Ex Chaucer School pupils

To 'Mikebatty'. I remember all the teachers that you mention but you must have been a different class to me as I don't remember the pupils.

I was in the netball team and was also a 'runner' and took part in any of the track events but never got the hang of tennis. Still havn't and my husband won't play with me anymore as he says I am dangerous (the balls never seem to go where I want to send them!!).

What 'house' were you in? There was Peveril (me), Haddon, Chatsworth and Welbeck. I seem to remember that Haddon or Chatsworth always won.

Also remember an 'end of term' rounders match beween boys and girls during which a boy smashed the ball (corky) onto the back of my hand (it was an accident). Needless to say it broke four bones in the back on my hand and I was weeks with only my thumb sticking out. Still have difficulty with the hand!

Because of when my birthday fell I left school still aged 14 as my birthday was in the Easter holiday. I had to wait to start work until I reached 15.

Didn't we feel grown up!!!

Hi .

I suspect your knowing Susan was either the same year as her or , perhaps you played rounders together . Either way I left Chaucer Christmas 1959 and started work on 29th. Dec. , when I was 15.

Leaving school did make you feel grown up . However , starting work was like a fresher just having been sent up . The " New kid on the block " so to speak.

My goodness what a culture shock .

I do remember the houses you mentioned , but do you know I can't for the life of me remember which I belonged to .

does anybody remember this lot start with pupils terence healy simon macarthy andrew beckingham matthew hart martin howell brett stringer stuart stancil glyn williams graham hodgson lisa woodcock twinny claire and lisa simmonds what they all up to now and what about teacher mr fogg mrs bickerstaff mr crow mrs watson mrs sellars mr heppenstall mr price mrs kverchinski this was school years 85-90

Just going through some old threads and came across this. I went to Chaucer between 64 - 68 and prior to that Meynell Road.

The people I used to knock around with were Sue Bentley, Julie Elliott, Beverley Batty, Hazel Betts (who I still stay in touch with). The others I remember are Rita Ransom, Rita Rhodes, Margaret McDonald, Dilys Gannon, Linda France who married John Hudson (they were headgirl and headboy when I was at school), John

I remember Mr Fleming although I never had him for a teacher - thank goodness! The other teachers I remember are Mr Hoyland (History I think - believe he married the PE teacher - Miss Robinson). Mr Newham, Mr Plant (think he might have been the Head and came from Meynell Road School). Miss Searle. These are the only ones who spring to mind.

It has certainly been a trip down memory lane reading all the threads. I went to Chaucer in later years to do an evening class and was quite saddened as to how it had gone down hill. I presume that it must be in quite a bad shape now unless they have spent some money on it.

I remember the 6th form block - although I never went in it as I left before the 6th year.

Does anyone from that era remember the "cross country running" we used to do round the "block" of the school. Don't suppose they would allow that these days.

Also, when we had cookery lessons it was often left to pupils to go down to the local shop and buy all the ingedrients. I remember on one occasion going to collect a box full of goods with another girl and we were absolutely frozen when we got back - practically fainting with the cold and the weight of the box. The teachers were wondering where we had got to as it took us so long to carry it back! What memories.

And those bottles of milk!! Well what can be said about those - warm milk at breaktime - yuk!

Hope there are other people out there who remember some of the names I have mentioned. Would be lovely to hear from them.

Hi there

I was at Chaucer from 64-68,I was in mr Flemings class in the third year.some of the names you said seem familiar,rita Rhodes Rita ransom.the lads where,jimmy knight,Edwin lazenby,dave wood,terry Leary ,Paul lowly ,Trevor Sykes.and me Ron Eales I used to love gardening with mr Fleming.i have seen some of the threads on here about him ,but I think he was a very good teacher(and I got stick off him).he was ok with you if you were ok. With him,but woe betide anyone who crossed him.looking at today's schools what do you think would happen to some of these rowdy ones .i found him firm but fair.

Hi there

I was at Chaucer from 64-68,I was in mr Flemings class in the third year.some of the names you said seem familiar,rita Rhodes Rita ransom.the lads where,jimmy knight,Edwin lazenby,dave wood,terry Leary ,Paul lowly ,Trevor Sykes.and me Ron Eales I used to love gardening with mr Fleming.i have seen some of the threads on here about him ,but I think he was a very good teacher(and I got stick off him).he was ok with you if you were ok. With him,but woe betide anyone who crossed him.looking at today's schools what do you think would happen to some of these rowdy ones .i found him firm but fair.

I was at Chaucer from 64 to 67, I went there from Marlcliffe, I remember Mr Flemming, we had him for English but always did gardening. He used to give us spellings to learn like antidisestablishmentarianism and pneumonoultramicrospicscillicovanosis and then cane you if you got it wrong. I hope he dosn't come after me if I've got it wrong again.

Alan

does anybody remember this lot start with pupils terence healy simon macarthy andrew beckingham matthew hart martin howell brett stringer stuart stancil glyn williams graham hodgson lisa woodcock twinny claire and lisa simmonds what they all up to now and what about teacher mr fogg mrs bickerstaff mr crow mrs watson mrs sellars mr heppenstall mr price mrs kverchinski this was school years 85-90
Lisa Woodcockmarried my cousin.

All my family went to chaucer does anyone remember Neville Watson left in 1974, david smith left in 81, karen smith and andrew smith both left in 86
I remember Nev,and his sister,Sharon. I bumped into SandraScott the other day,she was shocked to hear she was mentioned on here,and more shocked to be aged by 9 years.....she is indeed only 56,NOT 65 as you said......although to be fair,she did say she FELT 65.

I remember Nev,and his sister,Sharon. I bumped into SandraScott the other day,she was shocked to hear she was mentioned on here,and more shocked to be aged by 9 years.....she is indeed only 56,NOT 65 as you said......although to be fair,she did say she FELT 65.

You may have known my dad then, he was 56 and went to Chaucer. Edwin Barry Bell. Passed away earlier this month.

My cousin (Pamela Green) was Head Girl there and my brother (Brian Marshall) also attended

I was a friend of Pamela Green in the 6th form at Chaucer and have often wondered what she did after leaving Oxford.

Well then its 100% a totally different Sandra Scott to the one I meant, who is 66 and 67 in November :hihi:

It is impossible for my Grandma to be only 10 years older than my dad, so I'm pretty sure its a different one :lol:

Cojunon=I was with Jimmy Knight last friday,at a funeral.I was at Chaucer with Jimmys' older brother Norman.I see Norman pretty regular,but thats the first time I've seen Jimmy for about 30yrs.

I was a friend of Pamela Green in the 6th form at Chaucer and have often wondered what she did after leaving Oxford.

Hi Kerley.

I remember attending Pamela's wedding on the day of the Bradford City stadium fire.

Pam and her husband lived in Glasgow for a long time, they may still be there - I lost touch a long time ago. I believe Pamela was involved in some kind of social work

She was always my favourite cousin

I think my sister still bumps into Pam's sister Norma now and again.

Best

Keith

I went to chaucer and remember MR.Flemming . Does anyone one remember Elaine Gill londoner Jannet Tether