the roundabout to come back on yourself to turn left onto Langsett. For instance.

or alternatively, carry on at the roundabout and join penistone road and get where you are going far quicker then you would going down langsett

Another who can't distinguish between a bus lane and a bus gate.

Another who can't distinguish between a bus lane and a bus gate.

What does it matter, you can't go through it in a car.

or alternatively, carry on at the roundabout and join penistone road and get where you are going far quicker then you would going down langsett

Unless you're going to Walkley or Tesco's at Infirmary Rd, or Upperthorpe.

---------- Post added 31-12-2017 at 16:30 ----------

And plenty don't, so it isn't a matter of "common sense". It's a matter of opinion.

If you think it's important, tell your councillors.

Well, if you'd said it's a matter of opinion on the council right at the start, then we'd have never disagreed on anything.

Now, what forms that opinion. It's not a legal opinion, it's not to do with what can and can't be put on signs.

Could it be perhaps that they make a large amount of money by continuing with enforcement on bank holidays? Or is it to make sure that drivers don't get confused (apparently that's not working, since contraventions go up). Or perhaps they've not really considered it at all?

---------- Post added 31-12-2017 at 16:30 ----------

What does it matter, you can't go through it in a car.

Even if bus lanes weren't enforced, you still wouldn't be able to, because it's not a bus lane where you're talking about.

What if someones needing to go somewhere on Langsett? there are no simple right turns off Pennistone Road to Langsett; you have to turn left off P R around that road with the car show rooms to come back on yourself to turn left up to Langsett, or go all the way to where the Wickes is and turn right there. Ball ache city.

---------- Post added 31-12-2017 at 16:33 ----------

Even if bus lanes weren't enforced, you still wouldn't be able to, because it's not a bus lane where you're talking about.

So many pedants. :roll:

Can't the bus gates be relaxed too?

It doesn't matter whether it's a bus lane or a gate! The standards of driving are ridiculous as this thread proves. The highway code clearly states everything but you still get threads like this :roll:

Highway code is in printed format book style (you know where pages exist) then you also have Google!!

I suggest some of you have a read and see for yourselves where you are going wrong.

It doesn't matter whether it's a bus lane or a gate! The standards of driving are ridiculous as this thread proves. The highway code clearly states everything but you still get threads like this :roll:

Highway code is in printed format book style (you know where pages exist) then you also have Google!!

I suggest some of you have a read and see for yourselves where you are going wrong.

oooo get you! that told us didn't it. :rolleyes:

oooo get you! that told us didn't it. :rolleyes:

It's not oooo at all :roll: Think about it :) I read a lot of threads and I think 'personally' there is no real need for! What time does this close? What time does this place open? Where is the best place? Where can I buy? What's the speed limit on?? Where can I park? Use friggin GOOGLE, It's brilliant!

What really gets me is sometimes the mods CLOSE threads because 'the question has been answered' but we STILL get inane questions and threads going on for pages and pages - bit like this one :roll: