Psalter lane art college - the end

I was on the foundation course in 1980-81 and studied again for the HADAF course in the early 90's. Who were your tutors?. Did you come across Ed Mayer, Graham Bevan, Theo Cowdell and the like?. It all seems like such a long time ago now - but then I guess it is!!. .

hey I was on Foundation in art and design from september 80 to around April 81...I left at the end of the 2nd term as ran out of money!!!! I recall all those names.......do you have any pix of the old 80/81 group as I would love to see or chat to some of you lot again.....if you remember me?:thumbsup:

hey I was on Foundation in art and design from september 80 to around April 81...I left at the end of the 2nd term as ran out of money!!!! I recall all those names.......do you have any pix of the old 80/81 group as I would love to see or chat to some of you lot again.....if you remember me?:thumbsup:
Er let me see.....goldenfleece......I don't remember that name. :suspect:

Which room were you based in.. I was in Dick's room.

I posted earlier in this thread - my ageing memory let me down and I thought I'd been on the 80 - 81 foundation course. I've since realised I was on the 81 - 82 course. Anyone else in that year?.

I currently work at both Psalter Lane and City campuses. City is OK, but I do love Psalter Lane and I shall be so sad when it goes... It's so much nicer...

it is indeedy closing... i think it sucks as altho it is a bit of a dump, it is great having somewhere away from the norm and regulation of collegiate and city.. in a little world of out own where it is okay to be different and creative. we'll be 3rd year teaching students by the time it moves so at least we wont have to have much to do with the uni then, we'll be on placement but it will be a massive shame.

p.s. thought it was going to city not collegiate?

I heard a rumour that both Universities were discussing a joint venture.

Nationally the move is towards consolidation. In both London and Liverpool, new Universities of the Arts have been established and existing resources pooled. Sheffield tends to be a 'follower' city rather than an 'early adopter' but we do tend to 'ape' the activities of the other 'core' cities so I really wouldn't be suprised if we have a third university by 2012 and that in all likelihood it will be 'industry-facing creative' (whatever this means). However given the 'blazing saddles cardboard town' nature of the CIQ to-date, one wonders where the industry that this body might face lies.

... I also worked as a photograper and writer for climbing magazines, indeed being involved in the launch of one many years ago...
Hi Al!

I missed your posts before, obviously didn't read the whole thread....

I wondered where you ended up as I'm out of touch.

Fran

Hello, I was a student at psalter lane in the early 80's, I hear it is closing. Is there a party ! if so when, where, I could come up from London to see old aquaintances.:)

Well, ironically, this semester is going to be the last for Psalter Lane. Unaware when I started my first year there art studies, apparently bumping into people from the then polytechnic, it was assigned to demolition more than 20 years ago (i think that's what i remember being told).

Kinda makes me wish I was an art student less of a studier of, the making and creating process seems amazing for the hundreds of students up there. Sure, the food sucks, and the toilets remind you of something you recall hiding your shoes when in nursery, and the nearest cash point is ten mins walk away, but there is a definite charisma about the place, and I for one am just rather happy I managed to experience at least on term of it. My condolences go to the university themselves, money over morals, a classic clase of Hallam's dedication to the student experience, but hopefully where the atmosphere is lost, some facilities may be gained (although that is in itself debatable-sharing them with external companies).

Well, I guess the residents can have their whole one and a half length's parking spaces, and pub lunches served in 5 instead of ten mins, but I shall sorely miss that beautiful old place *sniff*....

Hi, I am currently studying Graphic Design at Psalter lane campus and i have to draw/paint something on the wall, that symbolises what the building has ment to past/present students. My plan so far is to paint a gravestone on the wall with a quote/poem that shows how people felt about the campus.As i am only in my first year in sheffield the building doesnt really mean that much to me and so i am having trouble thinking of something to write.

It would b a great help to me if u could please tell me what the campus ment to youand how you felt while you were studying there. If you could reply asap that would b great!Just a few words will be fine :)

Thank you