Council tree felling...

Why when it looks and feels much better without trees?

I'll have a look at lunch time, but I doubt that it does.

That could have been done whilst retaining the trees of course.

From what I heard apparently one of the trees had to be removed as it would be damaged during the work, so the council in their infinite wisdom decided all of them had to because they didn't want it to be asymmetrical. :loopy:

I'm sure it will look nice once its done, but look nice and actually be functional in reducing pollution are two very different things.

Guest makapaka
From what I heard apparently one of the trees had to be removed as it would be damaged during the work, so the council in their infinite wisdom decided all of them had to because they didn't want it to be asymmetrical. :loopy:

I'm sure it will look nice once its done, but look nice and actually be functional in reducing pollution are two very different things.

This is what it wil look like:

https://www.insidermedia.com/insider/yorkshire/new-masterplan-for-sheffields-fitzalan-square

They’re putting more trees back than were there in the first place.

This is what it wil look like:

https://www.insidermedia.com/insider/yorkshire/new-masterplan-for-sheffields-fitzalan-square

They’re putting more trees back than were there in the first place.

More saplings that will never grow like the ones butchered . They will not be big enough for nesting birds and wildlife

Guest makapaka
More saplings that will never grow like the ones butchered . They will not be big enough for nesting birds and wildlife

In Fitzalan Square?!

All trees grow hackey mate - the ones they cut down weren’t planted 10ft high.

In Fitzalan Square?!

Seriously ? , You mock what I say but you know nothing :loopy: The trees in Fitzalan Square were mature trees that provided plenty of cover for nesting birds , bats and insects . The trees they are replacing them with will NEVER grow to the same standard , they are purely ornamental . That's what you miss out on this whole thread . Please come back and tell me im wrong and the council are right . Please

Guest makapaka
Seriously ? , You mock what I say but you know nothing :loopy: The trees in Fitzalan Square were mature trees that provided plenty of cover for nesting birds , bats and insects . The trees they are replacing them with will NEVER grow to the same standard , they are purely ornamental . That's what you miss out on this whole thread . Please come back and tell me im wrong and the council are right . Please

I’m not saying anyone’s right - I just don’t think the Fitzalan Square thing should be about the trees.

It’s run down and grim and the plans look great to open it up. It’s nothing to do with the streets ahead scheme and if that wasn’t happening everyone would have been positive about the redevelopment.

Why do we want huge trees in Fitzalan Square?

How many birds used to nest in the trees in Fitzalan Square? Come to think of it - how many birds nest in trees planted in the pavement and roadside verges alongside busy streets?

Walked daily for donkeys years along Crookes Valley Road and never seen a bird nesting in a tree near the road - seen loads taking nesting material down into the bushes further down the banks in the Ponderosa or the park by the boating lake.

In Fitzalan Square?!

True. I seem to recall that they were about 20 feet high when they were put in in the 90's.

Guest makapaka
True. I seem to recall that they were about 20 feet high when they were put in in the 90's.

These ones?

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s23919&pos=2&action=zoom

That look a lot like these ones?

Except there’s more on the new plan.

Edited by makapaka

Yes those ones. Well found, my memory seems to be intact.

According to Drax who are now using wood pellets from USA ,saplings absorb more carbon than mature trees ,so this will be great for anti pollution!