Neville Watts – Monty’s Motors

Hey up, thanks for sensibly clicking onto this thread.

During 1972-73ish I worked for one year and one week at Neville Watts Ironmongers on Fitzwilliam Street, City Centre. The shop was situated atween the Raven (Whitbread) pub, and Shepherds (Sheppards) Opticians (this shop is still theere).

One of my many duties at N. Watts was to write a postcard to customers to inform them items they had ordered were now to hand and ready for collection. Some customers preferred their items to be sent by post or to be delivered by our van driver, Tom Lunn. When Tom sadly died, and a lovely man he was… he was replaced by Frank Wong, a Scouser of Chinese origin.

Items included the usual ironmongery: kicking plates, door closers, locks, keys, escutcheons, etc.

One of our customers was: Mr. Dimberline at Monty’s motors, out Oughtibridge – Deepcar way? His name has come back to my mind hundred’s of times over the years.

Who was Mr Dimberline?

Zakes as i remember John Dimberline was Louis Monfredis Son In Law ,he ran the offshoot of Montys Winchester Motors at the Bottom of Herries Rd near the Wednesday ground,He unfortunately died from a heamorage whilst on the toilet as far as i know.He wasnt very old when he passed away.

Thanx bullerboy for your response. Although I didn’t make it clear enough in my original post, I was hoping for confirmation of Monty’s Motors being out Oughtibridge / Deepcar way. That is where I thought I had sent the ironmongery items to, in early 70s.

Sorted.

Yes Zakes they were at the bottom of the road where i lived,Louis Monfredi was the owner then Steven his son and Marie his daughter who i think John Dimberline married,Graham Pheonix was the service manager in those far of days,Before it was Montys at Oughtibridge it was Joe Quinces Garage,he sold motorbikes and was the agent for Vincents and EMC.

Now that brings back memories. I bought my first car from Monty's in Oughtibridge. My parents had bought me a second hand car for my 17th birthday, but I always wanted a mini & they had got me a rather unreliable Triumph Herald. So without their knowledge I traded it at Monty's for a pale yellow mini which I just adored. I laugh now when I think of the little mini with the massively long gear stick that they used to have in them.I was devastated when some clown pulled out of the pub that lead down to the Rd behind the main Rd can't remember the name of the pub or the Rd anyway he hit the side of my precious mini & got out & abused me. I was 18 & very new to driving etc . He got away with it in the end as he wasn't insured. So Monty's certainly brought back memories for me.

Yes Zakes they were at the bottom of the road where i lived,Louis Monfredi was the owner then Steven his son and Marie his daughter who i think John Dimberline married,Graham Pheonix was the service manager in those far of days,Before it was Montys at Oughtibridge it was Joe Quinces Garage,he sold motorbikes and was the agent for Vincents and EMC.

Louis and Lily also had an older son called Leonard then Jeanne then Marie and Steven.

John Dimberline was married to Jeanne and Marie was married to Mick before their divorce.

It's always been a very family business one way or the other.

Thats right Jaffa i forgot about Len etc it was a long time ago. i used to go down after my day job and do some extra work for them at night.I remember one of the daughters lived in the Bungalow on the front near the pumps.

Hello Zakes, my father drove Neville Watts’ van in the early fifties. I see that you worked there yourself and would be delighted to know the make of the van and the colour, to satisfy my nostalgia.

I was very young and my memory is unclear, but I seem to remember that the van was cream coloured in the top half and orange in the bottom half with mid-brown coloured mudguards.

Can you (or anyone) help.