Three Tuns, Dronfield..

Quite a few people are turning up to discover that the Three Tuns - previously known as The Hallowes and Masons Arms - has now closed.

Hopefully the landlord managed to contact everyone who'd arranged any Christmas festivities.

Edited by RiffRaff

There will be a "Three Tuns' pop-up bar in Cliffe Park later this week.... check out the details on the Drone Valley Brewery website page.

The pub's closed, but they're holding a pop-up bar in a park?

Isn't that a little...erm...different?!

its the brewery that's popping up, with the Three Tuns name in name only...

Ah...right.

Maybe it's me, but wouldn't it make more sense to publicise/promote the brewery name as opposed to a pub that's no longer open?!

The Hall Barn do.....yes, nice one!

Hope all goes well.

its the brewery that's popping up, with the Three Tuns name in name only...

I thought the Three Tuns brewery and the owner/landlord of the Three Tuns were one and the same thing?

I must admit, I'm not surprised its closed down. I think the atmosphere in there was non-existent - very peculiar indeed. I don't know if it's something to do with the design of the building or the way they'd got it laid out inside, but it just wasn't at all very welcoming - even though the Landlord and his wife were always very pleasant. It just had a very poor vibe about it.

I stopped going in regularly some time ago now. It was when it was Spire Brewery beers dominated (which the Landlord brewed himself I believe). They had a cracking beer called...(sorry, forgotten, but it was a strong pale one, about 6%). I really liked that beer (the name will come back to me! Hopefully!). Then one night I had a pint of it and it was off - like vinegar. There was no problem in them changing it for me but they didn't take it off the pump. They just left it on to sell more to the next customers.

I went in a few nights later and saw it was still on - so I asked for a taste to see if they'd put a new barrel on. It was ghastly - still the same vinegary beer.

Sometimes beer starts to get a little hint of vinegary-ness about it as it nears the bottom of the barrel, or if it's been stood in the pipes a while. But this wasn't a slight hint - it was almost rancid. Anyone tasting that could tell that it was off - but the thing is, I suppose, some folks literally will drink anything and many others, if not most, will not dare complain.

The fact I'd brought it to their attention that it was off several days before and yet they were still trying to flog it to unsuspecting customers put me right off going in there regularly after that.

Last time I went in was probably about a year ago I think. Pity, because it had a huge range of beer, but not all of it was well kept unfortunately.

EDIT: The name of that beer was "Amarillo".

Edited by DerbyTup

I have lived literally round the corner from it for the past 3 years and have never been in, it just never seemed very ..... inviting. Much prefer the Dronfield arms.

I have lived literally round the corner from it for the past 3 years and have never been in, it just never seemed very ..... inviting. Much prefer the Dronfield arms.

That's interesting Scott. That was always my main issue with it - and similarly with some of my friends. We used to do a regular pub crawl around Dronfield but none of them really enjoyed going in the Three Tuns - it was the atmosphere more than anything else.

I wonder if the Landlord and Landlady were aware of this? Because daft though it may sound, changing the look and feel of a place, even just changing the lighting, can transform the way a place feels.

(That's another point actually about the lighting in there - it was sometimes quite stark and bright which gave a cold "working men's club" feel to it).

A big pub, high ceilings, big rooms, barely decorated, bright lighting, the whole ambience of the thing was wrong.

Shame because the exterior is classic and it ought to be a booming pub with lots of well-off folk not far away.

btw, the Three Tuns brewery is from somewhere like Bishops Castle, Shropshire, I think, so nowt to do with them.

I find the Dronny Arms intimidating a tad.... the locals all gather in the narrow corridor part of the bar. Nice beer though... much of it brewed there.... Hopjacker Brewery under the floor! Still, no TV, no one-arm bandits.... good points