Supertram problems

Today I was waiting at the Crystal Peaks tram stop for 25 minutes . I overheard someone in the huge queue (over 70 people) , say they had been waiting 45 minutes for a supposedly 10 minute service . Now some people will say its because of all the Christmas shoppers but this has been going on for weeks ,if not months . When you ask a conductor about the delays , you get a stock answer " Hillsborough corner is like a car park" . Now if this is true ,does anyone know what the authorities are doing to alleviate this problem? Sorry for the long rant but this has been building up for weeks

The authorities are doing nothing.

I heard a driver the other day suggesting to passengers they get in touch with the council, it took us 20+ minutes to get from Shalesmoor to Hillsborough due to 'peak' traffic.

I thought Stagecoach were running the trams in Sheffield?

The traffic situation in the Hillsborough area has been causing problems for trams for sometime now, its got much worse since the bus/tram gate was relaxed by the council, who are desperate to be seen as car friendly, and there can be queuing traffic along Holme Lane from Hillsborough to Malin Bridge, queuing traffic past Hillsborough Interchange bus station and sometimes backed up across Hillsborough corner onto Middlewood Road. In my opinion the problems are also made worse by the constant convoy of 52 and 52a buses trying to pull out of the bus station and turn, blocking the lane of traffic where the tram tracks are in the process - does there really need to be that many buses on the bit between Crookes and Hillsborough?

Traffic is always worse at this time of year but in the last few weeks there seems to have been bad traffic on the Parkway, Cricket Inn Road, City Centre, the inner ring road and City Road.

It is generally Shalesmoor-Middlewood/Malin Bridge where trams run on street that they have the problems though - you will notice the Purple route doesn't suffer as bad!

---------- Post added 16-12-2017 at 18:06 ----------

To add, the new timetable from 28th January has longer journey times through Hillsborough and extra layover time between trips at the terminus to reflect that traffic is worse than it used to be, that should improve the reliability of the tram service.

Too many cars especially on the bit next to the bus interchange, all trying to get up to Walkley and Crookes.

It really is gridlocked around fivish.

It was also very bad on Thursday night about 6:30ish. Don't know if there are some roadworks nearby causing people to use Hillsborough corner more?

Plus all the new trams are apparently out of action as they cant cope with ice/frost/snow

Plus all the new trams are apparently out of action as they cant cope with ice/frost/snow

I have heard they were running fewer trams

I think it was Thursday night the bottom of Hollins Lane got closed off at 3:30 pm; I just managed to nick through as they were blocking it off. This has definitely caused problems all around as traffic has been forced to use different routes to/from Stannington/Hillsborough.

I believe it is now open but many people, who's usual route is Hollins, won't know that and so are still using alternative routes; hence continued gridlock today.

its not just today , its been getting worse for a long time

Unforeseen problems with the sanding equipment I believe.

Today I was waiting at the Crystal Peaks tram stop for 25 minutes . I overheard someone in the huge queue (over 70 people) , say they had been waiting 45 minutes for a supposedly 10 minute service . Now some people will say its because of all the Christmas shoppers but this has been going on for weeks ,if not months . When you ask a conductor about the delays , you get a stock answer " Hillsborough corner is like a car park" . Now if this is true ,does anyone know what the authorities are doing to alleviate this problem? Sorry for the long rant but this has been building up for weeks

Too many cars. What are car drivers doing to reduce unnecessary journeys? Most of them will be doing nothing I imagine, other than sitting in traffic jams fuming about traffic....

Meanwhile, if the council prevented cars using Hillsborough corner, they would be shredded on here and elsewhere.

There is no answer that is acceptable to all, so I would get used to the new normal if I were you.