Uber Sheffield suspended from 16th December.

So Uber isn't fit to operate in London and now York.....but it is in Sheffield?

Surely if it's unfit for purpose in those places in should be everywhere?

I've no interest in ever using it, for many reasons, but if safety is an issue in London and York, why is it not deemed an issue here?

London hasn't suspended it for safety reasons (nor has the suspension actually taken effect).

So Uber isn't fit to operate in London and now York.....but it is in Sheffield?

Surely if it's unfit for purpose in those places in should be everywhere?

I've no interest in ever using it, for many reasons, but if safety is an issue in London and York, why is it not deemed an issue here?

only for political reasons, Uber is perfectly safe and gives a far better service than other cabs, far more convenient and also cheaper.

---------- Post added 14-12-2017 at 09:15 ----------

Uber are a cheep nasty company that exploits the drivers for their end goal of domination...they think they are above the law, and thankfully Sheffield Licensing have brought them to task....

really??? my experience says different.

---------- Post added 14-12-2017 at 09:16 ----------

I've been cut up by their drivers in the Eccy Road area on a couple of occasions, so won't be shedding any tears.

that can be applied to any taxi company who will all have the odd dodgy driver?

---------- Post added 14-12-2017 at 09:17 ----------

I've been cut up by their drivers in the Eccy Road area on a couple of occasions, so won't be shedding any tears.

that can be applied to any taxi company who will all have the odd dodgy driver? in fact that applies to all drivers especially women on the school run in chelsea tractors on eccy road.

No need to guild the lilly. Uber gives exactly the same service as other cabs, it's not more convenient, they drive to your door and then to where you want to to go, and it's not always cheaper, I quite often look at the price from uber, then phone city cabs.

Well said realcockney.

I am a regular user of uber in Sheffield and am pleased to say that I have always had excellent service from its drivers. The drivers have been invariably polite and efficient and the cars always modern and clean. As well as having cheaper fares than the black cabs, I like the fact that you can track the drivers as they approach to pick you up and are also given information about each driver. Details of each trip are recorded on your phone.

Opposition to uber seems to come mainly from people who have never used it, combined with vested interests, such as the Black cabs, and also the Luddite tendency.

No need to guild the lilly. Uber gives exactly the same service as other cabs, it's not more convenient, they drive to your door and then to where you want to to go, and it's not always cheaper, I quite often look at the price from uber, then phone city cabs.

not guilding anything, it is far more convenient, no waiting on the phone for an operator or engaged tone, or press this and that. you can exactly how long a cab will be and where they are, we have found 9 times out of ten they are cheaper and if it shows an expensive ride refresh it a couple of times and it usually reverts to a cheaper rate. cars are better and cleaner.

---------- Post added 14-12-2017 at 09:39 ----------

Well said realcockney.

I am a regular user of uber in Sheffield and am pleased to say that I have always had excellent service from its drivers. The drivers have been invariably polite and efficient and the cars always modern and clean. As well as having cheaper fares than the black cabs, I like the fact that you can track the drivers as they approach to pick you up and are also given information about each driver. Details of each trip are recorded on your phone.

Opposition to uber seems to come mainly from people who have never used it, combined with vested interests, such as the Black cabs, and also the Luddite tendency.

totally agree with all your points.

You've clearly not used city taxi's recently for comparison.

You don't wait on the phone for an operator, you press 1 on the keypad to confirm a pickup at your home location, quicker than launching Uber and waiting for GPS to get a location.

You might know how long it will take with Uber, that's often 20 - 30 minutes in Wadsley, city taxi's don't tell you, but it's generally about 5 minutes. That's a lot more convenience.

And despite your 9 times out of 10, on a Friday evening, Uber normally gives an estimated price that is 50% higher than I know city taxi's will charge.

The cars are not better or cleaner, that's just nonsense.

I use Uber, don't get me wrong. It's useful if I'm out in town or anywhere I don't know well. But the advantages you list are either not real or are inconsistent.

You've clearly not used city taxi's recently for comparison.

You don't wait on the phone for an operator, you press 1 on the keypad to confirm a pickup at your home location, quicker than launching Uber and waiting for GPS to get a location.

All fine and dandy if your journey begins at home...

London hasn't suspended it for safety reasons (nor has the suspension actually taken effect).

Yes it has. 'public safety' was given as a reason by tfl. An appeal is in process, hence why suspesnsion hasn't taken effect.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41363923

I find it strange that York and London deem it unsafe, but other areas do not. Presumably they have very valid concerns- and surely if the service is unsafe for some cities it is unsafe for them all?

Yes it has. 'public safety' was given as a reason by tfl. An appeal is in process, hence why suspesnsion hasn't taken effect.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41363923

I find it strange that York and London deem it unsafe, but other areas do not. Presumably they have very valid concerns- and surely if the service is unsafe for some cities it is unsafe for them all?

Much of the opposition to uber stems in my view from a deep seated aversion to large American multinationals (which is essentially what uber is). Some councils, particularly ruled by Labour or Lib-Dem coalitions would, I think, try to shut down McDonalds or other symbols of American global capitalism if they could.

The word 'unsafe' is a conveniently wide catch all category to justify virtually anything. Uber is certainly not unsafe for riders, as there are more safeguards than for other taxi services.

Of course, given the sheer scale of the über operation, there will be a few bad apples. If I remember rightly, some black cab drivers were heavily implicated in the grooming scandals in various cities. However, that would be no reason to shut down the black cab industry.

Other advantages of uber are that you don't have to fiddle with cash, or feel obligated to tip the driver. Also, I have always had very prompt service from uber drivers, normally having to wait only two or three minutes for a car to arrive. If you live out in the sticks, then obviously this may not be the case.

It's had a massive data breach, which it concealed for several years, leaking the private details of many users... That's unsafe.

---------- Post added 14-12-2017 at 15:21 ----------

In London it's specifically the hiring practices and checks on drivers

The body, which operates London's public transport network and regulates taxis in the capital, said Uber was "not fit and proper" to hold the licence. London mayor Sadiq Khan backed the decision.

There were potential public safety and security implications from the way the company is run, TfL said.

It pointed to Uber's approach to: reporting serious criminal offences; obtaining medical certificates; and background checks into drivers.

I wonder if other cab companies are held to a similar standard though, or if that's just a convenient stick to beat them with.

Edited by Cyclone

It's had a massive data breach, which it concealed for several years, leaking the private details of many users... That's unsafe.

---------- Post added 14-12-2017 at 15:21 ----------

In London it's specifically the hiring practices and checks on drivers

I wonder if other cab companies are held to a similar standard though, or if that's just a convenient stick to beat them with.

Many other large companies have had massive data breaches, including some leading banks. Uber has, I think, already addressed this problem.

As for checks on drivers, I would be surprised if all other companies had an unblemished record in this regard.

I do think that your last point s the crux of the problem, i.e. Some councils are out to get uber by hook or by crook.