Council tree felling...

If CO2 were the only pollutant you'd be absolutely correct. Shame it's not.

Why when it looks and feels much better without trees?

Don't be daft, trees are part of all great City centers except for Sheffield that is.

---------- Post added 23-05-2018 at 12:58 ----------

From what I heard apparently one of the trees had to be removed as it would be damaged during the work, so the council in their infinite wisdom decided all of them had to because they didn't want it to be asymmetrical. :loopy:

I'm sure it will look nice once its done, but look nice and actually be functional in reducing pollution are two very different things.

Perhaps the planners :hihi: will bring back the magnificent Victorian bogs when the great plan comes to fruition ,unless of course they become a sushi bar to cater for the upwardly mobile that are about to claim the area for their own personal use ,as is the norm in OUR? City.

How many birds used to nest in the trees in Fitzalan Square? Come to think of it - how many birds nest in trees planted in the pavement and roadside verges alongside busy streets?

Walked daily for donkeys years along Crookes Valley Road and never seen a bird nesting in a tree near the road - seen loads taking nesting material down into the bushes further down the banks in the Ponderosa or the park by the boating lake.

So birds don't nest in the mature trees on Crookes Valley Road they go into the nearby bushes :huh: I have never seen crows, magpies ,doves , owls ,kestrels etc nest in bushes :roll:

So birds don't nest in the mature trees on Crookes Valley Road they go into the nearby bushes :huh: I have never seen crows, magpies ,doves , owls ,kestrels etc nest in bushes :roll:

Read my post #1815 again.

Apart from the odd magpie up Whirlow about 30 years ago I've never seen any of them nest in trees growing in the pavement or roadside verges on busy streets.

And none in Fitzalan Square.

Just because you haven't seen them nesting, doesn't mean they aren't there.

Plus there are many insects that the birds will eat, less mature trees, less food, less birds.

And who wants to sit in FULL sunshine on a hot day? Better for any seating to be shaded by a nice mature tree, that will also suck up a lot more water during the rain reducing floods.

There is just so much more to mature trees than simply birds nesting.

Edited by AlexAtkin

Guest makapaka
Just because you haven't seen them nesting, doesn't mean they aren't there.

Plus there are many insects that the birds will eat, less mature trees, less food, less birds.

And who wants to sit in FULL sunshine on a hot day? Better for any seating to be shaded by a nice mature tree, that will also suck up a lot more water during the rain reducing floods.

There is just so much more to mature trees than simply birds nesting.

Until 30 years ago those trees weren’t there. They put yourg trees in when they redeveloped the square back then.

Now they are redeveloping the square again - and they’re going to put some more trees in there and you will have 30 more years or more trees than before until it starts again.

These trees were ornamental and are being replaced by ornamental trees - it’s not woodland.

Until 30 years ago those trees weren’t there. They put yourg trees in when they redeveloped the square back then.

Now they are redeveloping the square again - and they’re going to put some more trees in there and you will have 30 more years or more trees than before until it starts again.

These trees were ornamental and are being replaced by ornamental trees - it’s not woodland.

The replacement trees are going to be fastigiate varieties of trees.

They have little ornamental or amenity value.

Guest makapaka

Why don't fastigiate trees have ornamental or amenity value?

It makes sense, as there will be more of them and closer together than the old trees - mainly to provide a screen between the pedestrian and vehicle areas. Clearly we’ll thought out.

Why don't fastigiate trees have ornamental or amenity value?

Little ornamental or amenity value, certainly less than large canopied mature trees.

One of the main contributors to amenity value (which I would imagine is the same as ornamental value?) is the overall size, and the crown size. These (size and crown size) also effect the other ways that amenity value of trees are measured (Co2 reduction, energy conservation, air quality improvements, storm water runoff), some of which are reduced by using small fastigiate varieties of trees.

This is true of the CAVAT, Helliwell and i-Tree methods of analysing tree amenity value.

Guest makapaka
Little ornamental or amenity value, certainly less than large canopied mature trees.

One of the main contributors to amenity value (which I would imagine is the same as ornamental value?) is the overall size, and the crown size. These (size and crown size) also effect the other ways that amenity value of trees are measured (Co2 reduction, energy conservation, air quality improvements, storm water runoff), some of which are reduced by using small fastigiate varieties of trees.

This is true of the CAVAT, Helliwell and i-Tree methods of analysing tree amenity value.

I looked at a report on the internet that said fastigiate trees were the ideal option for small public spaces such as this one as they save space, maintain light and don’t have significant reductions to large canopy trees in terms of environmental benefit - particularly because you tend to plant more of them - as is the case here?