Council tree felling...

I thought the debate and discussion had moved on. It's quite obviously about so much more than trees, and a few hundred people, as reading any of the huge amount of articles and information written on the subject, across many news outlets, shows.

im thinking amey have slowed or perhaps even stopped their assault on the trees of sheffield not because they have given in... far from it

i reckon its tactics .. more of a case of leave it for a year or two and then start again... then it will be ..Oh no not that old tree thing again let em chop the lot down and lets have an end to it.

or maybe its ..... let the shoddy road repairs issue take the spotlights for a bit and we will be able to chop down anything we want with hardly a breath of protest being heard.

iv'e complained to the council about amey and their practices to no avail but how many others have percieved them for what they apparently are and done nothing

and don't get me wrong some of their employees are seemingly fine and decent people it is the company its modus operandi and its apparent ethos that i object to and of course that the council has not yet sent them packing

I think it's far more simple than that- the local elections are coming. It's a cynical attempt to manage what's turned into a hugely negative news story.

Even local Labour MPs have condemned a Labour controlled council. Suspending it in the hope that voters have short memories, and that focus is shifted from the larger issues is damage limitation.

I thought the debate and discussion had moved on. It's quite obviously about so much more than trees, and a few hundred people, as reading any of the huge amount of articles and information written on the subject, across many news outlets, shows.

The fact that some people aren't bothering to read the full story doesn't make it any less true - and the old '"it's just a few protesters, they should let them get on with it" line that's reeled out by people who haven't investigated the wider issue is just either trolling, or a willful attempt not to engage with the broader debate.

---------- Post added 09-04-2018 at 13:36 ----------

Happy with Amey's practices then, and the way they're using your money?

So is it about the trees or Amey/SCC?.

You appear to be wasting our money.

So is it about the trees or Amey/SCC?.

Well it's quite clearly about all three, seeing as it's Amey and SCC who are doing it. If you're not aware of that, I'm not too sure how a discussion can be had!

Not entirely sure how I'm wasting your money.....

Edited by paula4sheff

So is it about the trees or Amey/SCC?..

I think the trees thing is about two things...

amey cashing in big time

this is my perception it may not be accurate it is a perception

remove tree ...get paid

sell wood ...get paid

remove roots ..get paid

repair damage to road ...get paid

repair washes away ...get paid again

supply and plant new trees ... get paid

allow some of new trees to die from lack of water replace them ..get paid

start watering new trees weekly... get paid

continue to pretend to water new trees.... still get paid

let new trees flourish and prune.... get paid

let new trees get big and manage (perhaps manufacture) complaints... get paid

remove tree ...get paid rinse and repeat ad infinitum

its totally conceivable license to print money and make some europeans a lot of money ...spaniards I think ...maybe were are holding up their economy for them

and the second thing its about

btw this also my perception of events

amey meets resistance from residents to to tree felling

the SCC starts involving the legal process

most of these residents complaining that can afford legal representation will be middle class or above.

the SCC has a bigger legal budget ...and some allege they control the judges. i have no thoughts on the convenience of this

the resistance spends a lot of money

the SCC win

the SCC objective was never tree management

the SCC has taught the residents that they can't fight city hall

and next time on the next issue the residents wont be able to afford to fight city hall

like i say its only my perception i'm probably way out ..... or am i ?

He never said who is wasting who's money or how

amey cashing in big time

A private company trying to make as much money as possible, is that really a surprise?

Also its a PFI contract, they get paid whatever they do, its just more cost effective to remove the trees to reduce maintenance etc.

I dont understand all the hatred for Amey, they are just doing their job, as decided by SCC, SCC are pulling to strings, Amey are just delivering the bad news.

A private company trying to make as much money as possible, is that really a surprise?

Also its a PFI contract, they get paid whatever they do, its just more cost effective to remove the trees to reduce maintenance etc.

I dont understand all the hatred for Amey, they are just doing their job, as decided by SCC, SCC are pulling to strings, Amey are just delivering the bad news.

I don't understand why anyone wouldn't hate them, given what we know about them. They seem reprehensible, and a company nobody should want dealings with.

I don't understand why anyone wouldn't hate them, given what we know about them. They seem reprehensible, and a company nobody should want dealings with.

They are a massive multinational, a few disputes are pretty standard. Im sure i could google positive news stories about Amey and find plenty.

Its their job to do something which is unpopular. Like the closing of a hospital or the building of an incinerator the contractor always gets bad press.

Edited by the fonz

I certainly don't hate them, on the whole I think Amey do a good job. No doubt once nesting season is over things will continue

They are a massive multinational, a few disputes are pretty standard. Its their job to do something which is unpopular. Like the closing of a hospital or the building of an incinerator the contractor always gets bad press.

So unpopular that councils take them to court, desperate to get out of a contract because the work is so bad?

Have a read about Amey's corporate history, and the state of their contracts across the country. I think it may open your eyes. You can start here: http://www.private-eye.co.uk/rotten-boroughs

---------- Post added 09-04-2018 at 16:13 ----------

I certainly don't hate them, on the whole I think Amey do a good job. No doubt once nesting season is over things will continue

Birmingham, Liverpool and Slough councils are among the many that disagree with you, and have been happy to put their public first in order to sever ties with them. I imagine Sheffield are too - (hardly going well is it?!) but don't have the strength to admit it. Yet. They've certainly hinted very heavily at it. Their hands are tied though.

Edited by paula4sheff

So unpopular that councils take them to court, desperate to get out of a contract because the work is so bad?

So unpopular that they never win any work, oh wait.....

Please dont make me google and then copy links to all their success story's

All im saying is that whoever was carrying out the tree felling would be unpopular.

Guest makapaka

Have a read about Amey's corporate history, and the state of their contracts across the country. I think it may open your eyes. You can start here: http://www.private-eye.co.uk/rotten-boroughs

---------- Post added 09-04-2018 at 16:13 ----------

Birmingham, Liverpool and Slough councils are among the many that disagree with you, and have been happy to put their public first in order to sever ties with them. I imagine Sheffield are too - (hardly going well is it?!) but don't have the strength to admit it. Yet. They've certainly hinted very heavily at it. Their hands are tied though.

The construction index is reporting that Amey have just started a new contract with Birmingham city council to construct a new cycle path;

https://www.theconstructionindex.co.uk/news/view/amey-starts-54m-birmingham-cycle-path