Should the council use private company to fine people dropping litter?

Should the council use a company to fine people dropping litter?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Should the council use a company to fine people dropping litter?

• The council should use a company to fine people dropping litter
    • The council should not use a company to fine people dropping litter

I'd be fascinated to see what legal powers give them the right to detain someone.

I didn't realise we'd passed laws allowing for civilian police forces to be formed, and a citizens arrest can only be used in very clear circumstances (which don't include littering).

Not sure of the name of the programme but there was a programme on BBC1 about litter wardens, think it was in Preston or maybe Cheshire. These wardens were issuing "fines" to people who were dropping litter, cigarette ends and people with dogs who didn't clear the mess up after them.

Yes absolutely, and anyone caught flytipping should have all their vehicles taken away and crushed.

People dropping litter should all be made to do community service picking litter as well as being fined.

Spot on, there used to be a sign at a place we walk through saying ' anyone caught fly tipping faces a fine of up to £50k'.

If that was enforced and some were fined that and vehicles crushed fly tipping would be vastly reduced.

If they can't pay it stop it out of wages til it's paid off and if they're not working stop it out of benefits.

It's been on local news today about how fly tipping has increased in Yorkshire and how it's costing councils millions. Not surprising really when the sanctions are so pathetic.

Does this not open up a can of worms in regards to "official fine" vs "Private Invoice"?

As in....Are the company issuing legally binding fines on behalf of the council? Or are they merely issuing a non-enforceable invoice?

I am totally anti littering, I think it is both lazy and filthy. But the expense of recruiting a third party to come and hand out non-enforceable invoices would be nothing but counter productive and a waste of money.

I'd be fascinated to see what legal powers give them the right to detain someone.

I didn't realise we'd passed laws allowing for civilian police forces to be formed, and a citizens arrest can only be used in very clear circumstances (which don't include littering).

I was wrong about the detaining part, that only applies if it's a PCSO, everything else i said is correct. It is an offence to not provide or give false details to an authorised officer.

---------- Post added 14-12-2017 at 21:55 ----------

Does this not open up a can of worms in regards to "official fine" vs "Private Invoice"?

As in....Are the company issuing legally binding fines on behalf of the council? Or are they merely issuing a non-enforceable invoice?

I am totally anti littering, I think it is both lazy and filthy. But the expense of recruiting a third party to come and hand out non-enforceable invoices would be nothing but counter productive and a waste of money.

They are completely enforceable and legally binding.

I don't have time to research this in depth - but

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2005/16/section/7

Handy note re powers of the PCSO - https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/117572/pcso-powers.pdf

Edited by redfox

Nothing about detaining people there.

Nothing about detaining people there.

It does actually.

The Power to detain is 30 minutes - (provided the PCSO has been given power to detain by the Chief Constable - and the power can be restricted simply to provide name and address and not detain) Schedule 4 Para 2 Police Reform Act 2002.

This is what I could find re West Yorks and the actions of the Chief Constable in that force area.

Nobody was talking about PCSOs though, we're talking about a private company that would be issuing fines for littering.

When you say 'nobody' do you mean you?

It has been mentioned - I sought to assist on the legal position.

I mean the conversation.

Try reading it.

posts #37 and #38 specifically.

Nobody had talked about PCSOs, nobody denied that they have the right to detain people, what you did was raise a strawman. Your post #44, first time PCSOs are ever mentioned, I ignored that reference because it's irrelevant, we're talking about a private company handing out fines for littering, PCSOs are not involved and their ability to detain people is irrelevant.

Edited by Cyclone