Olive Grove Disco.

Did anyone used to go to the Olive Grove Disco in the 60, s? Always packed out, great memories.

Spilt a pint down this gorgeous girls brand new dress , she gave me a right round of f,s and b,s at alan dales disco 1968, we have been married 47 years this February

Spilt a pint down this gorgeous girls brand new dress , she gave me a right round of f,s and b,s at alan dales disco 1968, we have been married 47 years this February

Alan was my cousin, we used to go twice week, there was always a great selection of girls.

Alan was my cousin, we used to go twice week, there was always a great selection of girls.

From nicker factory?

It was 1971 when I first went in the Olive Grove with my girlfriend ( now my wife ) on a Thursday night.

We started to go in regular after that first time.......every Thursday night, sometimes the DJ would be Alan Dale and other times it would be another DJ with a surname of Jameson

( can't remember his first name ).

The Olive was the place that introduced me to the music of the Cream ( the band ) and I have been a fan of Cream ever since.

Used to go every Tuesday and Thursday 1967 onwards, good music and fantastic girls !

Used to go every Tuesday and Thursday 1967 onwards, good music and fantastic girls !

Alan used to have a disco at the Fleur De Ley's at Totley Monday and Friday. He had disco dancers at the Olive also remember Frank Whyte and Joe Cocker appearing. We also went on coach trips to the Lathkilldale Hotel always packed out, great times.

I was a regular from about 1967, twice a week regular as clockwork. It was always rammed and as others have said some proper crumpet got in there. Initially the DJ was Alan Dale who played mostly top twenty pop music and they used to have candles in bottles on the tables to give it ambience.  He was replaced with a DJ who called himself Sexy Rexy....I don't know what his real name was...but he played wall to wall prog rock and I loved it. Great memories of headbanging in front of his speakers to Deep Purple etc and I've still got a ringing in my ears 50 years later.😎

I was mortified to see it's been turned into a convenience shop now.😠

Just a word about the beer...it was from the old Tennants Brewery and the landlord, George? kept it very well, and if I could have a quid for every pint I had there I'd be a rich man now.

We had some great times there, Alan packed in when he got married, met loads of girls. The beer was good, not a lot of trouble just everyone enjoying the night, great times. After Alan was married we went down to the Olive a few weeks later to view the wedding film.

Yes, visited here many times in 1968 with my two mates Carl and Steve.

Alan Dale seemed to be always playing " Funky Street" by Arthur Conley.

Great times.

First time I got drunk in there in 68 6 pints of whitehead tankard before the ceiling started shining lol 2 best mates got me home that night somehow lol