Update on Walkley Library?

There are quite a few businesses that seem to be doing ok. Poor old Walkley - upgrade from just having a big Netto and a greasy spoon and everyone cries gentrification (and did someone really say yuppies? I can’t say as I’ve met too many round that way...), slow down the rate of change and everyone says it’s dying a death. Walkley has some nice restaurants and a few decent places to drink, not to mention an amazing library run by people who pour their hearts into trying to build and support the community, and Abbeydale Road is miles away, so whether it looks like Wall Street or Skid Row, I choose Walkley every time.

ok so the Netto, who have gone out of business everywhere else as well, has been replaced by an Asda. Isn't that progress.

the restaurants are obviously terrible the few that have remained restaurants keep changing from one genre to the next for no apparent reason. It is unlikely that whatever type of food somebody wants to sell, be it Lebanese or Japanese is going to sell in Walkley. Nobody wants to know. Half the pubs have shut down. It is a nice area like I said but nobody is going to make a mint there any time soon.

ok so the Netto, who have gone out of business everywhere else as well, has been replaced by an Asda. Isn't that progress.

the restaurants are obviously terrible the few that have remained restaurants keep changing from one genre to the next for no apparent reason. It is unlikely that whatever type of food somebody wants to sell, be it Lebanese or Japanese is going to sell in Walkley. Nobody wants to know. Half the pubs have shut down. It is a nice area like I said but nobody is going to make a mint there any time soon.

You haven't been to Vito's then?

sorry I don't make a habit of going to totally nondescript looking Italian-type restaurants anywhere.

what was that place BEFORE it was Vito's? Do you know?

sorry I don't make a habit of going to totally nondescript looking Italian-type restaurants anywhere.

Next time you're in Walkley give Vito's a visit, it's excellent.

It's not struggling at all and is still improving.

Whether or not people prefer Meersbrook I don't know but that doesn't mean Walkley is struggling.

I have the impression, based on a lot of very public comments from the owners of Beaches, that the businesses are barely making ends meet and it won't take much for them to go under. I'm not sure if they really mean themselves though, rather than all the shops and restaurants. e.g. I know the record shop is doing very well.

---------- Post added 20-10-2018 at 02:13 ----------

The lebanese has been there years, and does very nice food.

Both the Italians are very good too and seem to do enough trade.

I am puzzled about the huge Indian though - I have never seen anyone in it (or come out with takeaway), yet it's been there years.

Edited by nightrider

Completely baffled by this.

As the poster who replied to this said, both Italians and the Lebanese do nice food and seem to have a good trade (though agree about the perpetually empty Indian). To add to that, in the daytime there's Gerties and Gerry's which are always packed, Cafe Pie (not just a greasy spoon) seems to do pretty well and have recently discovered Joespresso, which is fantastic.

It's a shame about the library development and I really hope it stays, but would be amazed if these other businesses folded just because of this.

---------- Post added 20-10-2018 at 08:09 ----------

Oh, and just to add the Walkley Beer Company is really popular and the Blind Monkey, a couple of minutes down the hill seems to be doing a roaring trade.

I don't know if you've trolling, but this really is absolute nonsense. I can't think of any restaurants that have "changed from one genre to the next".

I'm not sure how long exactly they've been there, but Vito's for example has awards on their website going back to 2012. So at least six years.

Rowsha similarly has been there years and recently doubled in size. As did Italian Express.

Blind Monkey has just had a fortune spent on it. Walkley Beer Company is packed every night it opens. Rose House, whilst not to my taste, is always busy.

I'm not saying the cafe bar wouldn't have been great for Walkley, and you're right that it's not as vibrant as Abbeydale or Ecclesall Road. But it isn't anywhere near as bad as you're making out.

---------- Post added 20-10-2018 at 16:27 ----------

Vitos has been there at least 25 years. It was a good restaurant then and

still was, when I visited a few month ago

I cannot remember for sure what it was before. I vaguely think it could

have been a Boots Chemist. or Roys Bistro in 1980's

I fail to see what was there,30 plus years ago has anything to do

with what is there now.

Edited by bazjea

I wonder whether True North pulled out because some find it very frustrating dealing with the planning & conservation officers when trying to develop listed buildings- and the costs spiral. Would be interesting to know the reason anyway?

If True North have pulled out that's a great shame. Also IMHO it's a poor business decision. It's true that lots of young professionals are moving into the area. In my street alone, in the last year or so seven houses have been taken up by young professionals. It's unkind to label them yuppies, as some here have done: they're all really nice people, and are the future of our area. The proposed Library cafe bar would have been a great success, so let's hope there's another chance for it to happen.

I wonder whether True North pulled out because some find it very frustrating dealing with the planning & conservation officers when trying to develop listed buildings- and the costs spiral. Would be interesting to know the reason anyway?

I know Architects that have packed in due to planning officers who have no idea as to construction matters in the real World.