Westways school

Think it’s the same headmistress who was sacked from Hallam school few years ago she made a great school very miserable sounds like she’s doing same again

Have a relative who works there - she hasn't actually gone on strike but there's been a lot of unrest since the new head arrived. The basic problem is the kids are being put under too much pressure to do English and Maths which is not being offset by enough playtime. For instance, one break for the early years children has been taken away - some of these kids aren't even 5 yet.

Yes, kids have to learn English & Maths, but they're still at the age where learning through play is a big part of the curriculum, which the new head either doesn't understand or doesn't believe.

In answer to your question, I believe the strike continues tomorrow and then for two days next week. Some classes are operating as usual as not all teachers are striking.

Edited by s6chris

Exactly what she did at Hallam primary took all the fun away but of a hitler

no breaks have been taken away from the children

I was under the impression that the headmistress had turned around several under-performing schools, including Hallam, and that's what she's been brought in to do at Westways?

She was at Birley Spa last year. An absolutely awful head teacher, thought she was above everyone else and a law unto herself. I was fortunate enough to be able to move my child to another school as she was so unhappy there as were the teaching staff.

Think it’s the same headmistress who was sacked from Hallam school few years ago she made a great school very miserable sounds like she’s doing same again

She wasn’t sacked from Hallam.

Oh dear... It sounds awful.. We need to understand that these school audits and reports aren't really about maintaining or improving pupil achievement, they are about assessing teachers, largely on criteria established by government ministers. To me this reveals an arrogance in that government ministers believe they are great and model to society because of their success in becoming a government minister. They then conclude that this was down to their, undoubtedly, public school private education. Soooo, to improve society they whip everyone into shape and then everyone will be like those on top.. Of course they won't put the money in to support it. It's worth remembering that private sector teachers are given immense freedoms with curricula and their own performance. Children are seen as different and sport and play given good emphasis.

You can't whip kids to perform you have to inspire and let them become self motivated... Parental attitude is more important than teachers and bad parents will always blame the teachers first.... How many of those parents who moan about teachers are really exorcising their own demons about their own education failures and issues?

The real tragedy is that the system is making bad teachers, people who realise they can advance their own career and income by pursuing very restricted criteria which supposedly measure a child's fitness for life....

It's sad, children are different and we all should really should be there supporting them to find their own strengths on their own terms and developing pride, self knowledge and curiosity as they grow, not whipping them on to a banded Sat performance so a head teacher can show their own achievements, performance and move forward.. What a strange world it is that we now have schools which are now more about teachers passing tests and showing progression than children

Oh dear... It sounds awful.. We need to understand that these school audits and reports aren't really about maintaining or improving pupil achievement, they are about assessing teachers, largely on criteria established by government ministers. To me this reveals an arrogance in that government ministers believe they are great and model to society because of their success in becoming a government minister. They then conclude that this was down to their, undoubtedly, public school private education. Soooo, to improve society they whip everyone into shape and then everyone will be like those on top.. Of course they won't put the money in to support it. It's worth remembering that private sector teachers are given immense freedoms with curricula and their own performance. Children are seen as different and sport and play given good emphasis.

You can't whip kids to perform you have to inspire and let them become self motivated... Parental attitude is more important than teachers and bad parents will always blame the teachers first.... How many of those parents who moan about teachers are really exorcising their own demons about their own education failures and issues?

The real tragedy is that the system is making bad teachers, people who realise they can advance their own career and income by pursuing very restricted criteria which supposedly measure a child's fitness for life....

It's sad, children are different and we all should really should be there supporting them to find their own strengths on their own terms and developing pride, self knowledge and curiosity as they grow, not whipping them on to a banded Sat performance so a head teacher can show their own achievements, performance and move forward.. What a strange world it is that we now have schools which are now more about teachers passing tests and showing progression than children

What a load of ill informed clap trap.

My son is a Y2 student at Westways and I can hand on heart say that since the new head has been appointed his reading has improved, as has his writing and Maths. The reading books that he brings home are the same as the ones that other schools have been using for over a year, and speaking to parents from other schools they can't believe how out of date and touch Westways was under the old regime. Some people don't like change and are too set in their ways. I have only had a positive experience since the new head came on board.