Council tree felling...

15 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Nesting season has finished hasn't it, possibly several months ago.

AFAIK the trees came down early June - but always surprised by people expecting loads of birds nesting in trees by roads in Sheffield when birds have several million to choose from - and many nest in bushes rather than trees anyway. Some do - although mainly yearlings having their first go and making mistakes.

18 hours ago, PeteM01 said:

Interesting that the University's contractors managed to remove 20-30 mature trees along Northumberland Road without a peep from anyone. I was surprised that they could do this when birds were likely to be nesting in them.

Apparently new trees are being planted on a two to one basis when the building works are completed. 

To be fair Northumberland Rd has no residential properties who's views/ environment / pollution will be severely affected like Western Rd.. and others. There are a few properties on Marlborough who are not happy, but I think the University will be more considerate than Amey were.

However I hope the building doesn't turn out to be as imposing as the architects make it look in their drawings! It looks like something has landed from outer space.

I am surprised they were allowed to demolish the old victorian 'groundsman's' house on the site.... Back in the late 70's the man who lived there used to chase us off the pitches in the evenings!

21 hours ago, cassiewoofer said:

To be fair Northumberland Rd has no residential properties who's views/ environment / pollution will be severely affected like Western Rd.. and others. There are a few properties on Marlborough who are not happy, but I think the University will be more considerate than Amey were.

However I hope the building doesn't turn out to be as imposing as the architects make it look in their drawings! It looks like something has landed from outer space.

I am surprised they were allowed to demolish the old victorian 'groundsman's' house on the site.... Back in the late 70's the man who lived there used to chase us off the pitches in the evenings!

A lot of people walk to work/university along Northumberland Road during the week, so pollution is an issue. However, the trees were probably too high up on the bank to have mcuh of an effect at ground level?

21 hours ago, Robin-H said:

Apparently new trees are being planted on a two to one basis when the building works are completed. 

Presumably, like Amey, they will use much smaller varieties of trees for the replacements?

35 minutes ago, PeteM01 said:

A lot of people walk to work/university along Northumberland Road during the week, so pollution is an issue. However, the trees were probably too high up on the bank to have mcuh of an effect at ground level?

Presumably, like Amey, they will use much smaller varieties of trees for the replacements?

Well two small variety replacements are twice as good as one small variety replacement, but I’m not actually sure what species the replacements will be - the original planning application for the development’s landscaping works might have some information on what species they’d originally planned on planting around the site. 

I’m aware demolishing the villa and so presumably felling the nearby trees wasn’t part of the original application however. 

2 hours ago, Robin-H said:

Well two small variety replacements are twice as good as one small variety replacement, but I’m not actually sure what species the replacements will be - the original planning application for the development’s landscaping works might have some information on what species they’d originally planned on planting around the site. 

I’m aware demolishing the villa and so presumably felling the nearby trees wasn’t part of the original application however. 

I imagine everything changed when they found all that stuff from the former dam just under the surface.

Edited by PeteM01
Corrected factually

The Council has just published a report for Cabinet concerning the 309 street trees that remained to be felled during the Core Period of the Amey contract, at the time a moratorium on felling started back in March 2018.

Of these, 218 have been investigated so far, and of those, 191 can be retained with standard solutions, 26 with bespoke solutions, and 1 can't be fixed.

These are all trees that SCC told the High Court (with a straight face) were to felled as a last resort as they couldn't be saved.

They should be called back before the judge for lying, isn't that perjury.

1 hour ago, Cyclone said:

They should be called back before the judge for lying, isn't that perjury.

Perjury is hard to prove. The guy testifying will just say that he accepted the Arbs' report in good faith, and if the Arbs got it wrong, well they weren't the ones testifying.

1 hour ago, dave_the_m said:

Perjury is hard to prove. The guy testifying will just say that he accepted the Arbs' report in good faith, and if the Arbs got it wrong, well they weren't the ones testifying.

Or they will just point blank refuse they said it! 

1 hour ago, lil-minx92 said:

Or they will just point blank refuse they said it! 

It's on court record, they can claim they didn't say it all they want, but that's just perjuring themselves further.

Just now, Cyclone said:

It's on court record, they can claim they didn't say it all they want, but that's just perjuring themselves further.

I know but they have a habit of lying & denying even in the face of facts