Council tree felling...

Is it the case, are you asking? Haven't you looked at the plans for the redevelopment?

Little ornamental or amenity value, certainly less than large canopied mature trees.

One of the main contributors to amenity value (which I would imagine is the same as ornamental value?) is the overall size, and the crown size. These (size and crown size) also effect the other ways that amenity value of trees are measured (Co2 reduction, energy conservation, air quality improvements, storm water runoff), some of which are reduced by using small fastigiate varieties of trees.

This is true of the CAVAT, Helliwell and i-Tree methods of analysing tree amenity value.

We're not losing any large canopied mature trees in Fitzalan Square.

Guest makapaka
Is it the case, are you asking? Haven't you looked at the plans for the redevelopment?

I was saying that more trees are going back in than have been removed in this case.

Aren't we?

Have you read the tree survey report produced by Sheffield City Council's Tree Manager? In it, they describe the trees as being in early maturity.

They also categorise 3 of the trees as Category A trees (and one as category B) - which are trees of high quality and value, that make a significant contribution to the area.

The introduction describes them thus:

"The current proposals also include the removal of the 4 large Plane trees that are currently a significant feature of the square and replacing them with a number of new plantings."

It seems like the Council's Tree Manager therefore disagrees with you on both counts. I value his opinion, as a professional in this area, above yours.

They've gone now. Just stumps left this morning.

They've gone now. Just stumps left this morning.

Yes. 6am felling a few days back.

Until 30 years ago those trees weren’t there. They put yourg trees in when they redeveloped the square back then.

Now they are redeveloping the square again - and they’re going to put some more trees in there and you will have 30 more years or more trees than before until it starts again.

These trees were ornamental and are being replaced by ornamental trees - it’s not woodland.

Which is entirely irrelevant to the argument that they were providing a vital service to the area that the new trees may not, at least for many years.

When we have a pollution and flooding problem TODAY, we can't simply be thinking about what will help tomorrow at the cost of making things WORSE today.

The wildlife for one thing may take decades to come back, or never will, because they need somewhere to live and breed in the meantime.

I was saying that more trees are going back in than have been removed in this case.

Oh, the question mark at the end confused me into thinking you were asking a question.

Of course quality over quantity is key to environmental/wildlife benefits, which so many people seem to not understand.

You can't simply chop down one mature tree and replace it with even 100 semi-mature trees (especially if they aren't the same species) and get all the same benefits back. Nature doesn't work like that.

That's like firing a rocket scientist and replacing them with 100 clerical officers.

Edited by AlexAtkin

Not anymore :rant:

Guest makapaka
Which is entirely irrelevant to the argument that they were providing a vital service to the area that the new trees may not, at least for many years.

When we have a pollution and flooding problem TODAY, we can't simply be thinking about what will help tomorrow at the cost of making things WORSE today.

The wildlife for one thing may take decades to come back, or never will, because they need somewhere to live and breed in the meantime.

Have you seen Fitzalan Square? What wildlife on those trees were you concerned about?

Don’t tell me that those 4 trees were preventing flooding and hoarding wildlife.

You’re talking like it’s deforestation when it’s just basic town planning with some trees that are probably too big for the size of the square now.

You don’t seem to have any sense of perspective.

Have you seen Fitzalan Square? What wildlife on those trees were you concerned about?

Don’t tell me that those 4 trees were preventing flooding and hoarding wildlife.

You’re talking like it’s deforestation when it’s just basic town planning with some trees that are probably too big for the size of the square now.

You don’t seem to have any sense of perspective.

I dont think they realise that none of the trees on our streets prevent flooding.