Monthly Recycling

Oh i understand.i thought you only had one of each every two weeks, my mistake.

We have a burgundy bin - same size as a black one - for recyclables and then a black bin for the rest.We have 4 collections per month alternating weekly from black to burgundy.

In Stockport I have 4 bins, only the green one (food & garden waste) is collected every week, the black bin is every other week, the blue bin is in the intervening weeks, with the brown collected every 4th week with the blue bin. I can never remember without looking at the collection calendar. No idea why I,in Stockport, seemingly produce twice as much paper and card as I do in Sheffield.

I would prefer to have a fortnightly collection of the black bin and monthly collection of the recycling bins with 2 bin lorries being run together (one for general waste and one for recycling).

First collection would be for black bin and brown bin.

Second collection, a fortnight later, would be for black bin and blue bin.

Disturbance only every fortnight, and the two vehicles being run together would enable one bin crew to service both vehicles.

This would also see the end of the dreaded boxes with hats which were never fit for purpose.

We've nowhere to store another wheelie bin at least the box stacks on top of the blue bin

We've nowhere to store another wheelie bin at least the box stacks on top of the blue bin

We are the same, we live in a terrace house with shared access

take it council tax will be reduced then lol.

Perhaps the council could introduce bins a bit bigger to cope with the extra weeks of stuff

This would also see the end of the dreaded boxes with hats which were never fit for purpose.

You're not wrong about that. Those hats only last five minutes before they're shredded to bits. Fed up of ordering new ones. They do nothing to stop waste being blown all over the place. You can tell when it's been blue bin collection day, the street looks like the opening credits of Starskey and Hutch!

It means more in the black bins for Veolia to burn as they are running short on supply to keep the power generation output at optimal.

Well its here folks . Apparently yesterday our illustrious council voted to bring it in early next year . I recycle a lot but think I will struggle with a monthly collection . Its reported in the Star online . Just to add its Another contract that cannot be seen because its commercially sensitive :rant:

They're to provide a larger bin and have paper and the rest running out of sync by a fortnight aren't they?

So you still get a collection every fortnight, but only for 1 type each time.

I might struggle with the bottles and plastic, particularly if I have a party.

---------- Post added 23-12-2017 at 21:30 ----------

so you're going to get an extra large bin which they'll collect on week 1(as an example) for recyclables, then the black bin emptied and then paper and card. So is that 3 bin collections per month not the 2 you currently get.

We currently get 4 a month, or 1 a week, which includes 2* blue bin and blue box and 2* black bin.

So reduced service and I bet the CT goes up the maximum amount of 5.99%. A 6am start is a bit early for collecting the bins though.

Edited by iansheff

We live in a terraced house with shared access but could cope with three small bins, but I accept different solutions would be required for flats, houses accessed by a flight of steps, and large families - that's up to Veolia to be more flexible to make things work.

I would be happy for my neighbours to put their surplus in my half filled bin while it was on the footpath awaiting collection, provided the recycling was appropriate, general waste was bagged, and the bin wasn't over filled - it's all a matter of being reasonable and trying to make the system work for the benefit of us all.

Merry Christmas.

Edited by richb99
After thought

I've got no problems with 6am collections, frankly I'm relieved that the black bins are staying fortnightly and not going to 3 weekly or worse. I hope that the brown bins will accept a greater range of plastics than we can currently recycle, such as yogurt pots etc., and also that they will genuinely go for recycling...