Psalter lane art college - the end

EDIT June 2008: i started this thread two years ago to talk about the dip show 2006 but if you scroll to the last page we're now discussing the closure of the college and the final party on the 7th June...

rewind 2 years...

the psalter lane art college dip shows are on again folks, starting tomorrow! ive put a blog entry up about it today (link on my signature) and will be reporting on the show tomorrow on the blog. its worth visiting the shows, theyre always great AND of course its free! :)

this year's show is called "the end".

my reason for starting the thread is this:

does anyone have any information about the fact that the art college premises is going to be sold off, and the art college moved to the main pond street campus?

because this seems like a tragedy to me. is there anyone else who actually cares about this because i do, there must be others, surely! and if there are, please post your thoughts on this thread.

the art college students of sheffield need their own campus imho. if they are re-located to the town centre then their freedom of expression will be severely curtailed by various PC bodies objecting to this and that left right and centre.

what does everyone else think?

oh, and was anyone else there in 77-78? thats when i was there on the foundation course :)

I was on the foundation course in 1980-81 and studied again for the HADAF course in the early 90's. Who were your tutors?. Did you come across Ed Mayer, Graham Bevan, Theo Cowdell and the like?. It all seems like such a long time ago now - but then I guess it is!!.

Can't say I completely enjoyed my time there, but it has a lot of memories for me and I geuss it'll be sad to see it go, if the relocation moves forward.

I was on the foundation course in 1980-81 and studied again for the HADAF course in the early 90's. Who were your tutors?. Did you come across Ed Mayer, Graham Bevan, Theo Cowdell and the like?. It all seems like such a long time ago now - but then I guess it is!!.

hi chrisp! yeah graham bevan was a foundation tutor, and also the wonderful fran saunders/hegarty, one of the most genuinely artistic people ive ever met.

It all seems like such a long time ago now - but then I guess it is!!

yeah...them were the days! first punk toon i ever heard was on the jukebox in the psalter lane bar - the stranglers it was. get this chrisp - they dont even have a bar now! how can you have a functioning art college without a BAR?!!!!! ;)

Can't say I completely enjoyed my time there, but it has a lot of memories for me and I geuss it'll be sad to see it go, if the relocation moves forward.

i had a great time, it was like having a years supply of get out of jail free cards! :)

lol they were supposed to be closing it when i went to hallam 6 years ago, i reacon it'll stay around for a while yet

I wouldnt say it was a tragedy. Maybe not ideal if you dont feel art students are able to perform in the same environment other students have to. Money wins over a right to artistic freedom of expression unfortunately. It would make a lovely building plot though....

and studied again for the HADAF course in the early 90's. Who were your tutors?. Did you come across Ed Mayer, ,,,.

I wanted to do History of Art, Design & Film in the late 80s, and cocked up my a levels and couldn't go. Studied film about 10 yrs later though! My mum went to Psalter Lane, and I've met Ed Meyer several times, jolly nice chap. Lives in Lincoln now.

lol they were supposed to be closing it when i went to hallam 6 years ago, i reacon it'll stay around for a while yet

apparently not kieran. its a done deal for 2008. :loopy:

Maybe not ideal if you dont feel art students are able to perform in the same environment other students have to.

i would say that many students need specific environments in which to perform to their maxium potential.

could the sports students practise at pond street? i think not. ;)

Money wins over a right to artistic freedom of expression unfortunately.

and which is more important? :)

Studied film about 10 yrs later though!

where did you do that? i did a degree in film and tv production at manch.

My mum went to Psalter Lane, and I've met Ed Meyer several times, jolly nice chap. Lives in Lincoln now.

ed...that rings a bell actually. was he the enigmatic history of art lecturer?

I wanted to do History of Art, Design & Film in the late 80s, and cocked up my a levels and couldn't go. Studied film about 10 yrs later though! My mum went to Psalter Lane, and I've met Ed Meyer several times, jolly nice chap. Lives in Lincoln now.

Sorry you didn't get on the course. I went back as a mature student after I got no where attempting to find a place on a graphics degree in the early

80's.

On reflection, I think being a bit older separated me from the rest of the students on HADAF who were all about 8 years younger. Anyhow, it was all a bit up and down for me, whatever the reasons.

So did you film course work for you?. Come to that, does anyone know of ex students who went on to work in a creative industry?.

Ed's a nice guy. I think he was living in Lincoln when I was on HADAF. Must be getting on a bit now though - I certainly am:) !!.

If the campus on Psalter Lane is closing then it's good news in my opinion. It's an eye sore and brings students dangerously close to Ecclesall. It's much better if Sheffield Hallam consolidates its campuses.

I started at PL 8 years ago studying Media and preffered it over both the other campus'. I know it wasn't as hip and high tech and it was a bu**er to get to but it was smaller, friendlier and the building was a weird mix of old and new and quite spooky at night.