Council tree felling...

The Lib Dem’s are a joke.

And Sheffield Council of course are doing fantastically, and are in no way a joke?!

Care to expand on what they've said that is in anyway untrue or 'comedic' in that article?

Hard to disagree with all of that.

I was at a wedding recently, and said I was from Sheffield. I was asked about "why the hell the council are cutting down trees and trying to lock people up" a few times. I was surprised how many people knew about it, from various parts of the UK - all people seem to know when you mention you come from Sheffile d- "oh, the city that hates trees".

Needless to say, none of them had a good impression of Sheffield as a result!

Driving my Mum and Dad from the Kenwood on Boxing day.

Isn't this the place they are cutting down all the trees?...yes Dad that's what the news says....err but its full of trees, there everywhere.

My Dad stating the obvious

So I explained it wasn't the full 4.5 million trees as we drove up Abbey Lane through the woods

Any chance the organ grinders controlling you could consider the points in the article ? Or is the knee jerk all they have left :)

The city council is now famous for trying to lock its citizens up and chop down trees. Or do you not agree with that either?

https://www.constructionnews.co.uk/best-practice/legal/amey-ordered-to-pay-54m-to-birmingham-council/10032041.article

Amey has been instructed to pay Birmingham City Council £54m following an adjudication decision over road maintenance work.

Adjudicator Andrew Goddard QC found in favour of the council’s claim that it had overpaid Amey Birmingham Highways for road maintenance work the contractor had not carried out.

The council argued that the monthly fees it had paid Amey Birmingham Highways were made on the basis that certain milestones were hit.

Having stated that these milestones were not hit, the council claimed it was entitled to repayment of the fees.

Sound familiar? Milestones not being hit in a road maintenance contract?

Of course maka will argue that the contract probably allows for the deadlines in the contract to be completely ignored if Amey wish, but those clauses will of course be hidden in the redacted sections...

I'm concerned Makapaka. Are you OK because you're usually quick to respond?

If only the Labour administration & the SCC officials like Mothersole, were as forceful in their actions with those they enter into contracts with as they are against citizens of Sheffield, we might get something done. Hammersons springs to mind.

It was clear that the judge, in forcing Julie Dore to state her support for prosecuting Sheffield's citizens, would have thrown the case out of court otherwise.

Hard to disagree with all of that.

I was at a wedding recently, and said I was from Sheffield. I was asked about "why the hell the council are cutting down trees and trying to lock people up" a few times. I was surprised how many people knew about it, from various parts of the UK - all people seem to know when you mention you come from Sheffile d- "oh, the city that hates trees".

Needless to say, none of them had a good impression of Sheffield as a result!

I was at the Royal Opera House of all places last weekend and got chatting to a Canadian woman during the interval, when I said I lived in Sheffield the only thing she knew about the place was the tree saga.

Driving my Mum and Dad from the Kenwood on Boxing day.

Isn't this the place they are cutting down all the trees?...yes Dad that's what the news says....err but its full of trees, there everywhere.

My Dad stating the obvious

So I explained it wasn't the full 4.5 million trees as we drove up Abbey Lane through the woods

I think that most people outside Sheffield (and quite a few in the city) don't understand that "street trees" are only those growing in the pavement and roadside verges - less than 1% of the trees in the city.

Couple of examples from a very quick google;

The Guardian gets it wrong;

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/mar/26/sheffield-council-pauses-tree-felling-scheme-after-criticism

This month a freedom of information request revealed that the council’s PFI deal specifies that up to 17,500 trees – half the city’s 36,000 trees – could be felled as part of the work to maintain the roads and pavements.

And dear old Jarvis Cocker;

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/feb/25/for-the-chop-the-battle-to-save-sheffields-trees

And it’s a bond felt by Jarvis Cocker, who has declared his favourite tree to be a “bowl-cut” weeping beech in Endcliffe Park – a familiar sight to many from the city – because “it looks like bad hair”.

Edited by Longcol

I think that most people outside Sheffield (and quite a few in the city) don't understand that "street trees" are only those growing in the pavement and roadside verges - less than 1% of the trees in the city.

Couple of examples from a very quick google;

The Guardian gets it wrong;

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/mar/26/sheffield-council-pauses-tree-felling-scheme-after-criticism

This month a freedom of information request revealed that the council’s PFI deal specifies that up to 17,500 trees – half the city’s 36,000 trees – could be felled as part of the work to maintain the roads and pavements.

And dear old Jarvis Cocker;

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/feb/25/for-the-chop-the-battle-to-save-sheffields-trees

And it’s a bond felt by Jarvis Cocker, who has declared his favourite tree to be a “bowl-cut” weeping beech in Endcliffe Park – a familiar sight to many from the city – because “it looks like bad hair”.

I don't know what that Jarvis quote is meant to prove? The article isn't claiming that that willow by Endcliffe Park is threatened with being felled, nor does it suggest that Jarvis thinks that it is.

He is merely saying what is favourite tree in Sheffield is, and that he disagrees with the unnecessary felling of roadside trees.

Guest makapaka
I'm concerned Makapaka. Are you OK because you're usually quick to respond?

If only the Labour administration & the SCC officials like Mothersole, were as forceful in their actions with those they enter into contracts with as they are against citizens of Sheffield, we might get something done. Hammersons springs to mind.

It was clear that the judge, in forcing Julie Dore to state her support for prosecuting Sheffield's citizens, would have thrown the case out of court otherwise.

I think the Liberal Democrat’s are trying to score political points for a project they largely negotiated. They have now rolled out Paul scriven (who was voted out of council) to start it.

Paul scriven is now an unelected Lord who sees fit to suggest he could resolve an issue he started - without any mandate.

As such he’s passed that responsibility onto shafiq who is going to sort it all out by talking to people. Maybe the Lib Dem’s should have done all this research before starting negotiations with amey about removing street trees.

This is a bit like someone starting a war, then coming back as peace keepers.

They are a decimated party who are trying to score points off labours pr disaster that is the streets ahead scheme.

I think the Liberal Democrat’s are trying to score political points for a project they largely negotiated. They have now rolled out Paul scriven (who was voted out of council) to start it.

Paul scriven is now an unelected Lord who sees fit to suggest he could resolve an issue he started - without any mandate.

As such he’s passed that responsibility onto shafiq who is going to sort it all out by talking to people. Maybe the Lib Dem’s should have done all this research before starting negotiations with amey about removing street trees.

This is a bit like someone starting a war, then coming back as peace keepers.

They are a decimated party who are trying to score points off labours pr disaster that is the streets ahead scheme.

Please tell us more about Labours PR disaster :)

Guest makapaka
Please tell us more about Labours PR disaster :)

They don’t counter arguments properly.