Council tree felling...

They pressured the police in to making arrests and publicly defended the action at the time.

They should publicly admit that they were wrong and apologise and it's a shame that they can't be prosecuted for something...  Perhaps corruption in public office.

10 hours ago, makapaka said:

Those people didn’t arrest anybody did they.

what do you expect them to do? Hand themselves in at the police station?

It wasn't Constable Plod who came up with the wheeze to use Trade Union Legislation against peaceful protestors, it was the council's legal team, directed by Dore & Co. 

Guest makapaka
4 hours ago, Cyclone said:

They pressured the police in to making arrests and publicly defended the action at the time.

They should publicly admit that they were wrong and apologise and it's a shame that they can't be prosecuted for something...  Perhaps corruption in public office.

I don't believe the police arrested people because of pressure from the council.

I'm not suggesting the arrests were correct as they've been proven to be wrong - I don't think that the council made them do it though.

21 hours ago, makapaka said:

I don't believe the police arrested people because of pressure from the council.

I'm not suggesting the arrests were correct as they've been proven to be wrong - I don't think that the council made them do it though.

Aren't we forgetting the surreptitious, operational planning meetings between SCC, Amey & SYP?  The early morning, 5:00m wake up calls to homes in Rustlings Rd;  the arrests of now innocent protesters stood in gardens (private property); the agreement to publish the findings of the Tree Panel report MINUTES BEFORE the dawn operation. 

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/secret-plan-to-remove-rustlings-road-trees-made-by-sheffield-council-and-police-one-month-before-raid-1-8279010/amp 

All sounds very much hand in glove with each other?

23 hours ago, makapaka said:

I think it was fairly well established that the police were asking at the councils request.  If the council hadn't asked for them then the police wouldn't have been there at all.

On the morning of the first arrest, the Amey workers knew in advance that protesters were going to be arrested. This had all been arranged behind closed doors between SYP, SCC and Amey.

In the later large-scale policing operations, according to the seating plan the police control centre had desk spaces allocated for:

SYP media

Despatcher [sic]

Silver POD

PLT Coordinator

SCC/Media

Servoca [private security]

Amey/SCC

Not only were SCC there, but SCC *media* were there. And when protesters complained of being assaulted by security, a representative of the security company was there in the control room to assure SYP that all was well.  A bit like having an EDL representative in the control room when policing an EDL march.

Guest makapaka
6 hours ago, dave_the_m said:

On the morning of the first arrest, the Amey workers knew in advance that protesters were going to be arrested. This had all been arranged behind closed doors between SYP, SCC and Amey.

In the later large-scale policing operations, according to the seating plan the police control centre had desk spaces allocated for:

SYP media

Despatcher [sic]

Silver POD

PLT Coordinator

SCC/Media

Servoca [private security]

Amey/SCC

Not only were SCC there, but SCC *media* were there. And when protesters complained of being assaulted by security, a representative of the security company was there in the control room to assure SYP that all was well.  A bit like having an EDL representative in the control room when policing an EDL march.

Has every protestor that was arrested been found to have been wrongly arrested?

19 minutes ago, makapaka said:

Those who took it to court all the way yes...some couldn't be bothered or didn't have the time.

Do you think it was right for the police to arrest someone for tooting a musical instrument? It's just bizarre that plod would think that worthy of arrest.

Guest makapaka
22 minutes ago, taxman said:

Those who took it to court all the way yes...some couldn't be bothered or didn't have the time.

Do you think it was right for the police to arrest someone for tooting a musical instrument? It's just bizarre that plod would think that worthy of arrest.

No I don’t.

9 hours ago, makapaka said:

You spent hours and pages defending the council constantly over the entire tree cutting disaster.  The tree cutting has stopped, people have been found to have been wrongfully arrested, but still you're defending the council.

The council through incompetence and then cowardice enabled and abetted Amey in creating and prolonging this entire sorry story.

Guest makapaka
37 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

You spent hours and pages defending the council constantly over the entire tree cutting disaster.  The tree cutting has stopped, people have been found to have been wrongfully arrested, but still you're defending the council.

The council through incompetence and then cowardice enabled and abetted Amey in creating and prolonging this entire sorry story.

We were discussing the police not the council.

You were denying that the council pressured the police into acting and then attempting to refocus the discussion on the police rather than the council.