Sending Christmas Cards To Colleagues

Why do people send Christmas cards around work, does anybody actually appreciate them? People at my old job didn't like the fact that I never sent out Christmas cards. People who I didn't even talk to would hand me a card (they went straight in the bin), but I think I was one of the only ones who asked about people's plans, what they were doing for Christmas, showed a genuine interest etc.

Surely that is more important than writing a cookie cutter phrase on a piece of card.

So this is a Christmas appeal, please don't burden the colleagues you don't really care about with unwanted Christmas cards :)

I have no religion. No one has ever bothered me about not celebrating Eid, Diwali or Hanukkah. Mention you don't celebrate Christmas and you get funny looks and name calling.

At work we have a board where you can post a Christmas card or note to your work colleagues, and a charity donation box.

Have you ever told them you don't want a card?

I have a number of friends and colleagues who for whatever reason don't do cards at Christmas - ones a pagan.

This year i won't be sending any to my work colleagues,our annual get together was in November and i don't like any of them enough to pay for a stamp.

Why do people send Christmas cards around work, does anybody actually appreciate them? People at my old job didn't like the fact that I never sent out Christmas cards. People who I didn't even talk to would hand me a card (they went straight in the bin), but I think I was one of the only ones who asked about people's plans, what they were doing for Christmas, showed a genuine interest etc.

Surely that is more important than writing a cookie cutter phrase on a piece of card.

So this is a Christmas appeal, please don't burden the colleagues you don't really care about with unwanted Christmas cards :)

Or you could, you know, write a non-cookie cutter phrase and make it that much more personal, because giving a Christmas case is a personal manifestation of goodwill?

Whether the recipients appreciate it or not...is not what Christmas is about, is it?