Virgin broadband 200mbps

Im on the '300'mbps package, usually get about 380mbps in speedtests

---------- Post added 22-12-2017 at 15:55 ----------

I believe it depends how far you are from the 'box'. From the 'box' to your home uses copper cable. Their excuse would be it is 'upto' the quoted speed, not much use if only getting 40mb to be told well that is 'upto' :roll::huh:

Not the case with virgin services, works differently to ADSL

that reminds me, I have a dreadful experience with virgin media’s 5ghz wireless connection.

It regularly drops the connection and times out when browsing the web.

I have to use the 2.4ghz to get a stable connection

I had the same problem for years (both frequencies), I kept having to restart the router 2 to 10 times a week virgin blamed everything but their hub got pssed off especially bad one day and had a rant demanding a refund dating back to when i first complained. They supplied me with their new hub the following Saturday, not one issue since.

I had the same problem for years (both frequencies), I kept having to restart the router 2 to 10 times a week virgin blamed everything but their hub got pssed off especially bad one day and had a rant demanding a refund dating back to when i first complained. They supplied me with their new hub the following Saturday, not one issue since.

Are you using a superhub2 or 3?

I had terrible problems with superhub1 - the wireless signal strength was so poor, I could barely get a signal in the next room let alone the attic.

I complained and was given the superhub2 for “free” (had to pay £20 next day delivery). The wireless signal strength is much better, although I use it on 2.4ghz only.

I usually get very close to 200 on mine.

Just tested on ipad and got 156 - but also streaming to the Tv and 2 other iPads online at the same time.

I finally got round to running a wired speed test on my 100Mb VM connection earlier in the week:

105Mb down

6Mb up

Now that’s more like it!

I did have 200mbs with Virgin when I first joined as a special offer and always got 220mbs. Now I have downgraded to 100mbs because I didn’t want to pay an extra £5 a month for bandwidth I rarely use, I get 110mbs. I have never had an issue with Virgin.

Just tested mine on Ookla and getting 285.04 Mbps download speed and 20.58 upload, when I try these speedtests in the early hours the download speed is much nearer the 400 Mbps mark.

Not had any problems with Virgin before but for the last 10 days or so keep having long periods where the internet connection drops and it could take 8 or 10 attempts to reconnect, considering it takes more than 5 minutes a time to go through its connection procedure this can get really annoying, in fact on more than a few occasions I have had to stop myself ripping it out of the wall and chucking it down the garden.

Ignoring poor wi-fi speeds or 100mb network interfaces in connected kit the op's issues could be down to the contention ratio - at the end of the day there is only so much bandwidth available from the cabinet / local network hubs...

Ultimately the more people connected the less potential bandwidth each person has, not a problem if people are only browsing / checking emails but if everyone starts streaming video or hammering torrents it soon slow everyone / thing down as people start using more resources than the ISP "expects"

At one point my 150mb connection was lucky to hit 15mb on a good day, Virgin did some upgrades to improve the network (contention ratio) and now I get 210-220 on 200 connection all the time.