Council tree felling...

But yesterday they sank to new lows by arresting a woman for blowing a horn .

I've seen the footage. I'm broadly in favour of lot of the tree protestors aim - but to be honest she asked for it.

The police & security seem to have generally well behaved and patient. There's a lot of middle class folk who've never been told no before. God knows who they'd have coped with "old fashioned" policing

I've seen the footage. I'm broadly in favour of lot of the tree protestors aim - but to be honest she asked for it.

The police & security seem to have generally well behaved and patient. There's a lot of middle class folk who've never been told no before. God knows who they'd have coped with "old fashioned" policing

Yes, it seems she was warned but decided to blow it anyway. The video clip only shows a small snapshot of the incident, maybe she had displayed disorderly behaviour all day, and this was the last straw after being given many warnings and chances? Or maybe she just blew it twice and the cop over reacted?

I don't know as I wasn't there, but I am at least able to appreciate that there could be more to it than that video clip shows, unlike some on here who appear unable to do so.

By arresting a woman for blowing a horn , its clear the Plods policy is now to come up with any old rubbish they can to arrest protesters so they can remove them from the scene. Its guaranteed the charges against this woman will be dropped .

And please dont say smoeone must have complained about the noise from her horn because there was half a dozen blokes using chainsaws no more than 15 ft away .

---------- Post added 22-03-2018 at 18:48 ----------

Yes, it seems she was warned but decided to blow it anyway. The video clip only shows a small snapshot of the incident, maybe she had displayed disorderly behaviour all day, and this was the last straw after being given many warnings and chances? Or maybe she just blew it twice and the cop over reacted?

I don't know as I wasn't there, but I am at least able to appreciate that there could be more to it than that video clip shows, unlike some on here who appear unable to do so.

Please tell me which law she broke ?

By arresting a woman for blowing a horn , its clear the Plods policy is now to come up with any old rubbish they can to arrest protesters so they can remove them from the scene. Its guaranteed the charges against this woman will be dropped .

And please dont say smoeone must have complained about the noise from her horn because there was half a dozen blokes using chainsaws no more than 15 ft away .

I think she was arrested for taking the p*ss more than anything. As i said - I'm broadly in favour of a lot of the protesters aims - but she hasnt done them any favours if even I think the copper was in the right.

Please tell me which law she broke ?

The Public Order Act at a wild guess?

Maybe her behaviour throughout the day contributed to her arrest, with the repeat blowing of the horn being the last straw after many warnings?

Maybe her behaviour throughout the day contributed to her arrest, with the repeat blowing of the horn being the last straw after many warnings?

Half a dozen workmen were using chainsaws a few feet away making 10 times more noise . Surely they were committing the same offence ?

Half a dozen workmen were using chainsaws a few feet away making 10 times more noise . Surely they were committing the same offence ?

Thats ridiculous. So any workman using a chainsaw, or loud power tool should now be arrested? What about road workers digging up the road? or anyone else going about their lawful activities where they make a noise?

I wouldn't have thought that noise alone would be the offence, more the unnecessary behaviour surrounding it, and perhaps the likelihood of someone being upset as a result?. Im sure if you google the Public Order Act, as I'm sure you already have, it will explain it better than I can be bothered to.

I'm not sure that blowing a plastic trumpet in broad daylight is likely to be seen by any rational person as a public order offence. As far as I know, there is no law against blowing a plastic trumpet, so the repeat warnings are pretty irrelevant too.

I'd love this one to get to court, but I guess that she will be de-arrested. Just like most of the protesters who get taken away by the police.

I'm not sure that blowing a plastic trumpet in broad daylight is likely to be seen by any rational person as a public order offence. As far as I know, there is no law against blowing a plastic trumpet, so the repeat warnings are pretty irrelevant too.

I'd love this one to get to court, but I guess that she will be de-arrested. Just like most of the protesters who get taken away by the police.

There isnt

I guess that she will be de-arrested. Just like most of the protesters who get taken away by the police.

Well I would say thats the best result for everyone. Protestor removed lawfully, workmen get to carry out their work, tree is felled lawfully, protestor de-arrested without charge. Result all round.

Edited by WarPig

Well I would say thats the best result for everyone. Protestor removed lawfully, workmen get to carry out their work, tree is felled lawfully, protestor de-arrested without charge. Result all round.

It is a poor result, as well you know.

Using the police as a political weapon never ends well.

I do hope that the police are ready to continue Trumpetgate, I think they’ve just bitten off more than they can chew

Edited by Naive

You do all realise that it is only a small majority of folk that have an interest in saving the trees. Many people are commenting on the police as if it is the next Orgreave or hills borough when in fact it makes a few lines in the local paper and there are very few comments made on the YouTube clips.

It’s only big on S F.

The rest of sheffield is just getting on with living.