Council tree felling...

Sheffield no longer on Sunday Times' list of best places to live due to tree felling protests - take a bow folks.

Sheffield no longer on Sunday Times' list of best places to live due to tree felling protests - take a bow folks.

Unfortunately I have found when travelling abroad, quite often the first thing people mention about Sheffield is the tree felling and how awful it is.

Take a bow SCC. :roll:

like...wow, I'm sure the Times reading public will be devastated by that, really.

I'm off to Devon soon, i'll ask friends there what they think of Sheffield, I'm sure the first thing they will say is that it isn't on the Times best places to live because of tree felling.

what a load of complete <removed> and a waste of time.

on a different note, Rotherham made the crap town list top 20 of 2018. No tree felling there

Edited by nikki-red

Can you not have feelings about an organisation?

Penistone999 has referred to every single police officer, which I find quite strange. It kind of invalidates his/her opinions by saying such sweeping statements, but it does give a glimpse into his/her mindset I suppose.

What about people from other employments/organisations/groups/cultures/backgrounds, is it ok to hate absolutely all of them just because they belong to that group? I would suggest not, and i had hoped society was moving away from displaying that kind of behaviour.

Edited by WarPig

Penistone999 has referred to every single police officer, which I find quite strange. It kind of invalidates his/her opinions by saying such sweeping statements, but it does give a glimpse into his/her mindset I suppose.

What about people from other employments/organisations/groups/cultures/backgrounds, is it ok to hate absolutely all of them just because they belong to that group? I would suggest not, and i had hoped society was moving away from displaying that kind of behaviour.

Unless SYP have picked a certain type of officer for the tree protests, then one might presume its a reasonable sample of normal policeman. In which case one might worry about how they all behave.

Unless SYP have picked a certain type of officer for the tree protests, then one might presume its a reasonable sample of normal policeman. In which case one might worry about how they all behave.

How can the behaviour of some, be perceived as being representative of all? That suggests narrow mindedness on that persons part.

How can the behaviour of some, be perceived as being representative of all? That suggests narrow mindedness on that persons part.

It could well be if the 30 officers we see at these protests are taken from a wide range of different "units" within the police. If they are all from one close-knit unit, then fair enough you could conclude its one set of bad apples being set on the tree protestors.

Also SYP already had a very poor reputation before this issue came up, so one should not view the attitudes in isolation.

Also SYP already had a very poor reputation before this issue came up, so one should not view the attitudes in isolation.

A reputation of an organisation is one thing, but to include every single individual within is surely extremely narrow minded at best, and prejudiced at worst.

A reputation of an organisation is one thing, but to include every single individual within is surely extremely narrow minded at best, and prejudiced at worst.

I'm sure there are also good apples, but by and large I don't believe the behaviour being seen in these videos is isolated to the specific officers on video.

The NYPD had Serpico in the 1970's, but by and large most of the officers in the precincts he worked in were very corrupt. So I think its clear one can make a general statement, without it applying to every single officer. In that case the chances are, if you had no specific knowledge, a random NYPD officer in those precincts was corrupt, and you would have been wise to assume as such - despite the fact not every single one was corrupt.

Sorry I don't buy that. The kind of thought process demonstrated by Penistone999 would be regarded as racist, sexist, ageist etc if applied to the other certain groups.

Just because you don't like the fact a cop has arrested someone, or the way they have behaved, doesn't automatically mean you can have utter contempt for every single cop. That is extremely immature. If someone didn't like the way that one protestor had behaved, would that automatically make it ok for them to dislike every single protestor? Im pretty amazed this type of thinking is even being defended in this day and age.