Council tree felling...

10 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

Its the inconsistency which bothers me more.  These trees on Beaver Hill Road are never tended to, their roots are pushing the bricks out of the wall, and frequently drop huge branches onto the road.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3608823,-1.366778,3a,75y,288.49h,104.84t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sH9XNP3dEDUakUMugM4E5sA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

They’re in a grave yard. They’re not street trees. 

Edit: not technically street trees, in that they would be outside of the contract with Amey. 

Edited by Robin-H

15 hours ago, Robin-H said:

Funny how trees can suddenly appear that weren't there when people purchased their homes... 

I have lived in our house since childhood, I did not choose it. But back then the trees were properly maintained, I can remember the Council pruned them every Spring. 

6 minutes ago, Angela P said:

I have lived in our house since childhood, I did not choose it. But back then the trees were properly maintained, I can remember the Council pruned them every Spring. 

I agree that trees need to be properly maintained. 

12 hours ago, Robin-H said:

They’re in a grave yard. They’re not street trees. 

Edit: not technically street trees, in that they would be outside of the contract with Amey. 

Like many thousands of trees in the city within a few yards of the road that aren't "street trees" -  but still have pretty much the same effect on the environment as trees in the pavement and roadside verges.

47 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Like many thousands of trees in the city within a few yards of the road that aren't "street trees" -  but still have pretty much the same effect on the environment as trees in the pavement and roadside verges.

And? Who has said street trees have a different environmental impact to trees a few yards from streets?

The important difference is that healthy street trees were being unnecessary and systematically  felled to increase the profit margins of Amey, whereas the other trees weren’t.. 

21 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

And? Who has said street trees have a different environmental impact to trees a few yards from streets?

The important difference is that healthy street trees were being unnecessary and systematically  felled to increase the profit margins of Amey, whereas the other trees weren’t.. 

So felling "street trees" didn't have the disastrous environmental effect on Sheffield streets that was claimed by STAG and friends?

Edited by Longcol

12 hours ago, Longcol said:

So felling "street trees" didn't have the disastrous environmental effect on Sheffield streets that was claimed by STAG and friends?

Felling any tree has an environmental impact... 

Saying that felling non streets trees has the same environmental impact as felling street trees is clearly not the same as saying it doesn’t have any environment impact. 

Take a walk down Meersbrook Park Road and you'll find at least 3 trees that need felling. The roots of these trees have raised the pavement to a dangerous level. Anyone with a mobility or eyesight problem, or a parent with a double buggy have difficulty negotiating the area, they have to go on the road.

I think a broken hip or leg has a bigger environmental impact than a tree that obviously needs removing.

Roots are the most common misconception about Sheffield street trees. When people see a raised/cracked pavement tarmac, they assume the roots are at or above surface level. In fact, the roots are usually 6" or more below the surface level and what you are seeing is in fact layer upon layer of tarmac built-up over the decades of repeated temporary repairs to cracked tarmac.

When Amey finally remove all the tarmac, they've found that sometimes the layers are  foot thick. Uncompacting the soil above the root and putting down new tarmac usually results in a smooth, level pavement. This has turned out to be the case for nearly every tree which Amey wanted to fell because it was "damaging" the pavement. You'll find exactly the same once MPR's pavements are repaired and resurfaced.

The Yorkshire Post are calling for an enquiry into the whole matter. 

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/opinion/columnists/sheffield-trees-scandal-now-demands-public-inquiry-yorkshire-post-says-3005916

"In a devastating rebuke, the Labour-led authority was told to apologise to the people of Sheffield for its actions, which it has done, and now has three months to explain how it will make amends." 

Edited by Baron99

8 hours ago, Robin-H said:

Felling any tree has an environmental impact... 

Saying that felling non streets trees has the same environmental impact as felling street trees is clearly not the same as saying it doesn’t have any environment impact. 

But how many in a city with 4.5 million trees does it take to have any noticeable environmental impact?

5 hours ago, dave_the_m said:

Roots are the most common misconception about Sheffield street trees. When people see a raised/cracked pavement tarmac, they assume the roots are at or above surface level. In fact, the roots are usually 6" or more below the surface level and what you are seeing is in fact layer upon layer of tarmac built-up over the decades of repeated temporary repairs to cracked tarmac.

When Amey finally remove all the tarmac, they've found that sometimes the layers are  foot thick. Uncompacting the soil above the root and putting down new tarmac usually results in a smooth, level pavement. This has turned out to be the case for nearly every tree which Amey wanted to fell because it was "damaging" the pavement. You'll find exactly the same once MPR's pavements are repaired and resurfaced.

For how long - assuming the tree, and therefore the roots, continues to grow.

1 hour ago, Longcol said:

For how long - assuming the tree, and therefore the roots, continues to grow.

For a long time. The mature trees don't grow nearly as fast as saplings, and once the ground above the root has been uncompacted a bit (e.g. with a bit of sand), there is enough "give" for the root to grow further without cracking the tarmac above.

1 hour ago, Longcol said:

But how many in a city with 4.5 million trees does it take to have any noticeable environmental impact?

The main reason the fellings have been opposed has always been that streets with mature trees make a pleasant environment to live in/near, rather than how much CO2 they absorb or not. While there are millions of trees in places like Ecclesall Woods and further out, there are a very limited number of street trees (approx 18,000), and they take many decades to become fully mature.