Council tree felling...

What a weird attitude. To hell with the rest of the city if the roads around you are ok hey?

I hear Fred West was a charming guy for those who "took him as they saw him". You'd have liked him - could have ignored all the other stuff.

Some of us prefer to look a little further than the end of our streets for how things are going.

Hmm ... talking of weird attitude .....

"Scandals which people don't care about like Hillsborough, offshore tax evasion or blood money in the London property market? "

Ok then.

---------- Post added 17-05-2018 at 12:35 ----------

Sorry - quick edit - Hillsborough, offshore tax evasion, blood money and Fred West............

I'm not sure I get your point. I believe all of these are major scandals- and that people's awareness, or level of caring about them is irrelevant. People don't care/know about what's happening in Eritrea. It's still a scandal, even if Joe from Darnall doesn't give a damn one way or the other.

Anyway, let's not go down this route, as I'm sure you're aware that I'm using these as random examples of scandals.

On a related note though- I bet if you spoke to people there would STILL be a significant amount of people who still believe the fans were to blame at Hillsborough, because they bought that particular brand pack of lies. And a lot who don't care one way or the other. Sad but true. But that's for another thread.

---------- Post added 17-05-2018 at 12:40 ----------

Hmm ... talking of weird attitude .....

How is it weird to care what's going on beyond my immediate visual world?!

Guest makapaka
I'm not sure I get your point. I believe all of these are major scandals- and that people's awareness, or level of caring about them is irrelevant. People don't care/know about what's happening in Eritrea. It's still a scandal, even if Joe from Darnall doesn't give a damn one way or the other.

Anyway, let's not go down this route, as I'm sure you're aware that I'm using these as random examples of scandals.

On a related note though- I bet if you spoke to people there would STILL be a significant amount of people who still believe the fans were to blame at Hillsborough, because they bought that particular brand pack of lies. And a lot who don't care one way or the other. Sad but true. But that's for another thread.

---------- Post added 17-05-2018 at 12:40 ----------

It is relevant in the sense of ascertaining the size of the “ scandal” though isn’t it? That’s the pout the other poster was making.

It might be a scandal to me if our neighbor runs off with the milkman but I’m aware that lots of other people wouldn’t care less.

If my neighbours husband subsequently murders the milkman with an empty milk bottle it would be a scandal that far more people would be interested in.

I think that’s the point they were making.

It is relevant in the sense of ascertaining the size of the “ scandal” though isn’t it? That’s the pout the other poster was making.

It might be a scandal to me if our neighbor runs off with the milkman but I’m aware that lots of other people wouldn’t care less.

If my neighbours husband subsequently murders the milkman with an empty milk bottle it would be a scandal that far more people would be interested in.

I think that’s the point they were making.

Ok - I see that point.

The assumption that things don't matter though because people don't care is obviously totally wrong, which I think was his/her point. That it was all OK, and wasn't a scandal at all because the vast majority of people in Sheffield didn't care/know about it.

Take as I see - roads and pavements around mine are immeasurably better and every tree I've seen removed has been replaced - hopefully my daughter and future generations will enjoy them.

What you talking about? It’s not about the trees anymore! Is it?

I see the tree felling by early morning stealth , has started again . This morning the four Plane trees in Fitzalen Square were felled at 6 am .

I see the tree felling by early morning stealth , has started again . This morning the four Plane trees in Fitzalen Square were felled at 6 am .

Gosh - makapaka gets about :)

Gosh - makapaka gets about :)

He will tell us ,it was a righteous chop :roll:

No more will we be able to sit in in the tranquil shade watching the World go by in Fitzalen Square.

Isnt the whole square being done up? Seems fair enough to me.

It seems like Sheffield Council deliberately do the opposite of whatever is considered best practice when it comes to trees. It is a shame, as I think the grey to green scheme is excellent, and shows that the council can do nice public realm, but for some reason when trees are involved they put their blinkers on.

Best practice advice recommends large canopy trees in public realm, as these create the sorts of the environments that people enjoy staying in, that provide shade, shelter and visual interest.

Sheffield City council is systematically replacing the (very few) mature trees in the city centre with fastigiate varieties of trees, which have almost no canopy what-so-ever.

Edited by Robin-H

No more will we be able to sit in in the tranquil shade watching the World go by in Fitzalen Square.

I agree. Where am I going to go to sip my White Ace?