Council tree felling...

5 minutes ago, peak4 said:

There's no mention on the STAG Facebook group about it.
Some cherries do only live 60 or so years, so I wonder if it was an emergency safety felling.
That said, the council do normally tell STAG

They know about it .  But have not investigated for some reason .

3 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Yes that’s right. They wouldn’t do something like this without reason . :rolleyes:

I've asked on STAG, so see if anyone there knows.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Yes that’s right. They wouldn’t do something like this without reason . :rolleyes:

The tree was healthy , Three more are still standing getting ready to blossom at the end of the month or April as they have done for 60 years

1 hour ago, cuttsie said:

On Council land ,   its a little alcove of land that looks brilliant when the Cherry trees all flower in spring ,

Street tree, or on other land?

The council no longer fell street trees (unless dangerous) without consultation and passing controversial ones to the Street Tree Partnership for comment so I doubt it would be them in that case.

If it is non-street tree land and owned by the council that is strange - somebody should know at the council and if not there's potentially a crime been committed so they should take an interest.

• Like 2

I did get a reply, and unless this is a second tree, they have it listed as on Prestwood Gardens, not Bevan Way; it  looks like it was at least a week ago.
Confirmed as an illegal felling, with the police informed, and someone apparently doing a letter drop

Not a street tree, so maybe Sheffield Housing.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, peak4 said:

I did get a reply, and unless this is a second tree, they have it listed as on Prestwood Gardens, not Bevan Way; it  looks like it was at least a week ago.
Confirmed as an illegal felling, with the police informed, and someone apparently doing a letter drop

Glad it has been reported.

Often with these type trees people dislike them due to the blossom/leaves dropping onto their garden/path/driveway, etc. It's amazing how many suddenly disappear or get vandalised to the point of death for temporary cosmetic reasons on property (especially when they are cosmetically beautiful when in bloom or full leaf). I've had to report similar myself in the past. Fortunately, that tree was replaced by the council after being killed; sadly, it was with a different species (but, to be fair, a more native and resilient one).

• Like 2

The 4ft stump is still sticking there ,,  The Council say they do not leave a tree felling like that ,

I suppose that the Council will have to clear the mess up ,  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, peak4 said:

It is Prestwood Gardens ,  Adjacent to Bevan Way 

Two people taking Photo's of the remaining stump yesterday . Lots of notes being written on a pad , maybe some one is taking the situation seriously at last .

• Like 1

Has the United Nations and NATO been informed?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, prince al said:

Has the United Nations and NATO been informed?

Don't forget the environmental impact of street trees on house prices.