Council tree felling...

That's certainly the feeling on the Sheffield Online Facebook page. There's very little support for the protesters, and those that do try and present any view come in for abuse.

Which is why I'm pleased and optimistic to see so much support on here.

Sheffield Online is the spiritual hovel of rejects from Sheffield Chat.

That's certainly the feeling on the Sheffield Online Facebook page. There's very little support for the protesters, and those that do try and present any view come in for abuse.

Which is why I'm pleased and optimistic to see so much support on here.

Facebook with it's targeted news means it's difficult for those that use it to debate and discuss anything. All they get is news aimed at reinforcing their view. Here I feel people actually discuss things, and it's possible for people to bring (and read) different viewpoints.

The problem is of course, is how many use Facebook, and don't recognize all this......they probably even aren't aware of Facebook currently being dragged over the coals for these issues.

EDIT: Just had a brief look, and it seems broadly similar to here, in terms of views to me. Only had a quick look through mind.

Of course, there's the odd intellectual giant, expounding wisdom such as:

"Amazing how ppl of UK will protest and cause more uproar about trees thn wen ther girls are getting raped by grooming gangs and it get covered up"

but you might as well listen to a carpet as pay any heed to that sort of nonsense!

Edited by paula4sheff

And exactly the same would happen if any of them went on the STAG FB page and presented the opposite view.

No they wouldn't get abuse from people on the STAG FB page- the people on that page have an abundance of rational and evidence based arguments to support their stance, which is far more effective than abuse.

No they wouldn't get abuse from people on the STAG FB page- the people on that page have an abundance of rational and evidence based arguments to support their stance, which is far more effective than abuse.

Guffaw!!!!

The instigation of the Great Sheffield Tree Debacle is one thing - the mendacity and dissembling from the current council is entirely another. The instigation of this cannot be changed or undone, but the current council and its cast of liars can be changed, and can be undone.

Give me the serenity etc.

http://www.thenorthernurbanist.co.uk/sheffield-councils-tree-felling-debacle-tells-us-problems-facing-local-government-uk/

Quite so. That's an article that addresses some of the issues facing a council that has signed a PFI deal without fully understanding the consequences of it.

It doesn't address how a council that "clearly doesn’t have the money to pay for something [an expert-driven assessment of how urban trees should be managed] this involved and complex" can still have hundreds of thousands of pounds to fritter away on a useless PR exercise (the independent tree panel), and hundreds of thousands of pounds more for an attempt to jail one of its own councillors (and others) using a £15,000 a day QC.

The arrogance and incompetence of this council is breathtaking and anyone voting Labour in the forthcoming elections is asking for more of the same. I say that as a lifetime left-winger.

Edited by c00kie
Missed link

Guest makapaka
I think Labour is likely to maintain or increase their vote in Sheffield in May. The tree problems will have a negligible impact because most people aren't affected and don't care either way about the leafy suburbs. This is almost entirely a Nether Edge white middle class issue. Ordinary People care more about prices in the shops, jobs and housing than they do about half dozen over sized trees which is what this now boils down to.

Let's hope so.

Let's hope so.

Oh yes. Would be great to continue as we are doing. It's going SO well isn't it?!

Oh yes. Would be great to continue as we are doing. It's going SO well isn't it?!

You think changing a handful of Labour elected reps for those of other parties will make one blind bit of difference?

Labour don't do well in local elections, Tories feel validated and we sign up for another 5 years of austerity.

Rock and a hard place.

Guest makapaka

You obviously don't think so. Are there other reasons other than the Streets Ahead contract?

Who will you be voting for to replace them?

Another tree lopped on Sheldon Road yesterday - theyve left a pollocked version which no doubt they will come back for and remove after the elections ... one less tree to soak up the high traffic pollution on this road and I believe others are targetted next on the same road :-(:confused::mad:

Another tree lopped on Sheldon Road yesterday - theyve left a pollocked version which no doubt they will come back for and remove after the elections ... one less tree to soak up the high traffic pollution on this road and I believe others are targetted next on the same road :-(:confused::mad:

STAG advised tree protestors not to dispute the removal of the tree because it was causing significant structural damage to a property on the road.

The point being, STAG doesn't oppose the felling of trees, it opposes the felling of healthy, mature street trees that aren't dead, dying, diseased, dangerous, discriminatory or damaging. STAG basically opposes the council felling any tree that doesn't fall under the council's own criteria.