Low booming noise 11/12/17

Can anyone else hear that low-pitched booming sound (I'm in Hillsborough)? Keeps coming and going. Annoying when trying to sleep!

I’m in Stannington and heard a low booming sound about an hour ago.

Tree Penguins diving in the Don?

Tree Penguins diving in the Don?

Not those critters again ? :hihi:

Drop steel hammer/forging, we are at the Manor top and we can hear it very clearly, been going on for years, used to it now though,

Drop steel hammer/forging, we are at the Manor top and we can hear it very clearly, been going on for years, used to it now though,

Living in Wincobank I regularly hear the low booming of the drop hammer at Forgemasters. Is there somewhere near Hillsborough that has one?

Heard it last night, definitely forging work.

When I clicked on as to what it was I had a little smile - surely it's a good thing if our steelworks are still going.

Well I thought it *might* be forging, but I can't remember ever hearing it from Hillsborough before? Perhaps something to do with the cold conditions carrying sound better, or them having to make something which needs extra force?

Anyway if it was that then I'm not bothered, just get frustrated at strange noises in the night :)

RE the Hilsboro tree penguins , they are almost a extinct species since Alcoblog became tee total !!!!

I did not think tree penguins came this far south do they? I know it’s cold at moment

I am going to stick me neck on the line here and resist the urge to google it...

But doesn't sound travel much further in cold weather?

I can't remember the exact sciences regarding it all however I remember something on (Ice Road Truckers of all educational programmes). It may be something to do with cold laying air at lower levels forcing warm air upwards and deviating the path in which noise travels.

Go on google it and ridicule me :hihi:

Ah yes, it looks like there may have been an "inversion" last night which will probably have caused the sound to carry further.