Psalter lane art college - the end

They're moving English and History from Collegiate Crescent over the summer, to make room for the Psalter Lane crew to move to CC in 2007/08 AFAIK.

I study at both Collegitate and Psalter Lane at the minute and find that I study alot better at Collegiate as PL is now just made up of loads of cruddy little pre-fab units, apart from the library which is a lovely building.

Some of the PL depts are moving to City and some to Collegiate. You can tell it's going to happen because for about 10yrs they said it would so they neglected doing anything to the campus at Psalter and last year they finally did quite a bit of upgrade work on it, so that was surely the kiss of death.

hi White Rose and chrisp, i did an MA in Media studies in London, and focussed mainly on film, cos that was my first love. i did go on to work in the industry, but it had nothing to do with having studied film. What gets you working in film & TV is balls, determination, and a penchant for exploitation! Worked for nothing a on a few low budget films, which i've since seen on the IMDb and Ebay! Did a lot of BBC jobs too. Got out in the end cos i was freelance, and got fed up with the unstable lifestyle. Glad I did it though, and don't regret any of it. Got lots of memories, met lots of famous people etc, and satisfied my curiosity. Ed Mayer's been to my mum and dad's house a few times - he's a gent! not sure how old he is...

hi White Rose and chrisp, i did an MA in Media studies in London, and focussed mainly on film, cos that was my first love. i did go on to work in the industry, but it had nothing to do with having studied film.

Hi -

Yeah, I can't say any of the studying I did ever helped to get me a creative job. Like you say, that just comes from hard work and determination. I feel quite lucky to be working in a creative area - I'm a graphic artist in the video games industry, although that's not what I set out to do originally. I'm still waiting to make it as a famous fine artist or illustrator! Maybe one day :) !.

Seriously though, it would be nice to know of anyone in Sheff working in an 'arty' profession - film making, video games, fine art or otherwise. Anyone else out there??. Any Children's book illustrators or authors reading this by any chance - bit of a long shot, I geuss!!?.

Nick Parks of Wallace and Grommit fame went to Psalter lane. I have it on good authority that after he won his first oscar he went back to Psalter and took the oscar with him.

Hi -

Yeah, I can't say any of the studying I did ever helped to get me a creative job. Like you say, that just comes from hard work and determination. I feel quite lucky to be working in a creative area - I'm a graphic artist in the video games industry, although that's not what I set out to do originally. I'm still waiting to make it as a famous fine artist or illustrator! Maybe one day :) !.

Seriously though, it would be nice to know of anyone in Sheff working in an 'arty' profession - film making, video games, fine art or otherwise. Anyone else out there??. Any Children's book illustrators or authors reading this by any chance - bit of a long shot, I geuss!!?.

im a writer chrisp, normally i write (and take pics) for the climbing press but ive nearly finished writing my first novel which is set in sheffield. youre right, it would be good for those of us arty farty types on SF to get together!

yeah youre right whatsupthen, he did! and so did ian burden, who subsequently became one of the keyboard players for the human league. lovely boy.

anyway with regards to the OP ive just posted an article about the private view on friday of the graduation show, along with photos, on my white rose blog, linked to in my signature. let me know what you think! theres a comments section at the bottom of the post to leave comments if you want, too :)

the show is really good this year, i cant recommend it enough. its free, and its on all week (not monday 29th or tuesday 30th may though.)

im a writer chrisp, normally i write (and take pics) for the climbing press but ive nearly finished writing my first novel which is set in sheffield. youre right, it would be good for those of us arty farty types on SF to get together!

Wow Rose - a novel!. I can't imagine how much effort must go into a project like that. Fingers crossed you get a publishing deal so we can all have a read!. What's the name of your book?.

Its interesting to hear Nick Parkes studied in Sheff - I didn't know that. I'd like to work in some area related to children's illustration and Aardman's stuff is often quite inspiring. My kids love Wallace and Gromit.

I was on the foundation course in 1980-81 and studied again for the HADAF course in the early 90's. Who were your tutors?. Did you come across Ed Mayer, Graham Bevan, Theo Cowdell and the like?. It all seems like such a long time ago now - but then I guess it is!!.

Can't say I completely enjoyed my time there, but it has a lot of memories for me and I geuss it'll be sad to see it go, if the relocation moves forward.

I was there on the same course in 80/81, remember all those people, especially Mr Graham Bevan as he kicked me off the course!! Do you remember the funny fat guy called CHETWYN BUTLER who sometimes taught history of art with Edward Meyer? Oh, that man had the strangest taste in clothes......

I enjoyed my time there, despite being kicked off for doing no work, as unfortunately as far as work was concerned the place was crawling with the most beautiful women in Sheffield at the time and I got rather distracted!!! Oh yes.....

My mum was at Psalter Lane doing Art History in the 70's (at the same time as Nick Park actually) and I'm currently studying Fine Art there. I think the name 'The End' has a lot to do with the main gallery space there which is called the End Gallery. What baffles me is, if they're gonna ditch the campus then why have they just spent massive amounts of money renovating the gallery spaces and reception areas? I think it's a terrible shame that Psalter Lane is up for the chop, but I'll be long gone before anything actually happens!

Leah x

If the campus on Psalter Lane is closing then it's good news in my opinion. It's an eye sore and brings students dangerously close to Ecclesall. It's much better if Sheffield Hallam consolidates its campuses.

Jeez! Lighten up you misery!!:rant:

Bringing students dangerously close to Ecclesall? With the Psalter Lane and Collegiate campuses being smack in the middle of the area for years, I would say you have had them there for a long time already. What about the disaster it will cause for local businesses if they all upsticks and move closer to a city campus? And how is it an eyesore? The modernish bit is probably from the 60s or 70s, and its no architectural beauty, but its set way back from the road and isnt too visible. Crikey, whats the big deal?

I was a student at Psalter Lane between '87 and '90 studying industrial design. It is a special campus, kind of exclusive for the arts courses based there. I will be totally gutted when the place is decommisioned, and ultimately demolished to make way for some more crap flats, no doubt. The creative courses based there now will lose some of their identity if moved away from PL.

It was because I loved the area so much that I decided to settle permanently in Sheffield after my degree. I also decided I wanted to stay in this area, and now I live around the corner in Carterknowle. Perhaps if all the friendly people I met in this area as a student back then, had the miserable attitude of t020 towards Psalter Lane students, I would have thought again and gone back home to Leeds.:mad:

Jeez! Lighten up you misery!!:rant:

Bringing students dangerously close to Ecclesall? With the Psalter Lane and Collegiate campuses being smack in the middle of the area for years, I would say you have had them there for a long time already. What about the disaster it will cause for local businesses if they all upsticks and move closer to a city campus? And how is it an eyesore? The modernish bit is probably from the 60s or 70s, and its no architectural beauty, but its set way back from the road and isnt too visible. Crikey, whats the big deal?

I was a student at Psalter Lane between '87 and '90 studying industrial design. It is a special campus, kind of exclusive for the arts courses based there. I will be totally gutted when the place is decommisioned, and ultimately demolished to make way for some more crap flats, no doubt. The creative courses based there now will lose some of their identity if moved away from PL.

It was because I loved the area so much that I decided to settle permanently in Sheffield after my degree. I also decided I wanted to stay in this area, and now I live around the corner in Carterknowle. Perhaps if all the friendly people I met in this area as a student back then, had the miserable attitude of t020 towards Psalter Lane students, I would have thought again and gone back home to Leeds.:mad:

Collegiate Crescent is miles from Ecclesall (I mean the actual area and not the road - being in Carter Knowle you should really know where Ecclesall is and isn't). Psalter Lane campus is dangerously close though. It's much better for students and suburb alike if things are more separated.

Collegiate Crescent is miles from Ecclesall (I mean the actual area and not the road - being in Carter Knowle you should really know where Ecclesall is and isn't). Psalter Lane campus is dangerously close though. It's much better for students and suburb alike if things are more separated.

No, I dont know the precise, geographical boundaries of your beloved Ecclesall, nor am I particulary interested either. Just like I am not really interested in the magnetic or real north pole - its immaterial- it makes little difference really. In my mind, the general area will do for me.

Dangerously close? Dangerously? What the hell is wrong with you? Are you some kind of paranoid freak who never goes out of the door in case the world may bite you? These are students you are talking about, along with their college campus. We are not discussing an open prison full of convicts.

I think you need to wise up and put things into a more reality based perspective. Students can keep an area from stagnating, they can keep it fresh. Fair enough, you may get a fewe bad apples in the barrel, but dont suggest they are all the same, its simply not true.