Apprentice joiner has tools stolen

Hi,

My grandson is an apprentice joiner and in his first year alternating between site work and college.

My question is this; all apprentices are initially equipped with a number of tools and these can be taken home at the end of each day or left in a locker on site.

So what happens when some of his tools are stolen when on site, who is responsible for replacing them?

Thanks in sdvd÷÷dè

my guess would be him, unfortunately even work colleagues can be (insert swear word here)

Marking his tools in both an obvious and a non-obvious way will help, but ultimately if they are stolen while they are in his care, he will be liable for their replacement.

Unfortunately it will be your grandson.

If your grandson explains his situation to college, or his employers, they may furnish him with some replacements - not top of the range, just ones that'll get him by

Thanks for your help guys.

check if your household insurance covers tools/personal goods away from the home.

I left the construction industry 6yrs ago (sub-Joiner), partly due to the recession and partly the appalling drop in day rates thanks to the influx of migrant workers back then (poles)

Theft of tools was a nighmare, In my experience Joiners are the worst hit of all trades, Expensive powertools are like a magnet to others, other trades asking to borrow battery packs then swapping them for their old knackered ones (many times) White goods delivery drivers on site can't seem to resist popping the odd powertool into the empty packaging and leaving in a hurry (happened to me and others). Being almost scammed on refits in busy town centres, guy pops in wearing tradesmens clothes says they're working 3 shops down and can you loan out an old (whatever) they'll bring it back within the hour...bye bye tool!! Having bad stomach ache at 2pm because you need to go to the toilet but just know something will go missing whilst your out of sight, Not being allowed to park on site so having to park up at nearest NCP and make several journeys backwards and forwards praying the kit you just dropped off will be there when you get back.

Van getting broke into when working away, van getting smashed when thieves can't get in, garage at home getting broke into for tools...I could go on and on and on!

Needless to say I'm so glad to be out of it.

Edited by mrcharlie