Why does the Council feel the need to enforce bus lanes on Xmas Day?

But, if they just happened to use one or venture into one, even partially, which can and does happen, then they could well be fined, when there is no public transport in operation?

Why would anyone need to enter an operational bus lane or gate in Xmas day, when traffic is very light? General traffic will gain no advantage by doing so.

Most of the restrictions only apply at peak hours anyway.

Am I alone in thinking of mountains and molehills here?

It is certainly NOT a mole hill to the Council. Bus Lane enforcemnet rakes in a lot of cash for the Council on Public or Bank holidays.

I am not against bus lanes etc, but, I feel the signs are not clear or understandable enough to warn drivers during holiday periods, that the restrictions do still apply.

If the signs were "clear and understandable", as the Council say they are, then there would not be bus lanes generating far more PCN revenue on holiday periods compared to say a normal working day week.

The roads on a bank holiday will be quieter especially during the early part of the days restriction period, so the number of violations should really drop.

What we have is a 30% rise in contraventions during holiday periods in Sheffield, compared to a normal average working day week.

Let me get this straight, you are telling us that there are some places where even though no 10 tonne double decker bus is present on Christmas day a car would be undesirable?

Can you identify a few of these places where it is undesirable for a car to pass through without giving them a ticket? Is it the Wicker? Hillsborough Corner? West Street? High Street?

Wicker bus gate is partly there because general traffic (out of city) might well be tempted to make the banned left turn onto the inner relief road, which has a green man running on the signalled crossing. Bridge St is another that is there to manage traffic.

---------- Post added 26-12-2017 at 15:23 ----------

It is certainly NOT a mole hill to the Council. Bus Lane enforcemnet rakes in a lot of cash for the Council on Public or Bank holidays.

I am not against bus lanes etc, but, I feel the signs are not clear or understandable enough to warn drivers during holiday periods, that the restrictions do still apply.

If the signs were "clear and understandable", as the Council say they are, then there would not be bus lanes generating far more PCN revenue on holiday periods compared to say a normal working day week.

The roads on a bank holiday will be quieter especially during the early part of the days restriction period, so the number of violations should really drop.

What we have is a 30% rise in contraventions during holiday periods in Sheffield, compared to a normal average working day week.

Compared to the amount of penalties issued in the rest of the year, the amount taken on public holidays really is small.

The signing used here in Sheffield is the same as is used everywhere in the country. These restrictions are signed by time of day and day of week if no time or day is stated they apply 24/7.

Any experienced driver should be aware of the signs. They are plentiful and clear.

Edited by Planner1

Maybe SCC should do a survey on whether bus lanes are actually necessary. It seems they can cause an increase in traffic congestion and pollution and maybe they should scrap those that do. Liverpool City Council have done just that and they are now down from 26 to just 4. Bus lanes may have been good when first introduced decades ago but with the increase in traffic they now seem unfit for purpose and used mainly for revenue.

Some bus gates are only there for traffic management reasons, in locations where it is not safe or desirable to allow general traffic. They are not just there for public transport priority.

What like when they put them on Southey hill and on Longley Ave west :huh:

---------- Post added 26-12-2017 at 15:55 ----------

Bus lanes are not there to simply "avoid" at all times. I refer you to the Councils interpretation or reasoning for what the purpose of a bus/tram, lane/gates is... ie "To keep the city moving" and "allowing buses or trams to move more freely." It is the only day that there is NO public transport in the city. So, what are they actually "keeping moving"?

To keep traffic moving??? Lol

Is that why they took out a roundabout and put in traffic lights at Leppings Lane it's more snarled up now with STANDING traffic and spewing out more fumes etc 24hrs a day than its ever been good move Sheffield Council oh! And that's including Buses too :huh:

Edited by Kevo

Try living somewhere like Hillsborough. When the bus gate isn't in operation I can drive straight through Hillsborough to my home rather than driving along penistone road up wadsley lane and back round Etc .Sheffield has recently been reported as having high pollution . If the gates don't need to be in operation after 7pm and before 7 am why can't they be relaxed on Christmas Day . Common sense comes to mind .

Try living somewhere like Hillsborough. When the bus gate isn't in operation I can drive straight through Hillsborough to my home rather than driving along penistone road up wadsley lane and back round Etc .Sheffield has recently been reported as having high pollution . If the gates don't need to be in operation after 7pm and before 7 am why can't they be relaxed on Christmas Day . Common sense comes to mind .

The governments signing regulations do not allow them to be lawfully signed as not operating on Xmas day.

If that’s what you want, tell your MP and the Department for Transport. They set the rules.

---------- Post added 26-12-2017 at 16:31 ----------

Maybe SCC should do a survey on whether bus lanes are actually necessary. It seems they can cause an increase in traffic congestion and pollution and maybe they should scrap those that do. Liverpool City Council have done just that and they are now down from 26 to just 4. Bus lanes may have been good when first introduced decades ago but with the increase in traffic they now seem unfit for purpose and used mainly for revenue.

SYPTE are doing a review of the existing bus lanes to see if they are still needed.

As I have explained earlier, the bus lanes end well before the junctions. It’s the capacity of the junctions that determines overall network capacity and therefore whether there are queues or not. All the bus lane normally does is allow the buses to get higher up the queue that is already there.

Liverpool decided to temporarily suspend bus lanes a few years ago and it was such a success that they have not reintroduced them.

I find the biggest hindrance to keeping moving is inconsiderate parking.

You know, that is great you mention Liverpool City Council, as they responded to my Freedom of Information request the quickest, in about 24hours. Most other Councils took roughly 20 working days to reply. I was exceptionally pleased with Liverpool and surprised too.

---------- Post added 26-12-2017 at 19:13 ----------

The governments signing regulations do not allow them to be lawfully signed as not operating on Xmas day.

If that’s what you want, tell your MP and the Department for Transport. They set the rules.

The signs could easily include "inc. Public or Bank Holidays."

Funnily you mention the Department for Transport, as I made contact with them and their attitude or response to Bus Lanes was not to venture into them at any time, then you wont get caught out.

The problem with this lame response is that bus lanes are not there not to ever travel in them, unless they are 24 hour and that is another argument.

My findings show that Councils although their Traffic Regulation Order may permit them to do something ie enforce 365 days a year, many take it on themselves to not enforce on Christmas Day.

Now why is that? Why do some Councils have it in them to take a pragmatic approach and not to enforce when they clearly could do.

Councils are their own boss and so long as they work within the law, there is nothing wrong in them choosing not to enforce.

Glasgow City Council choose not to enforce on both Christmas Day and New Years Day; Edinburgh chooses not to.

Are you from the Council, by the way, as you sound like you are.

Edited by diezeltruck

Back to the Thread title:

If this were all I had to worry about the rest of my life would be completely stress free !

Aa some of our young people say ’Get a Life’!

The signs could easily include "inc. Public or Bank Holidays."

Funnily you mention the Department for Transport, as I made contact with them and their attitude or response to Bus Lanes was not to venture into them at any time, then you wont get caught out.

The problem with this lame response is that bus lanes are not there not to ever travel in them, unless they are 24 hour and that is another argument.

My findings show that Councils although their Traffic Regulation Order may permit them to do something ie enforce 365 days a year, many take it on themselves to not enforce on Christmas Day.

Now why is that? Why do some Councils have it in them to take a pragmatic approach and not to enforce when they clearly could do.

Councils are their own boss and so long as they work within the law, there is nothing wrong in them choosing not to enforce.

Glasgow City Council choose not to enforce on both Christmas Day and New Years Day; Edinburgh chooses not to.

Are you from the Council, by the way, as you sound like you are.

The signs cannot include that text because the government traffic signs regulations don't allow it.

Yes, it's up to individual councils whether or not they enforce on the day. If you want Sheffield not to enforce, lobby your local councillors and the relevant cabinet member. Evidence I have seen of market research here and elsewhere indicates strong public support for bus lane enforcement. Personally I see no valid reason why they would not enforce.

It's none if your business who I work for. As most on here know, I have worked for SCC and other authorities. I also have a great deal of experience in camera enforcement of bus lanes / gates.