Should the council use private company to fine people dropping litter?

Should the council use a company to fine people dropping litter?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Should the council use a company to fine people dropping litter?

• The council should use a company to fine people dropping litter
    • The council should not use a company to fine people dropping litter

UK private companies gone out of control, we are moving back to old days. A loving understanding attitude is replaced with a greedy selfish one. I consider that worse than street littering.

Totally with you there Dutch.

I'd rather see the money spent on an anti-litter campaign. Does anyone remember the public information films that used to be on the telly? And the campaigns in school? What happened to those?

Until dropping litter is seen as deeply anti-social, people's behaviour is not going to change.

But manufacturers need to reduce packaging also.

Also think educating will be more helpful. A fine wont do it, let them go to a mandatory course that tries to change their mind on littering.

in certain places, meadowhall and the train station for instance, many litter bins have been removed for security reasons. this doesn't seem to promote littering though?

the pavements around takeaway outlets seem to attract littering and maybe we should encourage such outlets to educate their customers in disposing of snack cartons and wrappers appropriately. An idea would be for takeaways to add their logo to food trays and packaging then the council know where to concentrate their efforts.

I think with places like Meadowhall it's just that they have a large number of cleaning staff on hand to make the place look spic and span. It's in their interests as a business to attract customers.

I agree with you on the takeaway issue. It's not just near the takeaways though, there's a sweet spot about half a mile away in every direction, when the customer has finished their nosh, or decided they've had enough and just dump them on the pavement or in your hedge, or on your doorstep. :rant:

---------- Post added 22-12-2017 at 11:48 ----------

I'd rather see the money spent on an anti-litter campaign. Does anyone remember the public information films that used to be on the telly? And the campaigns in school? What happened to those?

Until dropping litter is seen as deeply anti-social, people's behaviour is not going to change.

But manufacturers need to reduce packaging also.

I'm sure that used to be the case though, there were lots of campaigns when I was a kid. It was drummed into us not to drop litter. Someone, I think it was Cyclone mentioned something about young people not thinking or not caring, but I don't buy that as an excuse. Some people (young and old) care about their environment, some people don't give a monkey's.

I would rather any money was spent on providing plenty of bins and making sure they are emptied regularly.

Edited by Olive

Why do people need educating beyond 5 years old.

That's a parents job not mine.

Why do people drop litter?

Because they can get away with it.

Why do people drop litter?

Because they can get away with it.

I can get away with it, but don't drop it on floor. Dropping litter is often childish, nothing wrong in trying to take litterer a little higher if possible. Many parents in todays society are struggling and it is getting harder, wonder why. When it rains blame the cloud.

I think you must live in a perfect world with no real idea what the police can attribute to anti social behaviour. You only have to watch police programmes to see that they do detain people for ignoring their requests and walking away.

Legislation amendments

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2005/16/section/19

see sub section 3.

That's more like it.

So it IS an offence to refuse to give name and address and now we've established that.

---------- Post added 22-12-2017 at 12:07 ----------

In general? So schools aren't necessary?

Or specifically for this issue? In which case, it's pretty much down to the parents attitude themselves isn't it.

And since you can easily spot middle aged people in the town centre dropping rubbish, clearly not all adults care. If the parents don't care, the children definitely won't.

So kids need education and adults need fining... Because they're already fully aware that it's antisocial, but they don't give a monkeys, because they can get away with it. So make it that they can't.

That's more like it.

So it IS an offence to refuse to give name and address and now we've established that.

---------- Post added 22-12-2017 at 12:07 ----------

In general? So schools aren't necessary?

Or specifically for this issue? In which case, it's pretty much down to the parents attitude themselves isn't it.

And since you can easily spot middle aged people in the town centre dropping rubbish, clearly not all adults care. If the parents don't care, the children definitely won't.

So kids need education and adults need fining... Because they're already fully aware that it's antisocial, but they don't give a monkeys, because they can get away with it. So make it that they can't.

Thats why i said beyond 5 - my 4 year old grandson already knows not to drop litter and its been reinforced at both pre school and nursery. Simple things like putting wrappers in pockets and snack things back in lunch boxes.

I think we have waste bins and signage for littering - so once they can read no need to drop litter - that applies to parents and children.

You're quite right it isn't just the young its all ages , so yes they are antisocial - but i bet i they complain if they walk in dog crap.

Kids of all ages know that they've been told not to drop litter. That doesn't stop them doing it, and that will no doubt include your grandson at some point.

Just read an article about a mum hit with an £80 fine for her kids emptying crumbs out of the bags after eating their snacks. The mother put the bags in the bin. A Bradford City Council spokesperson said: “Feeding pigeons in the city centre is discouraged as it can attract vermin and then makes the streets and buildings dirty. It is classed as a littering offence yet the mum says there were no signs saying so. The wardens work for 3GS who are employed to be tough on litter louts.On the ticket she was issued it says ‘I believe’ rather than ‘I witnessed’ her doing it.” Is this just an example of private companies trying to make money?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/mum-slapped-80-fine-littering-11758984

Edited by iansheff