Old B & Q Greenland Road Darnall

----------

Of course it's a prime spot.that's why tesco wanted it in the 1st place.

A re-furbishment won't be that hard if they took it over.not only that,tesco will take customers from asda (Handsworth )& morrisons(catcliffe)in my opinion.

But.we'll have to see what happens.

Tesco recently closed lots of stores, and put a block on opening new superstores (of a similar size to The Wicker branch) - can't see them changing that policy just for that site.

reverting it back to a bus garage would be interesting (though they may not need that much space now).

Hopefully something positive will be built on the site - it was a real shame when Morrisons moved up from Darnall to Catcliffe and had a real detrimental effect on the shopping area there - it just needs someone in charge who wants to help push the area forward, rather than those who like to make lazy and cheap shots at the area and the mix of ethnicities in it - some people do just like to look down on others though, it seems.

Maybe if it had closed earlier, it might've been considered as the site for IKEA, rather than causing more traffic disruption at Meadowhall...

Edited by sheff71

If you look at some of the council reports you will see that B&Q in 2007 & 2009 tried to make some changes and wanted to support the local area but was blocked by the council. The report states that it has made a loss since opening and it seems they have tried to make it work but could not continue. It's a shame the council was not intrested in the regeneration of the area

Kingfisher who own B&Q, have decided to close some of its B&Q Stores, to build up its Screwfix brand as they also own this.

The 'D.I.Y Store Format' in general is dying and as most people will have noticed, Homebase is basically starting to disappear, as that too has become a money losing business for its owners ARG who also own Argos. They have tried to sell the Homebase business on but are struggling to find a buyer, that's why they have started to close the Homebase stores.

Sign of the times again I think.

Last March B&Q/Kingfisher announced they were closing 60 stores over the next two years.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/business/bq-shut-60-stores-find-5431934

---------- Post added 02-01-2016 at 10:19 ----------

If you look at some of the council reports you will see that B&Q in 2007 & 2009 tried to make some changes and wanted to support the local area but was blocked by the council. The report states that it has made a loss since opening and it seems they have tried to make it work but could not continue. It's a shame the council was not intrested in the regeneration of the area

The report you seem to be talking about may be the 2010 Cushman and Wakefield report here:

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/planning-and-city-development/planning-documents/reports/retail-studies-in-sheffield.html

It is noted that the Council refused planning permission in September 2007 for a variation to an existing planning condition attached to the B&Q store on the east side of Greenland Road. An existing condition (Condition 17) restricts the building to the sale of DIY goods and the refused planning permission sought to allow the use of the building for a foodstore. This store sits at best in an edge-of-centre location with a major highway acting as a barrier to the Centre.

Not immediately obvious how that would have helped.

Not surprised they are closing,the're way to expensive.

If you know what you want, going to their sister store Screwfix (an Argos type shopping experience) can save you a lot of money. I guess it also depends what you want though.

^Gav

Not for some things ie bulk buys on plaster/plaster boards building materials etc are very reasonable !

I was told a couple of months ago that the council have bought the land to build homes on.

I was also informed that Tesco were looking to buy a building further down the road.

If it wasn't surrounded by a main road on one side and an industrial park on the other 3 then I would have suggested that be the most likely outcome. They need to build more houses to fill up the new school they just built at don valley.

As said before no supermarket will be opening large stores in Sheffield any time soon, possibly never again of the size that this B&Q is.

Not for some things ie bulk buys on plaster/plaster boards building materials etc are very reasonable !

I agree just had some chipboard flooring, cheaper than all the local builders merchants that also wanted vat on top of the price !

That's good then although I have to say I don't like the Queens Road shop. I sometimes go to Parkgate and pop in the shop there so will have to travel there. It's quicker to get there then town too

Rotherham B&Q is also closing down in the next few month's, April time I think they said when I asked. Stairfoot B&Q near Barnsley closed down recently also.

Just to let you all know was talking to a staff member earlier today and they were saying that they are going to be having all there stock on clearance in the next couple of weeks until it's all sold. May be able to get a bargin

heads up for anyone doing any diy at moment...just got email to say all stock is now reduced