Ex Chaucer School pupils

We had Mr Williams at Meynell - Samuel Redfus Williams he was fab - I left Meynell in 1963 moved onto Granville College. Chaucer was just a new school then.

What year did you start or what is your D.O.B ?

Your name is familiar. Are you my nephew Dave?

---------- Post added 21-12-2012 at 14:24 ----------

I must know you , maybe.

Graham Earnshaw lived in the same " yard " as me, I know Pamella Evans, Christines Hinchcliffe and I believe I saw Stuart Baines last month but wasn't

sure if it was him.

Will never forget Miss Hart and I do remember Mrs Cooke. We had Mr Popple for geography. Mr Howland also went up to Chaucer.

Hi, I`ve just joined this forum and have enjoyed reading some of these posts. I`m curious as to who you are as you say you lived in the same `yard` as Graham Earnshaw. Would that be in Montgomery Terrace Road? I lived there from 1944 to 1953 but still continued going to Philadelphia school. I started at Chaucer when it first opened after Easter 1958. Miss Cooke (art) was my form teacher (S2) but only for one term, then Mr Cornthwaite (maths) S3 and finally Mr Newham (S4) for one term as I left at Christmas 1959.

I believe Graham went on to be a police inspector. You may know my sister too---Kath Cornthwaite. Happy days.....

Ross Crowe is the dame in Grenoside Panto this year. The ol guys keeps on going!

Defo the best teacher ever.

^^^ Seconded. Although she never taught me, Mrs Sellors seems to be a firm favourite as well.

does anybody remember this lot start with pupils terence healy simon macarthy andrew beckingham matthew hart martin howell brett stringer stuart stancil glyn williams graham hodgson lisa woodcock twinny claire and lisa simmonds what they all up to now and what about teacher mr fogg mrs bickerstaff mr crow mrs watson mrs sellars mr heppenstall mr price mrs kverchinski this was school years 85-90

i went to chaucer, was year below stuart stancill, he is now my best friend who i work and holiday with

^^^ Seconded. Although she never taught me, Mrs Sellors seems to be a firm favourite as well.

Lisa Woodcock married my cousin, Andrew Wragg.

It's O.K. only problem is my old grey matter is on top of my head .

Some of the pupils that I remember are Jean Wood ( she wore dark rimmed specs and we all thought she looked like a secretary) , Kath Wild , Ian Laughton,

Malcalm Wood , Rodney Thompson , Phil Shields , Peter Hancock but a few .

Some of the teachers :- Alsop (woodwork ), Ketteringham (history ) ' Collinson

(social studies ) , Harding - Goffer -( engineering ) , Wally Hand ( music ) ,

Cornthwait ( tech. drawing ), Dowson ( maths and library ) Miss Hart ( english ),

Mrs. Ramsbottom ( poetry and R.I. ) and Price ( p.e. and Games ).

Wally Hand also used to be the principle organist at Ranmoor Church .

Goffer Harding was an absolute hoot of a character , with some of the tales of his past .

You are absolutely right in saying " Happy days " . I think that I would be safe in saying that they were all lovely characters each in their own right and , all respected for their professional competence .

If I might add as a little rider ; during lunch time we would hire tennis racket and balls for one 1/2 d , to play on the tennis courts on Hallifax Road .

Yes " Happy Days ".

Hi,just read your thread , what memories , I didnt go to Chaucer as I left Parkside rd. in 57 but Ido remember Mr. Harding , we used to get him talking about the war probably for the rest of the lesson. He talked about Popskies private army most of the time . He once told us he was hit on the head by shrapnell ,one boy disputed this so he called him out and made him feel the hollow in the top of his head .wonderfull memories thanks.

i went to chaucer, was year below stuart stancill, he is now my best friend who i work and holiday with

My daughter Karen Blackwell (Marriott) remembers them all.

I was there for a short time about 1972.

Ross Crowe was a young(ish) teacher at Halifax then and mad as a hatter.

Think the head was a Mr Wrag who walked with a limp. He had a thrombosis in his leg and had to wear a caliper. Can't really remember any other teachers.

I remember one night a kid rode his motor bike in the drive and lost controle (Wordsworth side). The bike hit the window to the caretaker's flat (Bert Wrag) and ended up with the front wheel resting on his tv

Yes,the name rings a bell.Did you go to Meynell first or were you a Chaucer lass?

No I went to Burton Street also known as Langsett Road.

I went to Chaucer, Left around 1990-1991. What a laugh them years were.

My name is Mick Murdoch anyone else go when i was there.

Knocked about with Paul Johnson(JOHNO) & Tommy Fowler & still do.Also T-BAG not seen him for years.

My son Brandon is now at Chaucer & wow has it all changed...:hihi:

Hi

My name was Karen Marriott when I was at Chaucer. I remember Tommy Fowler and his older brother Peter.

Hi

My name was Karen Marriott when I was at Chaucer. I remember Tommy Fowler and his older brother Peter.

I seem to remember going to school with you (i think? - sure we spoke a few years ago through friends reunited or somewhere lol).. what was your school prior to Chaucer?

Went to Chaucer '91 - '96 and, as I've already read it a million times but I'll say it anyway, Mr Crowe was a fantastic teacher!

Was in Mrs Tempest's class (fab also) and had Mr Seal for English, who I'll always remember coz he thought I was great!!!!

Did anyone go on residential with Mr Crowe? We did - twice! How that man can drink! We trashed one of the mini-buses in an 'accident' where someone (ahem...no names...) let the handbrake off outside the cottage. Does anyone remember that? Was brill!!!

I remember that lol. I was there from 94-99 and that story became legend lol

---------- Post added 12-01-2014 at 10:05 ----------

Ross Crowe is the dame in Grenoside Panto this year. The ol guys keeps on going!

Defo the best teacher ever.

I was in greno panto for 7 years with mr Crowe. My mum and dad are great friends of his and they still perform on stage with him. He is just genuinely a nice guy, it's him that guided me into panto when I was in year 10 because I was shy and quiet and he did it to help me gain confidence and come out of my shell. I have a lot to thank him for. What you see is what you get and he is great fun :)