Ex Chaucer School pupils

I remember all the teachers names but not pupils ..

‘I went to Chaucer 1970 to 1975 

‘I think the last teacher who taught me was collinson

Hi I didnt go  to Chaucer but I knew a few who did. Does any one remember a girl called Margaret Hill . She lived on Pollard Cres

I attended Chaucer School in the early days when it became a comprehensive school.

I hated every minute there.

i remember Mr Fleming, a nasty piece of work. Mr Cornthwaite wasn't much better.

Mr Collinson was the library guy. There was a maths teacher called Littlewood and a biology teacher Mrs Reid, they were nice enough.

i seem to remember the headmaster being called Humpstone.

On 22/02/2020 at 01:43, MillerMike said:

I attended Chaucer School in the early days when it became a comprehensive school.

I hated every minute there.

i remember Mr Fleming, a nasty piece of work. Mr Cornthwaite wasn't much better.

Mr Collinson was the library guy. There was a maths teacher called Littlewood and a biology teacher Mrs Reid, they were nice enough.

i seem to remember the headmaster being called Humpstone.

I hated it too but as I recall Mr Dowson was the library teacher and Mr Collinson a very nice man was also involved with teaching us how to dance , being a member of the Collinson school of dancing.

Yes Mr Cornthwaite could be very strict,  Mrs Wilkinson I could not stand.

Mr Darvil was our headmaster , there was a Mr Popple and Mr Newman  the deputy  head he was short and stubby and strict.

Mr Harding, Mr Howland,  Mr Price.  Mr Hand the music teacher.

I went to Chaucer (occasionally) in the 60s, when it was first a comprehensive, moving from Hillsborough primary in 1964.  I didn't get on with it at all and there were few memorable teachers: Miss Ramsbottom (I think) was a music teacher, young and quite pretty!  I didn't learn much about music though; if it weren't Beatles I wasn't interested at the time.  Of course I remember Mr. Fleming but I never understood why he put the fear of God into everyone.  Yes if he caned you you felt it but when he did you probably deserved it (by the standards of the day of course).  I was never in his class but he covered for absent teachers for one or two lessons and you could always distract him with flowers and gardening.  I used to see him pretty often in the 1980s after he had retired and I had a young family, he used to do some gardening for folk up Stannington where I lived for a number of years.  Whenever I saw him he always made a point of talking to me, even though he never really taught me, and he would give me 50p for my kids.  He was an OK guy really.  Played snooker a lot and used to carry his cue on his Honda 50.  Thankfully education in this country has come on a long way since then; it did nothing for me, I left with no qualifications at all; I didn't turn up for the exams!  I went to Northern College in the early 1990s as a mature student and ended up with a Degree.  Now that's education.