Council tree felling...

Maybe prior to the local elections in May, we should remind our sitting councillors of a quote from Jeremy Corbyn. "The only thing which changes a politician's behaviour is something that threatens their ability to get re-elected."

Absolutely.

I also think we should remind ourselves of that statement when we go to vote...

Found the following letter on The Star's website, clearly from a local resident.

"The Star published a letter of mine a few months ago, highlighting the fact that Amey had not completed scheduled tree felling and road and pavement resurfacing on Sandford Grove Road and neighbouring Gatefield Road, in Nether Edge.

The first part of road and pavement resurfacing started well over a year ago and is no nearer completion.

The point of my previous letter was concerned with statements Coun Bryan Lodge made last year. Coun Lodge was quoted in The Star, saying that if the tree felling programme was not completed by the end of 2017 then Sheffield City Council (SCC) could be required to pay financial penalties to Amey. Scheduled work on Sandford Grove Road and Gatefield Road was indicated on boards put up by Amey/SCC for June/July; October/November and since my previous letter, December and twice in January (8 and 22). At no point has any work been carried out or any workers seen in the vicinity.

I offer Coun Lodge the opportunity to write a letter to The Star and clarify whether Sheffield council taxpayers will be liable for any financial penalties.

I highlighted in my previous letter that it couldn’t have been the winter weather that delayed the December scheduled work as at the same time, Amey workers were felling trees on Abbeydale Park Rise from 4.30am.

Perhaps Amey’s operations director, Darren Butt can also let Sheffielders know why work isn’t being carried out as scheduled.

James Fenner."

I'd say good luck to anyone trying to get a straight answer from Coun. Bryan Lodge or anyone from Amey

This is very much worth signing as it might actually stay a much needed debate over what is otherwise a secret pfi corporate take over of the council and our streets https://www.change.org/p/petition-to-rescind-the-streets-ahead-pfi-contract-with-amey-hallam-highways-ltd?recruiter=403923024&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition

This is very much worth signing as it might actually stay a much needed debate over what is otherwise a secret pfi corporate take over of the council and our streets https://www.change.org/p/petition-to-rescind-the-streets-ahead-pfi-contract-with-amey-hallam-highways-ltd?recruiter=403923024&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition

Signed. SCC seem to think they are a law unto themselves, and forget they are public servants, paid to serve the people of Sheffield

Signed. SCC seem to think they are a law unto themselves, and forget they are public servants, paid to serve the people of Sheffield

Voting time soon. I hope people don't just blindly vote Labour again, and the point is sent across via democracy.

Voting time soon. I hope people don't just blindly vote Labour again, and the point is sent across via democracy.

They will. Just look at Sheffield’s voting history.

As I have said previously it is only a small part of Sheffield’s population that has any interest in the trees, and I dare say that only a small part of that population will change the voting habit of a lifetime over a few trees.

Although I would be interested to see if it does have any bearing in the next election. But I won’t hold my breath.

---------- Post added 23-02-2018 at 18:59 ----------

Just read this. It looks like things will be moving up a gear:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-43170036

Guest makapaka

There was an interesting interview with the police on radio sheffield yesterday regarding the assault charges brought to some of the protestors-an Amey operatives wrist was broken.

They will. Just look at Sheffield’s voting history.

As I have said previously it is only a small part of Sheffield’s population that has any interest in the trees, and I dare say that only a small part of that population will change the voting habit of a lifetime over a few trees.

Although I would be interested to see if it does have any bearing in the next election. But I won’t hold my breath.

---------- Post added 23-02-2018 at 18:59 ----------

Just read this. It looks like things will be moving up a gear:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-43170036

I hope that the dislike of the council extends beyond the trees into other groups really- things like the library debacle, the refusal to disclose details of PFI agreements, and other issues I'm probably not even aware of all reach different people, who may feel moved to vote differently. Here's hoping anyway- a change is due, and would be a good thing in terms of reminding people that they are accountable, and that they're not on some lifetime golden ticket. Without change it's inevitable that elected powers become complacent, arrogant or even outright corrupt over time.

I honestly can't believe the tree felling programme is continuing, despite everything. The absolute logical thing to do at this juncture would be to discuss and to have an independent survey conducted, rather than continue? I imagine the police aren't exactly thrilled at the prospect of getting involved in this nonsense.

Guest makapaka
I hope that the dislike of the council extends beyond the trees into other groups really- things like the library debacle, the refusal to disclose details of PFI agreements, and other issues I'm probably not even aware of all reach different people, who may feel moved to vote differently. Here's hoping anyway- a change is due, and would be a good thing in terms of reminding people that they are accountable, and that they're not on some lifetime golden ticket. Without change it's inevitable that elected powers become complacent, arrogant or even outright corrupt over time.

I honestly can't believe the tree felling programme is continuing, despite everything. The absolute logical thing to do at this juncture would be to discuss and to have an independent survey conducted, rather than continue? I imagine the police aren't exactly thrilled at the prospect of getting involved in this nonsense.

The previous council set up the pfi contract.

There was an interesting interview with the police on radio sheffield yesterday regarding the assault charges brought to some of the protestors-an Amey operatives wrist was broken.

Much of what Assistant Chief Constable David Hartley said in that interview was factually incorrect. In particular, every single protester who was arrested during the MPR disturbances was either de-arrested on the spot (after protesters showed video to the police that contradicted the false claims of Amey staff), or later had all charges dropped.

He tried to claim that all the violence was caused by the protesters; in fact the violence has been exclusively by the bouncers as far as we can tell.

It is still the case that no tree protester has ever been prosecuted for any crime involving violence, intimidation, or damage to property.

On the other hand, one of the bouncers was caught on 3 videos from three different angles, punching a protester. But David Hartley admited in the interview that they only look at video spoon-fed to them by SCC/Amey and ignore protesters' videos.

We don't yet know any of the details of the broken wrist, but my suspicion is that it will have been the result of violent actions by the bouncers themselves. For example we have on video one bouncer hitting his own supervisor on the head by roughly yanking a section of Heras fencing towards him.

Guest makapaka
Much of what Assistant Chief Constable David Hartley said in that interview was factually incorrect. In particular, every single protester who was arrested during the MPR disturbances was either de-arrested on the spot (after protesters showed video to the police that contradicted the false claims of Amey staff), or later had all charges dropped.

He tried to claim that all the violence was caused by the protesters; in fact the violence has been exclusively by the bouncers as far as we can tell.

It is still the case that no tree protester has ever been prosecuted for any crime involving violence, intimidation, or damage to property.

On the other hand, one of the bouncers was caught on 3 videos from three different angles, punching a protester. But David Hartley admited in the interview that they only look at video spoon-fed to them by SCC/Amey and ignore protesters' videos.

We don't yet know any of the details of the broken wrist, but my suspicion is that it will have been the result of violent actions by the bouncers themselves. For example we have on video one bouncer hitting his own supervisor on the head by roughly yanking a section of Heras fencing towards him.

He said that the prosecution was ongoing.

Are you saying I should disbelieve the assistant chief constable of the police because he’s lying? Why would he do that?

He said that the prosecution was ongoing.

Are you saying I should disbelieve the assistant chief constable of the police because he’s lying? Why would he do that?

I never said he was lying. I personally believe he has been badly misinformed about various aspects of the protests, possibly because, as he admitted in the interview, he's only been listening to SCC/Amey.

It is indeed likely that there are ongoing investigations into alleged violence by protesters, and that he anticipates further arrests. It doesn't necessarily follow that the arrests will take place, or that the CPS will prosecute.

When he said that a "number of arrests have been made they've been made for assault", he failed to mention (possibly because he wasn't aware) that all the arrests for assault so far have resulted in no charges. It is of course possible that there are recent arrests that I am not aware of.

But overall the effect of the interview was for him to project a highly misleading impression of the situation on the ground. In the last day, several people, including Councillor Teal, have written to him to try and correct his misapprehensions.