Update on Walkley Library?

I didn’t really understand that comment - it could never be a bad thing but which traders would be semi/reliant on a cafe bar opening at the end of south road?

I don't know which traders the poster meant specifically but I presume they have some knowledge of the businesses around there?

A bit off topic WalkleyIan but what's happening to the old Ebenezar church on South Road? I've lived in the area for a few years and it seems to be having some major work done on it?

A bit off topic WalkleyIan but what's happening to the old Ebenezar church on South Road? I've lived in the area for a few years and it seems to be having some major work done on it?

New flats but more upmarket than the last ones it seems. Interior is being removed including the organ, outside restored, upgraded entrance. The previous sticking point was the listed interior but that seems to have been overcome.

Its been empty for more than 5 years full of pigeons so this is welcome. Plans are on the council planning portal, sorry dont have the link to hand. Will post when I find it

---------- Post added 18-10-2018 at 23:15 ----------

found it

17/05213/LBC

Ebenezer Chapel

South Road

Walkley

Sheffield

S6 3TD

Removal of existing student accommodation on ground floor and conversion to eight one and two bedroom apartments; removal of organ, pulpit and partial removal of first floor balcony; reinstatement of original main entrance, lobby and route up to first floor level; installation of mezzanine floors in part of the first floor conversion; insertion of new services and party walls/floors; and proposed access improvements with the erection of a new external stepped ramp

Just a pity the new retail units and flats at the old Albert Ross site have now stalled

I didn’t really understand that comment - it could never be a bad thing but which traders would be semi/reliant on a cafe bar opening at the end of south road?

Having just watched the video posted recently, it does seem that local businesses were holding on for the library/cafe to come through, due to the "cluster effect" it would have helped to create. I wonder if any/many traders will close their doors now?

New flats but more upmarket than the last ones it seems. Interior is being removed including the organ, outside restored, upgraded entrance. The previous sticking point was the listed interior but that seems to have been overcome.

Its been empty for more than 5 years full of pigeons so this is welcome. Plans are on the council planning portal, sorry dont have the link to hand. Will post when I find it

---------- Post added 18-10-2018 at 23:15 ----------

found it

17/05213/LBC

Ebenezer Chapel

South Road

Walkley

Sheffield

S6 3TD

Removal of existing student accommodation on ground floor and conversion to eight one and two bedroom apartments; removal of organ, pulpit and partial removal of first floor balcony; reinstatement of original main entrance, lobby and route up to first floor level; installation of mezzanine floors in part of the first floor conversion; insertion of new services and party walls/floors; and proposed access improvements with the erection of a new external stepped ramp

Just a pity the new retail units and flats at the old Albert Ross site have now stalled

The new application for the Albert Ross site no longer contains any retail units, it’s purely residential, which I do think is a shame.

last time I was there the Walkey shops were in a dreadful state. If young professionals really do live there they for sure don't shop there.

last time I was there the Walkey shops were in a dreadful state. If young professionals really do live there they for sure don't shop there.

When was that?

July. Dreadful. Although Walkey has never been much of a thriving area really, the restaurants in particular looked very poor. It just just doesn't compare to Abbeydale road at all which actually looks like a street in quite a prosperous US city. South Road looked like a street in some garbage half-dead town in north east Pennsylvania.

July. Dreadful. Although Walkey has never been much of a thriving area really, the restaurants in particular looked very poor. It just just doesn't compare to Abbeydale road at all which actually looks like a street in quite a prosperous US city. South Road looked like a street in some garbage half-dead town in north east Pennsylvania.

Is there a town called Walkey in NE Pennsylvania?

it was never that great. But the peak years for Walkey were probably around 2000-2002. That was when it looked kind of half good. I'll repeat that it was never that advanced in the first place. But now it looks a lot less good than it did then even. Whereas Abbeydale road looks a lot better now than back then. People actually go there, for the specific reason, to buy a meal in a restaurant or have a drink. That does not happen in Walkley these days. It is a pity because it is a nice area.