Psalter lane art college - the end

Hiyas. My name is Peter Johnston from Belfast and I'm an ex-Psalter Lane Fine Art student (in experimental film and video) from 1984-85. (I had the nickname Seamus... for some reason). I was hoping you lovely folks on this site might be able to help me get back in contact with some of my fellow film students from that year. I took a year out to go sell posters in the States and ended up not getting back to finish my degree in Sheffield. I worked with Jamie Fry (ABC Martin Fry's brother). Barry Callaghan was my tutor. Please advise.

FYI - After many journeys I finally finished a BA (twenty years later), then MA and am just finishing a PhD in Film at Queen's Belfast. Check out my current projects 15SecondFilmFestival.com and MediaZoo.ie

Hiyas. My name is Peter Johnston from Belfast and I'm an ex-Psalter Lane Fine Art student (in experimental film and video) from 1984-85. (I had the nickname Seamus... for some reason). I was hoping you lovely folks on this site might be able to help me get back in contact with some of my fellow film students from that year. I took a year out to go sell posters in the States and ended up not getting back to finish my degree in Sheffield. I worked with Jamie Fry (ABC Martin Fry's brother). Barry Callaghan was my tutor. Please advise.

FYI - After many journeys I finally finished a BA (twenty years later), then MA and am just finishing a PhD in Film at Queen's Belfast. Check out my current projects 15SecondFilmFestival.com and MediaZoo.ie

Seamus, sorry Peter.

A good idea would be try the alumni section of SHU website.

http://www.shu.ac.uk/alumniconnect/

I didn't go to Psalter Lane Art College, But I wish I had. I lived just down Psalter Lane and used to love seeing the sculptures outside the college.

Any hoo, I found this little piece on how the colleg looks now.

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=50826&highlight=Psalter+Lane

i worked at psalter for 3 yrs on security, and the place was fantastic, the staff and students it was like a little family.

unfortunatly the place to refurb was a money pit and shu ploughed money after money into the place. one of the biggest problems with this site was the amount of asbestos in the building. the place is covered with it from the risers to the boiler rooms even the workshops had it around pipe lagging.

shame really but great memorys

rip psalter

I left the UK in 2000 to live in Sweden, although I come back from time to time. I was last there during summer 2012. Drove out to the Peak District and on the way back decided to take a detour along Psalter Lane to look at my old Art College. It was gone.

I did not know it had been closed, so it came as a shock to me to see it razed as I drove past. I was there in 1986/87 on the Foundation Course. Trevor Faulkner ran it then, along with another guy (Mike?). I also remember Ed Meyer, the eccentric Art History lecturer we had. There was Scottish teacher I remember, Myra, but the rest are just fading faces. I really enjoyed being there for that year, and made some good friends there. I'm sorry it's gone.

As a footnote, prior to that, I had attended Stocksbridge School Sixth form, and some of the A levels I was studying were at Stocksbridge College, both the main building on Hole House Lane, and also the Annexe on Carr road. Now also gone - main building demolished, annexe converted to flats. Sad.

Edited by Jason210

But the Psalter Lane site is still there, awaiting redevelopment as it has been for a long while.

Sheffield Hallam University said this in June 2012:

We are writing to keep you up to date with the development plans for the former Psalter Lane Campus. You may have attended the open event at the Salvation Army last month or have spoken with us directly, in which case you will be aware of the proposed plans drawn up for the site which have been amended and developed further as appropriate in light of feedback. In summary the development includes 62 dwellings which will be a mix of 2 bedroom flats and 3 - 5 bedroom houses. The accommodation is not aimed at students and retains the original Bluecoats school building in the design. We have achieved sustainable homes code 3 which is very positive and we are preserving the majority of trees on site as well as creating new gardens and shared green spaces. Overall, we believe this represents an exciting development, which complements the surrounding area.

We have now submitted the proposed plans for the former Psalter lane Campus to the planning department for consideration. You can see these at http://publicaccess.sheffield.gov.uk/online-applications and the planning application number is 12/01660/FUL.

It's the Art College I'm being sentimental about, not stone walls.

It was a special feeling being there - I'd just left school and suddenly there I was amidst all these artists in this wonderful leafty suburb, seperate from the main campuses in a world of our own. Unique staff, unique lecturers, uniques students, and a unique atmosphere.

The preserved old building will be nothing more than a shadow of a a reminder of what was once there, something I can point out to my children and say, ok, that was once part of the old art college I went to. It doesn't mean very much!

I was there from '85 to '90 (Foundation then B.A) and for a young lad born and bred on Parson Cross it was certainly a eye opener, I'd never been up that side of town before, had a great time. I met one of my best mates there and it really opened my head and made me more broad minded and receptive,a perfect antidote to the inslar, suspicious parochialism I'd experienced before. Did me sod all good careerwise but wouldn't have missed it for the world! Now that's what further education is all about!

My dad did a one-year course there towards the site's final years; and he thought well of it too.

...this wonderful leafty suburb,...

Was it a lefty suburb or a leafy suburb or both?

studied film at psalter lane 2003-2006. Seeing some of the pics on this thread has really brought back some great memories.

It really was a different world up there, students mixed with staff almost seamlessly at times, the library was quiet, and full of books, not laptops, and we actually used it for studying. The small scale of the place gave it a real relaxed feel, you knew most staff and they knew you.

The setting was perfect for the creative courses it ran, I really miss it.